Tertullian Says the Stupidest Things

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
EdwardM

Re: Tertullian Says the Stupidest Things

Post by EdwardM »

Hi, DCH.

Great find, there! It appears apostaurow overlaps with the "fence with pales" meaning of staurow, although it could be argued that the latter verb connoted a sense of a wider spacing of the sharpened pales. And like you, I am skeptical that apostaurow ever meant adfigo cruci (= crucify), because I never found a source that said it did. Plus, staurow and anastaurow probably only meant "suspend, impale" with regard to executions of criminals and enemy combatants until the Christians got their hands on control of the language. And even then, anastaurow still kept its old meaning well into the Byzantine period and beyond; I don't think it simply meant "crucify" until Justus Lipsius said so in De Cruce.

Regards,
Edward M.

(PS: I hate having to use cell phones, I can't post images and links!!)
EdwardM

Post by EdwardM »

Stephan Huller wrote...
...given that it was Irenaeus elsewhere who said that it was X shaped
Is this it?
The very form of the cross has five extremities [lit., five ends and high points]. Two in length, two in breadth, and one in the middle, on which [last] the person rests who is fixed with nails.

Adv. Haer. 2.24.4.(6)-(7)
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Yup. So I interpret.
EdwardM

Post by EdwardM »

Stephan Huller wrote:Yup. So I interpret.
So it has two points lengthwise (in longitudine) and two points widthwise (in latitudine), just like a tav mark. How the dickens do you keep it from kipping over on its side, unless you rotate the structure by 45 degrees anticlockwise? Prop it up with forks???
EdwardM

Post by EdwardM »

Nota bene, the 'crux immissa' (inlaid cross) has the appearance of a tav mark, rotated 45 degrees anticlockwise.
EdwardM

Post by EdwardM »

My interpretation is that the device, which the Romans hanged people on, resembled a T or a modified T with an outrigged spike in the middle, which, when the crucified's legs gave way and he slumped, pierced the anus => crucifixion by penetration.

This sort can be viewed as the Pozzuoli Graffito.

http://www.infotdgeova.it/dottrine/pozzuoli.php
EdwardM

Post by EdwardM »

DCH,

Regarding your vexilla, Justin Martyr also makes reference to it as representing the shape of the cross. I shall quote the whole chapter the reference is in.

Justin Martyr, I Apology 55:
In no instance, not even in any of these so-called sons of Jupiter, did they imitate the being being crucified; for it was not understood by them, all the things said of it having been put symbolically. And this, the prophet foretold, is the greatest symbol of his power and rule; as is also proved by the things which fall under our observation. For consider all things in the world, whether without this form they could be administered or have any community. For the sea is not traversed except that trophy which is called a sail abide safe in the ship; and the Earth is not ploughed without it: diggers and mechanics do not their work, except with tools that have this shape. And the human form differs from that of the irrational animals in nothing else than in its being erect and having the hands extended, and having on the face extending from the forehead what is called the nose, through which there is respiration for the living creature; and this shows no other form than that of the cross. And so it was said by the prophet, "The breath before our face is the Lord Christ." And the power of the form is shown by your symbols on what are called 'vexillae (banners) and trophies, which with all your state possessions are made, and these using these ad the insignia of your power and government, even though you do so unwittingly. And with this form you consecrate the images of your Emperors when they die, and you declare them gods by inscriptions. Since, therefore, we have urged you by reason and by an evident form, and to the utmost of our ability, we know that noe we are blameless even though you disbelieve; for our part is done and finished.