Alexamenos graffiti

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
perseusomega9

Alexamenos graffiti

Post by perseusomega9 »

There's the traditional understanding that the graffiti depicts beliefs that Jews worshipped an ass transferred to Christians due to the Jewish origins of the religion. Peter also has an interesting link on this site regarding it as well
https://www.academia.edu/2069395/The_Pa ... quarie_Uni

I was just reading the Genna Marias http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/gennamarias.html and thought of this.

Has anyone considered that the soldier being mocked may have been in a gnosic christian sect?
Last edited by perseusomega9 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
spin

Re: Alexamenos graffiti

Post by spin »

Second link, if you hadn't got there, is this
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Thanks Spin.

fixed
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

-Giuseppe
PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi perseusomega9,

I think this is a good example of the Christian imagination at work.
When one studies a good picture of this image, one sees that there is no crucifixion being represented here. The series of broken lines don't really make sense as a cross.
For example, the horizontal cross beam at the top does not make any sense. First, the line curves too much to be a cross beam which should be straight. Second, it seems to cut through the donkey's neck. Was the intention to place the donkey's head behind the crossbeam. It doesn't work. Third, the line looks like an horizon line. It could be part of another piece of graffiti that the artist is drawing over. Also, do the several broken light pieces of line (or breaks in the stone) to the right of the donkey head really connect in any way to the strong line on the left?

A second telltale clue that this is not a crucifixion comes from the donkey's hand.
The hand is clearly separated from the supposed crossbeam line. It is giving a friendly wave to Alexamenos.

Third, notice that the foot of the donkey-man is facing forward and is in back of the bottom horizontal line. This again subverts the idea of this being a crucifixion scene. The bottom line is not supporting the man, the man is standing behind it. In other words, there is no indication he is off the ground. Further, this eliminates the idea that the donkey is facing the crucifixion pole and twisting his head to the side. This makes it impossible for the crucifixion pole to be between him and Alexamenos. How do we see the vertical crucifixion pole if the donkey-man is in front of it?

It is hard to say if the writer meant that Alexamenos really worshipped a donkey-headed god, or if the donkey head means that Alexamenos is stupid like a donkey and therefore worships stupidity. In either case, this image has nothing whatsoever to do with Jesus Christ or crucifixion. The belief that it does is just another case of the Christian imagination running wild and producing faux evidence out of non-existent lines for the existence of their mythological God.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

I think your expectations are to high for something that looks like it could have been drawn by my 7yo niece.

-Giuseppe
PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi perseusomega,

There is nothing wrong with the drawing. The images of the god with the Donkey's head and Alexamenos are quite clear and well done. It is the crucifixion instrument that is not clear. There are a series of random horizontal and vertical lines that we can imagine as a crucifixion instrument if we fill in the blanks and straighten the lines, but when we do this, they make no sense in relationship to the donkey-man.

Yes, if we shut one eye, turn off our brains and dutifully ignore the fact that these lines could be a thousand different things, then it does appear as a representation of a crucifixion instrument. However, since nobody can prove that it is, we should not waste people's time by saying that it is. It is as useless as the speculation about the face on Mars taken in 1976.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
perseusomega9 wrote:I think your expectations are to high for something that looks like it could have been drawn by my 7yo niece.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

You sure you don't think it looks more like

-Giuseppe
PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi perseusmega9,

What do you think?

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

That your idea is retarded, and I say that in the nicest possible way.

-Giuseppe
PhilosopherJay

Post by PhilosopherJay »

Hi peseusomega9,

In teaching "Humanities" courses for the past 15 years, I have come across dozens of cases where experts have mislabeled or misunderstood images for centuries. I will take this as another case, since you cannot provide any evidence to the contrary. Thanks.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin

perseusomega9 wrote:That your idea is retarded, and I say that in the nicest possible way.