Gospel of John a Forgery, Johannine Communities Never Existed

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Re: Gospel of John a Forgery, Johannine Communities Never Existed

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:23 am to Joseph D. L.,
I could not find in the writings of Irenaeus what you claimed: "Even Irenaeus is hesitant to ascribe it to a heretical sect."
Where is the evidence for your claim?
Because he gives Matthew to the Ebionites, Luke to the Marcionites, John to the Nicolaitians and Valentinians, but Mark remains unclaimed.
I addressed the issue of the dating of Mark also on that webpage http://historical-jesus.info/41.html. I also demonstrated that Mark could not have been written after 135. I began as such"
"D) Could Mk 13:5-23 refer to the 70-135 period, ending by the second Jewish war and the defeat of Bar Kokhba?
That's rather out-of-question because: ..."
I'm not interested in reading anything you have written to be honest. Do I need to read everything Charles Wilson has wrote to understand why his position is wrong? No, I don't. Do I need to waste my time with Atwill to know why he is wrong? Unfortunately I have. Just because someone writes something does not mean they can't be criticized by people who don't read them.

Hell, I've never watched Star Trek Discovery or Picard, and I don't have to because what I know about them sounds like garbage. So I'm not going to.

I'm perfectly more than capable of forming my own opinion based on my own analysis, and my opinion based on said analysis is that the Gospels are second century products.

You can take it or leave it, but don't try and make yourself an authority over others.

Simple as that.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Charles Wilson,
Did Demetrus Eucerus destroyed thoroughly Jerusalem buildings as Mark claimed Jesus prophesied (13:2)? I don't think so.
However that corresponds of what Josephus wrote in Antiquity:
VII, I, 1 "Caesar gave orders that they should now demolish the entire city and temple"
VII, I, 1 "there was left nothing to make those that came thither believe it had ever been inhabited. This was the end which Jerusalem came to"

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:11 pm to Charles Wilson,
Did Demetrus Eucerus destroyed thoroughly Jerusalem buildings as Mark claimed Jesus prophesied (13:2)? I don't think so.
VII, I, 1 "Caesar gave orders that they should now demolish the entire city and temple"
VII, I, 1 "there was left nothing to make those that came thither believe it had ever been inhabited. This was the end which Jerusalem came to"

Cordially, Bernard
Antiquities was (allegedly) published in the nineties of the first century. How then can you say Mark and Antiquities correspond to each other, but Mark was published no later than 71 ad? Unless you're trying to claim Josephus used Mark, in which case I will bid you farewell.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Joseph D. L.,
Antiquities was (allegedly) published in the nineties of the first century. How then can you say Mark and Antiquities correspond to each other, but Mark was published no later than 71 ad? Unless you're trying to claim Josephus used Mark, in which case I will bid you farewell.
Well "Mark" had Jesus prophesied something which is evidenced later from Josephus' writings (& happening in 70 AD) and what Josephus himself witnessed. This is what I meant.

Cordially, Bernard
Last edited by Bernard Muller on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Joseph D. L.,
Because he gives Matthew to the Ebionites, Luke to the Marcionites, John to the Nicolaitians and Valentinians, but Mark remains unclaimed.
Irenaeus wrote that Matthew, Luke & John were used by different "heretics" (and not "gives to "heretics""). I do not see why would that affect Mark.
I'm not interested in reading anything you have written to be honest.
I do not agree: since you are criticizing my dating of the gospels and my take on Revelation, you should have read what I wrote about them. If not, abstain.
I'm perfectly more than capable of forming my own opinion based on my own analysis, and my opinion based on said analysis is that the Gospels are second century products.
My conclusions about the gospels and Revelation are not based on opinions but on thorough analyses which I spelled out on my relevant web pages.
You can take it or leave it, but don't try and make yourself an authority over others.
Yes, I may feel like an authority on others, that is the ones who based their conclusions of opinions backed up by very debatable and vague evidence.

Cordially, Bernard
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Joseph D. L.,
I've already given my reasons why chs 11, 13, 14, and 19 of Revelation are responses to the Kitos revolt and bar Kochba revolt.
And where would these reasons be given?
Indeed, ch 14 is almost a parallel of the same account found in Gittin 57 about Hadrian building a vineyard from the bodies of Jews after bar Kochba was defeated.
Gittin 57 is a long text and after browsing through it, I did not see anything about "Hadrian building a vineyard from the bodies of Jews".
By the way, there is no vineyard mentioned in Revelation.
Absolute rubbish. The conclusions are based from fudging the prophecy and rounding up to preconceived conclusions.
I could say the same things about your conclusions. And how can you say that when you did not bother to read my page on Revelation?
The eruption of Mt. Vesuvius and the following plague are recorded in Rev 15 and 16. The Antonine plague is recorded in The eruption of Mt. Vesuvius and the following plague are recorded in Rev 15 and 16. The Antonine plague is recorded in 18, 21 and 22. The point is that Revelation was still being added to as late as the reign of Commodus. Hell I'm not even ruling out the reign of Severus.. The point is that Revelation was still being added to as late as the reign of Commodus. Hell I'm not even ruling out the reign of Severus.
You need a lot of imagination to make such statement about the Antonine plague recorded in Rev 18, 21 and 22.
Chapter 11, and chapter 13.
I did not see anything in these two chapters dealing with the kitos' revolt. Can you guide me on some specific verses pointing to that kitos' revolt?
Hell, I've only ever read one thing Kirby wrote (Papias and Hegesippus being the same book) and that's it
That's news to me. And even if it is true, what does that have to do with Revelation?
Because the Roman-Jewish war means very little to Christianity. It was a direct response to the policies enacted by Hadrian on Jews in Palestine
And why would you think the events around 135 AD mattered a lot for Christianity?
If you read my web pages on the dating of Mark, you' ll see what triggered the writing of the mini apocalypse is not directly the fall of Jerusalem, but the fact Christians in Mark's community were considering leaving it in order to become followers of false Christs and false prophets in the wake of the events of 75 AD.
Papias is the firt direct mention of a text written by a fellow named Mark. 1 Clement in no way indicates, insinuates, or implies that he knows of Mark. That is your own desperation looking for answers.
Again, it shows that you did not read my relevant web page on that issue. I did not use desperation but solid evidence showing that "Clement" knew about Mark.
I don't need your analysis to understand a text I can read myself.
Reading is not the same as studying.
Well they didn't and all the internal and external evidence points to them being second century works as well.
At least, I demonstrated my dating on Luke and Matthew. But you did not for yours. And your comments about my dating come from someone who did not read my relevant web pages. And how can you say I have failed?
I can save you the trouble. Irenaeus readily ascribes Matthew, Luke and John to heretical sects, yet doesn't for Mark. The reason for this can only be because he couldn't find one that used it.
No, Irenaeus never ascribed Matthew, Luke and John to heretical sects. You are fudging here.

Cordially, Bernard
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:42 pm
Indeed, ch 14 is almost a parallel of the same account found in Gittin 57 about Hadrian building a vineyard from the bodies of Jews after bar Kochba was defeated.
Gittin 57 is a long text and after browsing through it, I did not see anything about "Hadrian building a vineyard from the bodies of Jews".
By the way, there is no vineyard mentioned in Revelation.
He means this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5321. But he never responded to my criticism of the idea (in the last post on the thread).
Hell, I've only ever read one thing Kirby wrote (Papias and Hegesippus being the same book) and that's it
That's news to me. And even if it is true, what does that have to do with Revelation?
He means this: http://peterkirby.com/that-hegesippus-was-papias.html. And he does not mean that it has anything to do with Revelation. It was just an example illustrating his reading habits.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Thank you for your response, Bernard Muller!
Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:11 pmDid Demetrius Eucerus destroyed thoroughly Jerusalem buildings as Mark claimed Jesus prophesied (13:2)? I don't think so.
As Kant stated, "I grant the entire argument". No, Demetrius did not destroy Jerusalem and I never would imply that he did. What I argue is that the SynApoc is a Construction that contains elements of the Judaic Story surrounding Jannaeus AND the Roman Rewrite of the Ascension of the Flavians.

You yourself state the problem with Mark 13 et.al. with the "Jesus Prophecy" of Mark 13: 2.:
A. We could argue the existence of "Jesus" but right now, let's not.
B. I believe the word "Prophecy" should be "Post-Diction" since, to me, it's obvious that the Construction demands it.

That is, was the NT:
1. "Real", in the sense that the Son of God came down to earth and etc., etc., etc.
2. Created out of "Whole Cloth"? Have we found no words, phrases, descriptions or details in the NT that appear to have come from prior writings?
3. Created by a Synthetic Process, whereby prior works of Jews, Greeks, Romans and other were woven into what we have today as the NT.

To me, #1 is a Non-Starter. #2 should be demonstrably false, although Apologetix(R) will always find reasons for denying the premise.
#3 works just right, to get all Goldilocksian about it. Our argument, then, should be about the appropriateness of apparent veridical statements in, especially, Mark 13.

Since, to me, it's not Prophecy, what was produced for Mark 13 and why?
Mark 13: 2 (RSV):

[2] And Jesus said to him, "Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone upon another, that will not be thrown down."

QED.

That, however, is not the sum Total of Mark 13. What follows in Mark 13 is some Vagueness of Intention that could describe my old next door neighbors before the divorce. To me, all the Family Fightin' comes from Antiquities, 13, 13, 4. Them Greeks sure do fight amongst themselves lots. YMMV. Theirs did.

Which is all well and good - sorta' - until you get to verse 11:

[11] And when they bring you to trial and deliver you up, do not be anxious beforehand what you are to say; but say whatever is given you in that hour, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit.

Uh-Oh!!!

"DANGER, Will Robinson, DANGER!!!" The "Holy Spirit" is a Marker for Domitian and that seals the Guest List for the Cotillion. I have the finishing of Mark at no earlier than around 110 and here's one of the reasons. The "Holy Spirit" has no discernible physical features, reflecting the so-called "Damnatio Memoriae" that was voted to him after his death. This puts the Authorship squarely after the death of Domitian and further a little time more as well, since there are no explanatory statements as to why there might have been a "Holy Spirit" in the 30's-ish (Given that popular time line). We now have a further reason to consider Mark 13 as Composite in organization.

Mark 13: 12 (RSV):

[12] And brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death;

This "Family Feud" is markedly different from the Greekie Version. It is reflective of Josephus and the hatred of Jannaeus:

"As to Alexander, his own people were seditious against him; for at a festival which was then celebrated, when he stood upon the altar, and was going to sacrifice, the nation rose upon him, and pelted him with citrons [which they then had in their hands, because] the law of the Jews required that at the feast of tabernacles every one should have branches of the palm tree and citron tree; which thing we have elsewhere related. They also reviled him, as derived from a captive, and so unworthy of his dignity and of sacrificing...From thence he fled to Jerusalem, where, besides his other ill success, the nation insulted him, and he fought against them for six years, and slew no fewer than fifty thousand of them. And when he desired that they would desist from their ill-will to him, they hated him so much the more, on account of what had already happened; and when he had asked them what he ought to do, they all cried out, that he ought to kill himself. They also sent to Demetrius Eucerus, and desired him to make a league of mutual defense with them..."

Mark 13: 14 (RSV):

[14] "But when you see the desolating sacrilege set up where it ought not to be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains

The Moffatt Translation has that very intriguing translation:

[14] But whenever you see the appalling Horror standing where he has no right to stand (let the reader not this), then let those are in Judaea fly to the hills

"...where he has no right to stand..."

How can we know that this is about Demetrius Eucerus? One very suggestive reason is that Eucerus camped out at Shechem before nearly ending Jannaeus. Where is Shechem? Very near the Temple at Gerizim.

If this were all there was then I would be more than happy to entertain the suggestions that this is a continuous story and not a Composite. The "Woe to women who are with child and give suck" verse would be an interesting coincidence. This, however, is paralleled in Revelation. The "half hour of Peace" marks the end of Jannaeus and the Reign of Salome (I simply MUST also say, "Salome, not Salome Alexandra").

The Tribulation must not be Transvalued. The Tribulation came for those who survived with Jannaeus. It also is told in Revelation and the start of this time between Jannaeus and Salome is also hidden a bit. The sequences of both Mark and Revelation follow the Josephan Chronology forward and backward from the important Anchor Verses.

In short, sir, this all could be a single story and in that case, the road grading of Jerusalem could be written that way (Let the reader note this).

However, I believe it should be read as a Composite Story, maybe the most important Original Passage in Mark. It is not written "from whole cloth" but was dismembered, rearranged and Transvalued, from other, Original Prior Documents. There are (at least) two Stories here. The Original came from Judea and described events wholly from a Judean Point of View with no knowledge of the End of the Julio-Claudians and the Rise of the Flavians. The Ascension of the Flavians had to show that these Favors this God had given the Jews (and Israel!) had been taken from the Jews and given to the Romans after the Fall of the Temple.

Thank you, Bernard Muller,

CW
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm He means this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5321. But he never responded to my criticism of the idea (in the last post on the thread).
I honestly never saw that.

This is a quick response to it, but the difference between Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmud seems arbitrary. In fact, isn't the Jerusalem Talmud older than the Babylonian Talmud? I don't know. But why should the one be discounted when it is still apart of at least one textual tradition?
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:35 pm to Joseph D. L.,
Well "Mark" had Jesus prophesied something which is evidenced later from Josephus' writings (& happening in 70 AD) and what Josephus himself witnessed. This is what I meant.

Cordially, Bernard
Well that's stupid. Unless you want to argue for actual prophetic powers, then the only explanation for the Josephus+Mark connection is that one used the other.