Herod was called the Messiah, too

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Re: Herod was called the Messiah, too

Post by Joseph D. L. »

You're trying to argue two different positions at once. (Giuseppe's cat? Is it Tiberius or tybi? Is Herod a product of later Judiazers, or is he necessitated in Marcion's Gospel?).

And the Cerdon, Marcion claim is nonsense, even disproved by Clement who says Marcion came first.

So if you want to argue for 15th Tybi priority, you have to acknowledge that Marcion is an Alexandrian product, as Tybi is Egyptian, not Palestinian. Cerdon is irrelevant either way.
Giuseppe

Re: Herod was called the Messiah, too

Post by Giuseppe »

I don't argue more for Marcionite priority. I mean: even if Marcion preceded all our Gospels, at any case the Earliest Gospel preceded Marcion since the euhemerization was a process started, lead and wanted by Judaizers. They wanted to fix precisely "in the last times" the life of Jesus to prove, against Gnostics (before Marcion), that he was beyond any doubt the Jewish Christ (since the Jewish Christ has to appear "in the last times"). Marcion is only evidence of the hard Gnostic resistance against the increasing equation Jesus=Christ. Just as Barabbas is evidence of the Judaizing anti-marcionite counter-resistance.

In other terms, I am becoming more and more conservative about the nature of the Gospels. They were Jewish books written by Judaizers against Gnostics there out.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.