Josephus account of the destruction of the temple

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
SpiritofLife

Josephus account of the destruction of the temple

Post by SpiritofLife »

Earth quakes and chariots in the air. Did Rome destroy the temple or God. Hebrews 10 there is therefore no more sacrifice for sin. To offer a sacrifice for sin is to insult the Spirit of Grace.
SpiritofLife

Re: Josephus account of the destruction of the temple

Post by SpiritofLife »

For the destruction of the temple to happen in Johns life time this makes a lot more sense of the soon return that many lived to see.

Second Coming of Jesus Christ in 70 AD

The Original Name of Jesus Christ is Yeshua Meshikha. Yeshua Meshikha is the original Aramaic name of Jesus Christ. I believe Yeshua Meshikha came back in 70 AD. I believe the original of New Testament was written in Eastern Aramaic Peshitta. So I thought I should share the information I collected to everyone.

As you all know, Yeshua Meshikha prophesized the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

Yeshua Meshikha also said this in Matthew 16:27-28 (Murdock Translation) "For the Son of man is to come in the glory of his Father, with all his holy angels; and then will he recompense to every man as his deeds are. Verily I say to you: There are some persons standing here, who shall not taste death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

So Yeshua Meshikha said there are some persons standing here who shall not taste death till they see Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

Did Yeshua Meshikha come? Yes. All tribes in Jerusalem saw the sign of Son of Man right before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. This was recorded by Josephus in Jewish Wars and Tacitus in his Histories. This was also later recorded by Historian Eusebius. Extraordinary incidents that happened during Jewish Wars and Fall of Jerusalem will be underlined.

Here are the informations from Jewish War by Josephus.

Jewish War 6:286 (6.5.2.286) Now, there was then a great number of false prophets suborned by the tyrants to impose upon the people, who denounced this to them, that they should wait for deliverance from God: and this was in order to keep them from deserting, and that they might be buoyed up above fear and care by such hopes.

Jewish War 6:288 ¶ (6.5.3.288) Thus were the miserable people persuaded by these deceivers, and such as belied God himself; while they did not attend, nor give credit, to the signs that were so evident and did so plainly foretell their future desolation; but, like men infatuated, without either eyes to see, or minds to consider, did not regard the denunciations that God made to them.

Jewish War 6:289 (6.5.3.289) Thus there was a star resembling a sword, which stood over the city, and a comet, that continued a whole year.

Jewish War 6:290 (6.5.3.290) Thus also, before the Jews’ rebellion, and before those commotions which preceded the war, when the people were come in great crowds to the feast of unleavened bread, on the eighth day of the month Xanthicus [Nisan], and at the ninth hour of the night, so great a light shone round the altar and the holy house, that it appeared to be bright day time; which light lasted for half an hour.

Jewish War 6:291 (6.5.3.291) This light seemed to be a good sign to the unskillful, but was so interpreted by the sacred scribes, as to portend those events that followed immediately upon it.

Jewish War 6:296 (6.5.3.296) So these publicly declared, that this signal foreshowed the desolation that was coming upon them. Besides these, a few days after that feast, on the twenty-first day of the month Artemisius [Jyar],

Jewish War 6:297 (6.5.3.297) a certain prodigious and incredible phenomenon appeared; I suppose the account of it would seem to be a fable, were it not related by those that saw it,

Jewish War 6:298 (6.5.3.298) and were not the events that followed it of so considerable a nature as to deserve such signals; for, before sunsetting, chariots and troops of soldiers in their armor were seen

Jewish War 6:299 (6.5.3.299) running about among the clouds, and surrounding of cities. Moreover at that feast which we call Pentecost, as the priests were going by night into the inner [court of the] temple, as their custom was, to perform their sacred ministrations, they said that, in the first place, they felt a quaking, and heard a great noise,

Jewish War 6:300 (6.5.3.300) and after that they heard a sound as of a great multitude, saying, “Let us remove hence.”

Tacitus, Histories, Book 5

"Prodigies had occurred, which this nation, prone to superstition, but hating all religious rites, did not deem it lawful to expiate by offering and sacrifice. There had been seen hosts joining battle in the skies, the fiery gleam of arms, the temple illuminated by a sudden radiance from the clouds. The doors of the inner shrine were suddenly thrown open, and a voice of more than mortal tone was heard to cry that the Gods were departing. At the same instant there was a mighty stir as of departure. Some few put a fearful meaning on these events, but in most there was a firm persuasion, that in the ancient records of their priests was contained a prediction of how at this very time the East was to grow powerful, and rulers, coming from Judaea, were to acquire universal empire."

This was also recorded by Eusebius in his Ecclesiastical History, Book 3, Chapter 8, Sections 1-6.

Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History, Book 3, Chapter 8, Sections 1-6 (Below)

1. Taking, then, the work of this author, read what he records in the sixth book of his History. His words are as follows: (94) “Thus were the miserable people won over at this time by the impostors and false prophets; (95) but they did not heed nor give credit to the visions and signs that foretold the approaching desolation. On the contrary, as if struck by lightning, and as if possessing neither eyes nor understanding, they slighted the proclamations of God.

2. At one time a star, in form like a sword, stood over the city, and a comet, which lasted for a whole year; and again before the revolt and before the disturbances that led to the war, when the people were gathered for the feast of unleavened bread, on the eighth of the month Xanthicus, (96) at the ninth hour of the night, so great a light shone about the altar and the temple that it seemed to be bright day; and this continued for half an hour. This seemed to the unskillful a good sign, but was interpreted by the sacred scribes as portending those events which very soon took place.

3. And at the same feast a cow, led by the high priest to be sacrificed, brought forth a lamb in the midst of the temple.

4. And the eastern gate of the inner temple, which was of bronze and very massive, and which at evening was closed with difficulty by twenty men, and rested upon iron-bound beams, and had bars sunk deep in the ground, was seen at the sixth hour of the night to open of itself.

5. And not many days after the feast, on the twenty-first of the month Artemisium, (97) a certain marvelous vision was seen which passes belief. The prodigy might seem fabulous were it not related by those who saw it, and were not the calamities which followed deserving of such signs. For before the setting of the sun, chariots and armed troops were seen throughout the whole region in mid-air, wheeling through the clouds and encircling the cities.

6. And at the feast which is called Pentecost, when the priests entered the temple at night, as was their custom, to perform the services, they said that at first they perceived a movement and a noise, and afterward a voice as of a great multitude, saying, ‘Let us go hence.’(98)”

"Cow bringing forth a lamb" is also mentioned in Jewish Wars by Josephus.

Jewish Wars (Book VI, Chapter 6, Section 3) - "At the same festival also, a heifer, as she was led by the high priest to be sacrificed, brought forth a lamb in the midst of the temple. Moreover, the eastern gate of the inner, [court of the temple,] which was of brass, and vastly heavy, and had been with difficulty shut by twenty men, and rested upon a basis armed with iron, and had bolts fastened very deep into the firm floor, which was there made of one entire stone, was seen to be opened of its own accord about the sixth hour of the night."

"Sepher Yosippon" is a 10th century historical Jewish document written in Hebrew that mentions about the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Sefer Josippon also mentions about the vision of soldiers and chariots in the sky which we read in Josephus' Jewish Wars, Tacitus's Histories, and Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History.

Sepher Yosippon (A Medieval History of Ancient Israel) translated from the Hebrew by Steven B. Bowman. Excerpts from Chapter 87 "Burning of the Temple"

"Moreover, in those days were seen chariots of fire and horsemen, a great force flying across the sky near to the ground coming against Jerusalem and all the land of Judah, all of them horses of fire and riders of fire. When the holiday of Shavu'oth came in those days, during the night the priests heard within the Temple something like the sound of men going and the sound of men marching in a multitude going into the Temple, and a terrible and mighty voice was heard speaking: "Let's go and leave this House."

This vision of the chariots and soldiers in the sky happened right before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

You may ask what does chariots and the soldiers in the sky have to do with the sign of Son of Man and Bible. Here are some examples. I am using KJV and NIV so that you all can get easier access to read the verses on Internet.

Jeremiah 4:13 (KJV) – "Behold, he shall come up as clouds, and his chariots shall be as a whirlwind: his horses are swifter than eagles. Woe unto us! for we are spoiled."

Isaiah 66:15 (KJV) – "For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire."

2 Kings 2:11 (KJV) - And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

2 Kings 6:17 (KJV) - And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Zachariah 6:1-6 (KJV) - "And I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and, behold, there came four chariots out from between two mountains; and the mountains were mountains of brass. In the first chariot were red horses; and in the second chariot black horses; And in the third chariot white horses; and in the fourth chariot grisled and bay horses. Then I answered and said unto the angel that talked with me, What are these, my lord? And the angel answered and said unto me, These are the four spirits of the heavens, which go forth from standing before the Lord of all the earth. The black horses which are therein go forth into the north country; and the white go forth after them; and the grisled go forth toward the south country."

The chariots of God are also mentioned in Psalms 68:17, Habakkuk 3:8, and chariot-like vehicles are also mentioned Ezekiel 1 and Ezekiel 10.

In my opinion, I think the biggest mistake is expecting Yeshua Meshikha to come in his physical form. It is not the physical form that counts. It is the spirit that counts. In John 8:58, we learn that Yeshua Meshikha existed before Abraham existed.

So Yeshua Meshikha existed spiritually. We know that God is a spirit through John 4:24. Through John 8:58, his son is also a spirit. In order to become a human being, He needed the help of a woman. That's why Virgin Mary was chosen.

Yeshua Meshikha came back spiritually with his angels and chariots in 70 AD.

But you may ask - "what about the end of the world?" I think the word "The world" can misguide you. In KJV, you see the end of the world. In NIV, you see the end of the Age.

The meaning of a word can change according to context.

The word "The world" can also mean Age. For Example, let me take Renaissance. We can call it Renaissance World or Age of Renaissance. In this context, the world means "Age." Yeshua Meshikha was talking about the end of the Age.

Revelation 1:3 (NIV) - "Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near."

We read that the time is near.

Revelation 1:7 (NIV) - "Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." So shall it be! Amen.

We read that every eye will see him even those who pierced him. So it was supposed to happen in first century.

Take a notice "He is coming with the clouds" in Revelation 1:7 and read Jeremiah 4:13 (Mentioned above).

I believe Revelation was written in Aramaic. The best available manuscript of Revelation is a 12th century Aramaic manuscript called Crawford Codex. I believe Crawford Codex was copied from the original Aramaic manuscript which was written in Dead Sea Scrolls Script. After a while, the manuscripts get old and they get destroyed. So the writers copies the information in the old manuscript to a new manuscript.

Here is the information about Crawford Codex manuscript if anyone is interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_Codex

I believe New Testament is written in Aramaic language, because of a good reason. I believe Eastern Aramaic Peshitta is the original. Here is the link to support my claim about Eastern Aramaic Peshitta.

http://ellhn.e-e-e.gr/books/assets/NewTestament.pdf

Famine

Josephus, The Wars of the Jews, Book 5, Chapter 10, Paragraph 2, Lines 425, 426, Paragraph 3, Lines 430–432

Continuing with his historical record of the siege of Jerusalem, Josephus writes that, "for there was no corn which anywhere appeared publicly...nor did they [robbers] think it proper to kill such as these [those in misery], because they saw they would very soon die of themselves for want of food...children pulled the very morsels that their fathers were eating out of their very mouths; so did the mothers do as to their infants...the seditious everywhere...broke open the doors, and ran in and took pieces of what they were eating, almost up out of their very throats...”

Josephus, The Wars of the Jews, Book 6, Chapter 9, Paragraph 2, Line 419, Paragraph 3, Line 421, Paragraph 4, Line 430.

Josephus writing on the magnitude of the famine that existed during the siege of Jerusalem states that, "...there perished, for want of food, eleven thousand; some of whom did not taste any food, through the hatred their guards bore to them; and others would not take in any when it was given them. The multitude also was so very great, that they were in want even of corn for their sustenance...there came a pestilential destruction upon them, and soon afterward such a famine, as destroyed them more suddenly...there were also found slain there above two thousand persons, partly by their own hands, and partly by one another, but chiefly destroyed by the famine."

Earth quakes and other signs

Josephus (Wars of the Jews 4, 4.5) - "But the shame that would attend them in case they returned without doing any thing at all, so far overcame that their repentance, that they lay all night before the wall, though in a very bad encampment; for there broke out a prodigious storm in the night, with the utmost violence, and very strong winds, with the largest showers of rain, with continual lightnings, terrible thunderings, and amazing concussions and bellowings of the earth that was in an earthquake. These things were a manifest indication that some destruction was coming upon men, when the system of the world was put into this disorder; and any one would guess that these wonders foreshadowed some grand calamities that were coming."

Historian Tacitus records an earthquake in Rome and another at Laodicea, in the reign of Nero (54 AD - 68 AD), by which that city, as also Colosse and Hierapolis were destroyed. Tacitus, The Annals, Book 12 and 14, written in approximately AD 109.

Historian Suetonius (AD 69–122 AD) records an earthquake in Rome during the reign of Galba (AD 68–69).

Philostratus (AD 170–244/249) records a great earthquake which occurred in Crete during the reign of Claudius Caesar (41 AD-54 AD). Philostratus records earthquakes during the time period in Chios, Miletus, Samos and Smyrna.

Roman philosopher Seneca (3 BC–AD 65) records an earthquake at Campania.

Other Information

1) In Aramaic Revelation of Crawford Codex, it says like this in the beginning of Revelation - "The Revelation which came to John The Evangelist from God in Patmos the island to which he was exiled by Nero Caesar.”

2) Greek Philosopher Apollonius of Tyana (15 AD – 100 AD) referred to Nero as “A Beast.”

3) In Pliny the Elder’s Book (Book “Natural History” Chapter 23. “Their nature, situation, and species”), Pliny calls Nero “Domitius Nero.”

4) Colossians 1:4-6 (Murdock Translation) "lo, ever since we heard of your faith in Jesus the Messiah, and of your love to all the saints; because of the hope that is laid up for you in heaven, of which ye heard before in the word of truth of the gospel; which is announced to you, as also to all the world; and which groweth and yieldeth fruits, as it doth also among you from the day ye heard and knew the grace of God in reality:"

Colossians 1:21-23 (Murdock Translation) - "And also to you, who were before alienated and enemies in your minds, because of your evil deeds, to you, he hath now given peace, by the body of his flesh, and by his death; that he might establish you in his presence, holy, without blemish, and without offence; provided ye continue in your faith, your foundation being firm, and ye be not removed from the hope of the gospel; of which ye have heard, that it is proclaimed in all the creation beneath heaven; of which [gospel] I Paul am a minister."

We see the gospel was already preached to all the world by the time Paul started writing the letter to Colossians.

Murdock's Translation is a translation of Western Peshitto. Western Peshitto and Eastern Aramaic Peshitta were the same for a long time until "some changes" were made to Western Peshitto by the scribes in later centuries.

But Eastern Aramaic Peshitta stayed the same. Eastern Aramaic Peshitta is used by Church of the East in Middle East and also in South India. Eastern Aramaic Peshitta contains 22 books of New Testament (with the exception of 2nd Peter, 2nd John, 3rd John, Jude, and Revelation).

Here is the information about Eastern Peshitta.

http://www.peshitta.org/initial/peshitta.html

As for 2nd Peter, Jude, and Revelation, Crawford Codex has them in Aramaic.

I was able to collect the information about the differences that were made to Peshitto in later centuries. They are available in this video below.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtcgji ... o_creation

5) Revelation 16:21 tells how huge hailstones fell from heaven weighing a talent which is about 100 pounds. Josephus describes 100 lb. white stones coming from Roman catapults down on the Jews in Jerusalem (Jewish Wars, Book 5.6.3).

6) I also want to point out that Yeshua Meshikha died on a Wednesday. Not on a Friday. Here is the link to the video.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtcdsg ... n_creation

7) If you are interested in watching a video about Peshitta Old Testament, then its available here too. Peshitta Old Testament clears some of the confusions in the Old Testament. For Example, Did Moses' father marry his aunt?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtdzs8 ... t_creation

8) I also want to point out 2 Aramaic words.

Aramaic word "Ara" can mean either "the land" or "the earth."

Aramaic word "Alma" can mean either "the world" or "age."
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

So exactly how was the Gospel preached around the world? Considering most of these people never left the Middle East. Christianity was not introduced in the US and Europe until the 16th and 17th Century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... ted_States

So when you claim around the world what world are you referring to?
Kris

Post by Kris »

So, if I read your long, convoluted, and crazy post right, you are attempting to assert thst Jesus came back in 70 ad and did his "judgement thing" then. Wow, he must have really dug those pagan Romans then because life was good for them after the war!! Oh, but not so good for those pesky Christians-I mean they were still being hassled. Even the Jews seemed to have it a little better-- they got to develop their Talmud and all. So this was a pretty piss-poor judgement. I mean, was the book of life even brought out?

I think your premise is nutso. Jesus gave a false prophecy and you are trying to tie to stories that Josephus relayed that most likely never happened or were certainly over-dramatized to try to show the Jews that they should have knôwn the destruction was coming. Amazingly, Josephus never mentions Jesus doling out these punishments upon the Jews. He thinks the Romans are the ones that have gods backing.
SpiritofLife

Post by SpiritofLife »

Hey Kris, I appreciate your comments. When I discovered the Nag Hammadi on line and all the early scriptures censored by the orthodox church, I am seeing why Paul says in Col 2:8 the Greek says lest you shall be robbing trough, empty deceit. I was taught the Romans destroyed the temple in 70 AD. They never told me about earth quakes. Studying Hebrews 10: 26 if we sin willfully, no more remains a sacrifice for sin. Reading in the Greek it says we have the opposite, from adversary, in English translations say fearful expectation of judgment, the opposite. Grace, if Jesus put an end to sacrifice and sits down at the right side of the Father and we ruling and reigning with Christ are seated at His right side; and we sin willfully, the only recourse now is to confess it and put it under the blood. As I pondered the tremendous offence to the God of Jesus when Jews offering sacrifice for sin in the temple or Christians who sinned and confessed their sin but doubted the sufficiency of Christ and went to the temple and offered a sacrifice for their sin, I immediately thought of the worse punishment of Hebrews 10:29 and the temple destruction in 70 AD. God Judged them by the Romans, is what I was taught. After reading this, I think there is more to the temple destruction story than the devil ever wants you to know. I think the Romans were in as much shock and awe as the Jews.
When I found these accounts of Josephus and I thought, no one ever told me about earth quakes, Did God destroy the temple or the Romans? I am only attempting to make you think, beyond what we were taught. The only reason I thought the earth was flat, was because in school they taught me the earth was flat. In school they just told us what people believed, not why they were taught to believe it. Jesus said he would or that it would be destroyed. Was He there? You decide. The Great White Throne Judgment, the bema seat, the Books of Life and the other books. As far as the law came by Moses and grace and truth came by Jesus Christ, when He said not one stone shall be left upon another, was he talking about His resurrected body. Jesus body as the temple was raised in three days. Jesus, Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to all who believe. Rom 10:4 This is a Historical account of the official supernatural end to the law for righteousness, by sacrifice for sin. Why do you not think the Talmud was not already developed? When Jesus said your traditions make the law of God of no effect, the Talmud were the traditions of men. The Babylonian Talmud began in was written in captivity. I just want people to see these accounts of Josephus, that Jesus was the one who told them He would destroy this temple and they wanted to bring charges against Him. Hebrews 12:25 The voice of warning, the shaking of the earth, the shaking of the heavens also. By the Spirit of Grace we will not be shaken when the shaking ends. I just know there has been a deliberate attempt to rob us of our Supernatural Power, The Spirit of Power, Love and a sound mind. I have just come to except that a lot of orthodox evangelical christian eschatology may follow a different time line than those constructed by men like Sir Robert Anderson and the 70 weeks of Daniel. Just know for sure that sin has been judged, and there is no more offering or sacrifice for sin. Hebrews 10, In the name of Jesus, Yeshua, who is YHVH.
steve43

Post by steve43 »

If you want Josephus and the destruction of the Temple melded in with what is known from accepted CONTEMPORANEOUS sources without any spin I recommend Hagan's "Fires of Rome", which heavily excerpts Josephus, as any historian of those times should.

Heck, it would be enlightening to read Josephus straight up and get a flavor for who he was and what he witnessed and believed.

All online.

Here is chapter 6 of Wars, which documents things in Jerusalem just before the fall in A.D. 70.

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/text ... /war6.html

Read once or twice.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Spirit--- Paul continued to offer sacrifices after Jesus death. The book of Acts talks about this.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Acts 21. Paul offers sacrifice in the temple.
steve43

Post by steve43 »

steve43 wrote:If you want Josephus and the destruction of the Temple melded in with what is known from accepted CONTEMPORANEOUS sources without any spin I recommend Hagan's "Fires of Rome", which heavily excerpts Josephus, as any historian of those times should.

Heck, it would be enlightening to read Josephus straight up and get a flavor for who he was and what he witnessed and believed.

All online.

Here is chapter 6 of Wars, which documents things in Jerusalem just before the fall in A.D. 70.

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/text ... /war6.html

Read once or twice.
Here is a link to the preceding chapter.

No excuses. Get reading. And this means YOU MaryHelena!

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/text ... /war5.html
SpiritofLife

Post by SpiritofLife »

I read that link of the temple destruction, and he also refers to the heifer giving birth to a lamb. The Lord sayed to me this morning, this was the symbolic lamb of God coming from a most unexpected place, declaring as Jesus said, it is finished. I said Lord, is this a repeated reminder to them that they refused your perfect sacrifice for sin?
There are various kinds of offerings. I have been confused by Paul in acts 21, Paul is showing James he keeps the law and in Galatians where certain men came from James.... and Paul confronts Peter that he is to be blamed for telling Galatians to live like Jews. This has helped me to see, Luke recording a process of revelation. One minute he is swearing a vow and making an offering; then later declaring I subjected myself to them, no not for an hour, (The Judaizers).
The Teen Challenge Choir sang for our church. They took an offering and I made a $5.00 offering. Was it a sacrifice? A small sacrifice. There are many types of offerings in Judaism, that are not for sin. In the temple destruction account they made an offering for the Feast of Unleavened Bread. This is not a sacrifice or offering for sin.
Paul makes it clear that we are grafted in. What ever mistakes, blindness, deafness of hearing, that the Jews may be guilty of; we who believe in the risen Christ, are cleansed by His blood, now having access through the veil, which is His broken body, are blessed of God, through the Jews. Romans 10, Jesus is the end of the law for righteousness for all who believe. May we all hear the voice of the righteousness of faith that speaks, the word (rhema) is near you. In your mouth and in your heart.