The Death of Expertise

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stephan Huller

The Death of Expertise

Post by Stephan Huller »

http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/the ... expertise/

This accurately sums up my distaste for religious scholarship outside of contemporary Patristics albeit from the opposite perspective
Metacrock

Re: The Death of Expertise

Post by Metacrock »

I'm so sorry big meanie evil sky man made you feel bad. how dare he think he's God when everyone knows you are. I'm sorry the stupid evil Christian scholars think they know something this stuff becuase they study most of their lives and the study the languages it's written in. you can be a big scholar if you want to be. you are on the internet and they aren't. that they are just in those stupid old university things.

don't worry universities wont special places much longer. those stupid paper things people put their faces in are no longer values. you are an expert too. you don't even have to study anything. just if you feel like one and hate God badly enough. that makes you an expert.

don't worry that learning stuff wont last much longer. It'll disappear like tigers and snow and dinosaurs that's the extent stuff. learning and thinking and knowing things its all going to go away the the atheist can be real special.
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

I am not sure that I would characterize my dislike in those exact terms but thanks for your input. I just don't know what value someone telling me that McDonald's is the best restaurant in the world, or that hamburgers are the best food if they've only considered the splendor of McDonald's and hamburgers. There is so much more out there than the synoptic tradition and the beliefs of the adherents of Irenaeus and the texts brought forward by him to reinforce his position. I am not sure that any of the so-called 'experts' have really considered all that is out there sufficiently. It reminds me of when I was growing up people took the advice of their doctors as law. My aunt while pregnant took a series of X-rays on the advice of her doctor that led to her having a mentally retarded son. I don't hold this 'against' doctors per se. I just think it is a healthy thing that people consult the internet before taking their doctor's recommendations unquestioned.
hjalti

Post by hjalti »

Metacrock wrote:I'm so sorry big meanie evil sky man made you feel bad. how dare he think he's God when everyone knows you are.
What the heck does this anti-atheist rant have to do with his post?
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

The actual context was this curious claim:
I am (or at least think I am) an expert. Not on everything, but in a particular area of human knowledge, specifically social science and public policy. When I say something on those subjects, I expect that my opinion holds more weight than that of most other people.
Unfortunately "social science and public policy" do not sound like academic disciplines to most of us. Demanding that his voice is louder than the rest of us ... um, no. You don't get "expertise" from those fields. Public policy is, in a democracy, what we all decide.

All the best,

Roger Pearse
PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi Metacrock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ap9sNjz8L0
Metacrock wrote:I'm so sorry big meanie evil sky man made you feel bad. how dare he think he's God when everyone knows you are. I'm sorry the stupid evil Christian scholars think they know something this stuff becuase they study most of their lives and the study the languages it's written in. you can be a big scholar if you want to be. you are on the internet and they aren't. that they are just in those stupid old university things.

don't worry universities wont special places much longer. those stupid paper things people put their faces in are no longer values. you are an expert too. you don't even have to study anything. just if you feel like one and hate God badly enough. that makes you an expert.

don't worry that learning stuff wont last much longer. It'll disappear like tigers and snow and dinosaurs that's the extent stuff. learning and thinking and knowing things its all going to go away the the atheist can be real special.
Metacrock

Post by Metacrock »

hjalti wrote:
Metacrock wrote:I'm so sorry big meanie evil sky man made you feel bad. how dare he think he's God when everyone knows you are.
What the heck does this anti-atheist rant have to do with his post?
It seemed to me that, like many atheists, he's put out with the fact that there are schoalrs who study the bible thoroughly and who understand it better than he and can't win arguments with them. the whole atheist world has worked long and hard to crate the public image of the bible as a pile of crap. The existence of scholars destroys that image.

the mock academia crated by the secular web is not scholarly. you can't teach yourself to be a scholar.You need to go to graduate school. It's not valid to just dismiss any and all religious people merely becuase they are religious, especially when they are schoalrs who publish and accepted in their fields.

stop whining about not having the goods and go get the goods.
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/