Pope and Netanyahu Spar Over the Language of Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stephan Huller

Pope and Netanyahu Spar Over the Language of Jesus

Post by Stephan Huller »

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-netanyahu-sp ... 8A9ZLQtDMD

"Jesus was here, in this land. He spoke Hebrew," Netanyahu told Francis, at a public meeting in Jerusalem in which the Israeli leader cited a strong connection between Judaism and Christianity.

"Aramaic," the pope interjected.

"He spoke Aramaic, but he knew Hebrew," Netanyahu shot back.
The Crow

Re: Pope and Netanyahu Spar Over the Language of Jesus

Post by The Crow »

I think both are wrong. How do they know what he spoke as he never said anything for himself. Could he even talk?
ghost

Post by ghost »

The Crow wrote:How do they know what he spoke as he never said anything for himself. Could he even talk?
He spoke and wrote in Latin…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentar ... llo_Civili

He also knew Greek.
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Odd fellow that one

Those who listened carefully to the Pope couldn't miss the point that his holiness didn't once refer to Israel as a Jewish state; and by continuously calling Israel "the Holy Land" he reinforced the Vatican's traditional position that refuses to recognize Israel as a Jewish state.
This is even more disturbing in light of the Pope's speech in Bethlehem earlier in the day, in which he framed his presence not as a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, but as an official visit to "the State of Palestine."

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/NewsItem/t ... icle_title
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

ghost wrote:
The Crow wrote:How do they know what he spoke as he never said anything for himself. Could he even talk?
He spoke and wrote in Latin…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentar ... llo_Civili

He also knew Greek.
Who? The Pope or Jesus? I think you misunderstood my post. I was talking about jesus not the Pope or Netanyahu.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Per Carotta Julius Caesar (who spoke Latin, doncha no?) was the exemplar for Jesus.
Caesar was deified into Divus Iulius. Since Divus Iulius is imaginary, then Divus Iulius can be modified by people. That's how the changes were possible.
Mark was the first flamen Divi Iulii, which means the first leader of the Divus Iulius cult.
http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... 381#p12381 Per Ghost on May 24.
Lion IRC

Post by Lion IRC »

The Crow wrote:I think both are wrong. How do they know what he spoke as he never said anything for himself. Could he even talk?
I think it's pretty likely that He could actually speak at least one language.
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

Lion IRC wrote:
The Crow wrote:I think both are wrong. How do they know what he spoke as he never said anything for himself. Could he even talk?
And where is the proof for that? How is it known that he (jesus) spoke more than one language?
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

The Crow wrote:And where is the proof for that? How is it known that he (jesus) spoke more than one language?
Given that the Pope will argue from the NT, you would be able to tell that Jesus spoke Aramaic and could read Hebrew. No conclusions for actual persons implied.
Last edited by Ulan on Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lion IRC

Post by Lion IRC »

The Crow wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:
And where is the proof for that? How is it known that he (jesus) spoke more than one language?
Ulan wrote:Given that the Pope will argue from the NT, you would be able to tell that Jesus spoke Aramaic and could read Hebrew. No conclusions for actual persons implied.
Just tidying up the quotes. :)

The suggestion that Jesus never said anything, and the rhetorical ..."Could he even talk?" is a premise far more extraordinary than its negation - ie. the alternative possibility that, (like most adult human beings living in that region at the time) He could actually speak at least one language of some sort.