Say It Aint So Joe. Test. Flav. Eusebius Author/Discoverer?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

Say It Aint So Joe. Test. Flav. Eusebius Author/Discoverer?

Post by JoeWallack »

Say It Aint So Joe. Testimonium Flavium. Will Eusebius Be Convicted In Civil Court?

JW:
Evidence for this conclusion has recently been stoked in higher criticism circles by Dr. Richard Carrier:

The Testimonium Flavianum

who invokes possibly the second most foremost Eusebian critic Ken Olson and his foremost related article:

Olson A Eusebian Reading of the Testimonium Flavianum 2013

in offense of Eusebius.

While my own opinion of Eusebius (you say "Eusebias" I say "Eusebs") is that he was a lying, cheatin, no-good, low-down, double-dealing, double-Crossing Monssouri scum, for those who require more than just my say-so to convict him (like evidence), I have previously postured the following:

CIRCUMSTANTIAL

1) Discovery

1 - No evidence for the TF before Eusebius
  • 1) General silence - expectation that if the
    TF existed it would have been used due to its importance
    to Christianity.

2) Specific silence - http://vridar.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/josephus/

ca.140 CE Justin Martyr

For the Cave, consider that Justin was a philosopher in
    Rome and his interests were:

1) Jesus

2) 1st century Israel

3) Arguing with Pagan and Jewish philosophers

The related question should be:

Why wouldn't Justin be familiar with Josephus?

I also wonder if the Cave is even willing to concede that
    extant Church Father writings prove the Fathers could
    read and write. Maybe they just dictated, or maybe they
    became blind or maybe they were temporarily sight-
    impared while Josephus was in front of them.

ca.170 CE Theophilus - uses Josephus

ca.180 CE Irenaeus - uses Josephus

ca.190 CE Clement of Alexandria - uses Josephus

ca.200 CE Tertullian - uses Josephus

ca.200 CE Minucius Felix - uses Josephus

ca.210 CE Hippolytus - uses Josephus

ca.220 CE Sextus Julius Africanus - uses Josephus

ca.230 CE Origen - uses Josephus

ca.240 CE Cyprian

ca.270 CE Anatolius - uses Josephus

ca.290 CE Arnobius

ca.300 CE Methodius - uses Josephus

ca.300 CE Lactantius

Of the 14 Fathers here who show no awareness of the TF
    10 show use of Josephus. Comically, Roger Pearse started this
    list in order to demonstrate that the Fathers in general would
    have no interest in Josephus and ends up demonstrating that
    the conclusion he disputes is correct.
2 - Evidence that the TF was created during the career of Eusebius

2) Familiarity - Parallels to Eusebius' own Adversus Hieroclem.

3) Language - The key phrases are generally Eusebian and not Josephan.

4) Context - The context of the TF is contrary to Josephus.

5) Manuscript - Relative uniformity of the TF post Eusebian.

6) Lack of any coherent argument for originality.

JW:
I'd like to point out in general that when there is a position that is generally thought of as being a problem for Christianity, there is no shortage of Christian Internet authors inspired by Motive & Opportunity attempting articles questioning the generally accepted problem, such as the ending of "Mark":

The End of The Word According to Gar. Was the Original Ending of "Mark" Lost?

Going the other way, Christianity generally thinks that Josephus is support for HJ so there is little Motive & Opportunity attempting articles questioning this support. Ken Olson has largely been the beneficiary of this lack of interest and his resulting articles are illustrative that the subject world is like a great big Peshutty waiting to get phoenucked.

One of his primary points in general is superior literary parallels between the TF and Eusebius than the TF and Josephus. In his latest effort he gives even more specific parallels between the TF and Eusebius to the point of simultaneously showing off/looking like he is not even trying. He goes beyond this though to demonstrating a complete parallel in context between the TF and Eusebius.

This parallel is in:

Eusebius of Caesarea: Demonstratio Evangelica. Tr. W.J. Ferrar (1920) -- Book 3

courtesy of our own Roger Pearse.

The offending verses:
And here it will not be inappropriate for me to make use of the evidence of the Hebrew Josephus 76 as |143 well, who in the eighteenth chapter of The Archaeology of the Jews, in his record of the times of Pilate, mentions our Saviour in these words:

"And Jesus arises at that time, a wise man, if it is befitting to call him a man. For he was a doer of no common works, a teacher of men who reverence truth. And he gathered many of the Jewish and many of the Greek race. This was Christus; and when Pilate (c) condemned him to the Cross on the information of our rulers, his first followers did not cease to revere him. For he appeared to them the third day alive again, the divine prophets having foretold this, and very many other things about him. And from that time to this the tribe of the Christians has not failed." 77
Olson commentary:
What Eusebius is seeking to show in Book III is that Jesus has not only a human nature, but a divine one as well. He goes about this by arguing that Jesus coming as Christ was foretold in prophecy, that he was not a deceiver but a teacher of true doctrines, that he performed superhuman feats, and that he did not perform these feats by sorcery. At the end of Book III, Eusebius concludes that a man who was not a sorcerer but a man of good character (as Porphyry himself allowed he was), yet could perform wonders beyond human ability,must necessarily have been superhuman in his nature.19
As an ostensibly outside witness to the fact that the man Jesus was not merely human in his nature but evidenced the things foretold of the Christ in prophecy, the Testimonium repre-sents an encapsulation of Eusebius argument. It therefore has its most plausible Sitz-im-Leben in the pagan-Christian controversies of the fourth century. This was the period in which the question of whether Jesus was merely a wise man or something more was being debated. The first half of the Testimonium seems to address precisely this issue.
JW:
Olson's argument is that ALL of the points of the TF are needed for Eusebius' surrounding conceptual argument. So good candidates for the relationship explanation are either that Eusebius outright edited or at least used a questionable source for Josephus here or tailored his entire lengthy related argument to one paragraph of Josephus that everyone would agree was not originally written by Josephus. Olson prefers the former.

Josephus

ErrancyWiki
Last edited by JoeWallack on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
maryhelena

Re: Say It Aint So Joe. Test. Flav. Eusebius Author/Discover

Post by maryhelena »

Eusebius had a problem. That problem was the Acts of Pilate. A source known to Eusebius. That source referenced a crucifixion in the 7th year of Tiberius. That would be either 19 or 21 c.e. (Tiberius co-regency from 12 c.e.)

A crucifixion in the 7th year of Tiberius does not fit with gLuke and a nativity story set in the 6 c.e. census of Quirinus. A crucifixion set in 19 c.e. would suggest a Jesus figure born much earlier than the usual gMatthew dating of 4 b.c. The gJohn story has it’s Jesus figure not yet 50 years old. Using that data backwards from 19 c.e. and one gets to around 30 b.c.e. Slavonic Josephus has a birth narrative in the 15th year of Herod I. That would be around either 25 or 22 b.c.e. That is the problem facing Eusebius: An older than gLuke nativity and crucifixion story - a story that, seemingly, was well known enough to give Eusebius some trouble - and the motivation to do something about it. What he did is interpolate some Christian themes into the Josephan Antiquities. Whether or not Josephus wrote the original version of the TF, or he copied it from elsewhere, is really of secondary concern - the TF is there in Antiquities. The core of it remains of interest even without the Christian/Eusebius interpolations.

Below is a table demonstrating not only what Eusebius interpolated into the TF - but also his motivation for doing so.

Slavonic Josephus: Wonder-worker crucified under Pilate. (birth narrative of anointed one = prior to 15th year of Herod I) Antiquities: TF placed prior to expulsion of Jews from Rome = 19 c.e. Acts of Pilate: Referenced by Eusebius. Crucifixion in the 7th year of Tiberius. 19 or 21 c.e. Eusebius: The History of the Church (p. 19). Kindle Edition. gLuke: Birth narrative moved to 6 c.e. Crucifixion under Pilate - after 15th year of Tiberius. gLuke updates the Slavonic Josephus wonder-worker story. Thus allowing the TF to be read outside the Acts of Pilate timeline. Eusebius: The History of the Church (p. 20). Kindle Edition. Antiquities: TF. Interpolated with Jesus and Christ - thereby causing the Josephan dating of the TF to conflict with Eusebius interpolation - and gLuke
At that time also a man came forward,—if even it is fitting to call him a man [simply]. His nature as well as his form were a man's; but his showing forth was more than [that] of a man...and many souls were aroused, thinking that by him the Jewish tribes would free themselves from the hands of the Romans. Now there was about this time a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; For the things which they have dared to say concerning the passion of the Saviour are put into the fourth consulship of Tiberius, which occurred in the seventh year of his reign; at which time it is plain that Pilate was not yet ruling in Judea, if the testimony of Josephus is to be believed, who clearly shows in the above-mentioned work that Pilatewas made procurator of Judea by Tiberius in the twelfth year of his reign. The Emmaus Narrative:“About Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “He was a prophet"..........but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel" Now there was about this timeJesus a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; And there lived at that timeJesusa wise man, if indeed it be proper to call him a man.
His works, that is to say, were godly, and he wrought wonder-deeds amazing and full of power. Therefore it is not possible for me to call him a man [simply]. But again, looking at the existence he shared with all, I would also not call him an angel...And many from the folk followed him and received his teachings.. for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. powerful in word and deed before God and all the people For he was a doer of wonderful works, and a teacher of such men as receive the truth in gladness.... And he attached to himself many of the Jews, and many also of the Greeks. He was the Christ. for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jewsand many of the Gentiles. He was the Messiah.
The teachers of the Law were [therefore] envenomed with envy and gave thirty talents to Pilate, in order that he should put him to death. And he, after he had taken [the money], gave them consent that they should themselves carry out their purpose. And they took him and crucified him according to the ancestral law And when Pilate,at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross... those who had loved him previously did not cease to do so. The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; When Pilate, on the accusation of our principal men, condemned him to the cross...those who had loved him in the beginning did not cease loving him. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the crossthose that loved him at the first did not forsake him;.
Again Claudius sent his authorities to those states—Cuspius Fadus and Tiberius Alexander......many had been discovered as servants of the previously described wonder-doer; and as they spake to the people about their teacher ”that he is living, although he is dead,and that he will free you from your servitude,—many from the folk gave ear to the above-named and took upon themselves their precept.. And what is more, ”it is the third day since all this took place.... They asked each other, ”Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the roadand opened the Scriptures to us?” They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together and saying,“It is true! The Lord has risen. Moreover, the race of Christians, named after him, continues down to the present day.For he appeared unto them again alive on the third day, the divine prophets having told these and countless other wonderful things concerning him. for he appeared to them alive again the third day, just as the divine prophets had foretold these and countless other wonderful things about him. The tribe of the Christians, so named after him, survive to the present day

(brown= Eusebius interpolations in the Josephan TF. red=the interpolated 'Jesus' in the TF.)
Last edited by maryhelena on Sun May 25, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
Metacrock

Post by Metacrock »

JoeWallack wrote:Say It Aint So Joe. Testimonium Flavium. Will Eusebius Be Convicted In Civil Court?

JW:
Evidence for this conclusion has recently been stoked in higher criticism circles by Dr. Richard Carrier:

The Testimonium Flavianum

who invokes possibly the second most foremost Eusebian critic Ken Olson and his foremost related article:

Olson A Eusebian Reading of the Testimonium Flavianum 2013

in offense of Eusebius.

While my own opinion of Eusebius (you say "Eusebias" I say "Eusebs") is that he was a lying, cheatin, no-good, low-down, double-dealing, double-Crossing Monssouri scum, for those who require more than just my say-so to convict him (like evidence), I have previously postured the following:

Eusebius did not say it's ok to lie for the faith. Gibbon said it. E. was good historian.

http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/euseb ... htfoot.htm
CIRCUMSTANTIAL

1) Discovery

1 - No evidence for the TF before Eusebius
  • 1) General silence - expectation that if the
    TF existed it would have been used due to its importance
    to Christianity.
b) Passage known prior to Eusebius

Nor is it ture that our first indication of the existence of the Passage begins with Eusebuis:

Again, the same conclusion follows from the fact that Origen knew a Josephan text about Jesus, but was not acquainted with our present reading; for, according to the great Alexandrian doctor, Josephus did not believe that Jesus was the Messias ("In Matth.", xiii, 55; "Contra Cels.", I, 47).

2) Specific silence - http://vridar.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/josephus/

ca.140 CE Justin Martyr

For the Cave, consider that Justin was a philosopher in
Rome and his interests were:

1) Jesus

2) 1st century Israel

3) Arguing with Pagan and Jewish philosophers

The related question should be:

Why wouldn't Justin be familiar with Josephus?

I also wonder if the Cave is even willing to concede that
extant Church Father writings prove the Fathers could
read and write. Maybe they just dictated, or maybe they
became blind or maybe they were temporarily sight-
impared while Josephus was in front of them.

ca.170 CE Theophilus - uses Josephus

ca.180 CE Irenaeus - uses Josephus

ca.190 CE Clement of Alexandria - uses Josephus

ca.200 CE Tertullian - uses Josephus

ca.200 CE Minucius Felix - uses Josephus

ca.210 CE Hippolytus - uses Josephus

ca.220 CE Sextus Julius Africanus - uses Josephus

ca.230 CE Origen - uses Josephus

ca.240 CE Cyprian

ca.270 CE Anatolius - uses Josephus

ca.290 CE Arnobius

ca.300 CE Methodius - uses Josephus

ca.300 CE Lactantius

Of the 14 Fathers here who show no awareness of the TF
10 show use of Josephus. Comically, Roger Pearse started this
list in order to demonstrate that the Fathers in general would
have no interest in Josephus and ends up demonstrating that
the conclusion he disputes is correct.[/list]
c)Silence of Early writters is explianed

Second, it is true that neither Tertullian nor St. Justin makes use of Josephus's passage concerning Jesus; but this silence is probably due to the contempt with which the contemporary Jews regarded Josephus, and to the relatively little authority he had among the Roman readers. Writers of the age of Tertullian and Justin could appeal to living witnesses of the Apostolic tradition. (Ibid)

In other words, since we know of other Ms with different emmendations, we know that there is no real reason to pretend that Eusebius made up the passage. The passage was known in Eusebius' form: J.B. Lightfoot, Eusebius of Caesarea, (article. pp.308-348), Dictionary of Christian Biography: Literature, Sects and Doctrines, ed. by William Smith and Henry Wace, Volume II (EABA-HERMOCRATES). This excerpt pp.324-5.

This treatment may be regarded as too great a sacrifice to edification. It may discredit his conception of history; but it leaves no imputation on his honesty. Nor again can the special charges against his honour as a narrator be sustained. There is no ground whatever for the surmise that Eusebius forged or interpolated the passage from Josephus relating to our Lord quoted in H. E. i 11, though Heinichen (iii. p. 623 sq., Melet. ii.) is disposed to entertain the charge. Inasmuch as this passage is contained in all our extant MSS, and there is sufficient evidence that other interpolations (though not this) were introduced into the text of Josephus long before his time (see Orig. c. Cels. i. 47, Delarue’s note), no suspicion can justly. attach to Eusebius himself. Another interpolation in the Jewish historian, which he quotes elsewhere (ii. 23), was certainly known to Origen (l. c.). Doubtless also the omission of the owl in the account of Herod Agrippa’s death (H. E. ii. 10) was already in some texts of Josephus (Ant. xix. 8, 2).

Lightfoot was, of course, one of the true greats of chruch historiography and Biblical scholarship.
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/
Metacrock

Post by Metacrock »

Hating Eusebius is the atheist code. thousands of people who never read a single word from his actual wrings believe him to be an evil Nazi merely become a fool in the 18th century lied about him. Now it's the sworn duty of all atheist to not only hate him but to voice their hared. The major strategy of the atheist world is to destroy the sources that support he Gospel.

stating that Eusebius was a bad dude is just like saying "I'm a good member of the pack in good standing I pay my atheist dues and i say all the expected things that free thinker is obligated and required to say."
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/
nili

Post by nili »

It's just really special to see cooler heads prevail and resolve this dispute, once and for all, in a mature and intellectually responsible manner.
toejam

Post by toejam »

Unless new Josephus manuscripts are found, I don't think this issue will ever be resolved. I simply don't think it can be with what we have access to at the moment. People will continue to produce 'arguments' for it's partial authenticity and its complete forgery. But it's a lost cause. Besides, I think the passage about James is more important anyway. A lot more hangs on that passage than the TF in my opinion.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

toejam wrote:Unless new Josephus manuscripts are found, I don't think this issue will ever be resolved. I simply don't think it can be with what we have access to at the moment. People will continue to produce 'arguments' for it's partial authenticity and its complete forgery. But it's a lost cause. Besides, I think the passage about James is more important anyway. A lot more hangs on that passage than the TF in my opinion.
Failing that i.e. new Josephan manuscripts, we do have to deal with what we have. And yes, arguments over the TF and the James passage are not going to be resolved by debating these two passages to death. That approach is simply to chop away at a couple of trees in the forest while the whole forest needs an environment friendly approach to its problems.

Which is to say that a different approach to the Josephan writings might hold the potential to save the two problem 'trees', (to understand what actually gives with the two questionable passages) but also to open up the forest as an environmentally friendly resource.

Two scholarly studies have suggested that the Josephan writer is a prophetic historian."Perhaps, in his own mind he is the first since the canonical prophets to generate inspired historiography....". "And it is probable that, with the passage of time, Josephus’ image of himself as a prophet became clearer in his own mind."

(Dreams and Dream Reports in the Writing of Josephus, A Traditio-Historical Analysis: Robert Karl Gnuse

Prophetic Figures in Late Second Temple Jewish Palestine: The Evidence from Josephus: Rebecca Gray)

Thus, simply viewing Josephus as a historian - and taking him to task on that basis - is to miss the thrust of his writing. And, consequently, suffer the frustration of endless debates over passages such as the TF and James the brother. Debates that cannot be resolved on the basis of these passage alone. The broader picture of the Josephan writing has to be acknowledged. It's the 'forest' that needs environmental attention not just it's two problem 'trees'.
W.B. Yeats
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

maryhelena wrote:
(Dreams and Dream Reports in the Writing of Josephus, A Traditio-Historical Analysis: Robert Karl Gnuse
Do you know of an inexpensive access to this?
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

toejam wrote: ... Besides, I think the passage about James is more important anyway. A lot more hangs on that passage than the TF in my opinion.
The passage in Antiquities 20 that makes mention of Jesus ben Damneus? a passage that is more about why Ananus was deposed as high priest?

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... #reference
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

neilgodfrey wrote:
maryhelena wrote:
Do you know of an inexpensive access to this?
Afraid not.....

I've taken all my quotes from google books view.
W.B. Yeats