Jason BeDuhn's reconstruction/translation of Marcion...

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
theomise

Jason BeDuhn's reconstruction/translation of Marcion...

Post by theomise »

Referring specifically to:

"The First New Testament: Marcion's Scriptural Canon" (Polebridge Press: November 5, 2013)
http://www.westarinstitute.org/store/th ... testament/

Question: has anyone here taken a look at it (or read it)? If so, does it contain any insights not already freely available online?

I'm tempted to buy it, but haven't seen any online "preview" of the text indicating it is any different from the standard Marcion redactions/translations widely available elsewhere...

:confusedsmiley:
Tenorikuma

Re: Jason BeDuhn's reconstruction/translation of Marcion...

Post by Tenorikuma »

I didn't know this existed. I'm sure BeDuhn brings something new to the table, or Westar wouldn't have published it.

Edit: Just bought it. :)
Last edited by Tenorikuma on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

theomise wrote:Referring specifically to:

"The First New Testament: Marcion's Scriptural Canon" (Polebridge Press: November 5, 2013)
http://www.westarinstitute.org/store/th ... testament/

Question: has anyone here taken a look at it (or read it)? If so, does it contain any insights not already freely available online?

I'm tempted to buy it, but haven't seen any online "preview" of the text indicating it is any different from the standard Marcion redactions/translations widely available elsewhere...

:confusedsmiley:
Just ordered the book....thanks for info.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

This book has been on my amazon wishlist for a few months now.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Just doing a basic Google search tells me that there is plenty for everyone to hate about it.

One conservative Christian complained that the author must be wrong about there being no NT before Marcion because of the "10" fragments of the NT found among the DSS! FWIW, I think the author rather suggesting there was a prototype that both M & the orthodox both refashioned.

This is touted as the "first" attempt to render Marcion's NT in English, but I wonder. Isn't there an English translation of von Harnack's Marcion? As far as I am aware it only lacks the Index of source passages.

There are translations of reconstructed versions of Marcion's Galatians and Romans, the best attested of the books his NT was supposed to have, and even these are reconstructed out of smoke and mirrors. I've seen reconstructions of his version of Luke as well that are even more tenuous. Yet he's precisely figured it out?

DCH
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

You are correct sir
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

There's a recent interview with BeDuhn about Marcion and his book here:
http://religionforlife.podomatic.com/en ... 6_20-08_00
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Tenorikuma wrote:There's a recent interview with BeDuhn about Marcion and his book here:
Thanks,

I listened to the entire 30 minute podcast, which I think is dated Feb 27, 2014. Very interesting. BeDuhn's POV is actually very reasonable and considered.

I am not as sure of the accuracy of the citations of his gospel and letters of Paul that the proto-orthodox writers used against him as he is. BeDuhn seems to accept that they are indeed citing the actual text of Marcion's gospel or Pauline letters, while I am a little more inclined to believe that what these authors knew of him and the text of his gospel or Pauline letters almost entirely consisted of hearsay. In other words, they were positing hypothetical texts for the sole purpose of knocking them down. Straw men.

However, I am probably now going to buy a copy of his book. Now all I need to do is find a $10+ book to buy at the same time to get free shipping from Amazon ... any suggestions?

EDIT: Too late, I also bought Ancient Gnosticism: Traditions And Literature, by Birger A. Pearson.

Also, added date of the podcast, but I really had to dig for it as the podcasts are not dated on the main page. I really hate it when I look at a Blog post, or whatever, and can tell the exact time it was posted, but not be sure of the date.

DCH :goodmorning:
Last edited by DCHindley on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

DCHindley wrote:
Tenorikuma wrote:There's a recent interview with BeDuhn about Marcion and his book here:
Thanks,

I listened to the entire 30 minute podcast. Very interesting. BeDuhn's POV is actually very reasonable and considered.

I am not as sure of the accuracy of the citations of his gospel and letters of Paul that the proto-orthodox writers used against him as he is. BeDuhn seems to accept that they are indeed citing the actual text of Marcion's gospel or Pauline letters, while I am a little more inclined to believe that what these authors knew of him and the text of his gospel or Pauline letters almost entirely consisted of hearsay. In other words, they were positing hypothetical texts for the sole purpose of knocking them down. Straw men.

However, I am probably now going to buy a copy of his book. Now all I need to do is find a $10+ book to buy at the same time to get free shipping from Amazon ... any suggestions?

DCH :goodmorning:
Goodness me - re amazon.com. I've just purchased the book on amazon.co.uk at 16.59 pounds/27.73 dollars - and I get free shipping. Free shipping is with spending 10 pounds/16.71 dollars.

I just looked at amazon.com and they want spending of 35 dollars for free shipping....maybe it's the greater distances in the US that accounts for the higher spending before free shipping....
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Just like any business, they change the amount of the minimum order for free shipping based on order volume. I think it is lower around the November and December holidays.