The destruction of non-Canonical texts?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
DCHindley

Re: The destruction of non-Canonical texts?

Post by DCHindley »

Larry,

If you do not have $140 for the very last hardcopy still on hand at Amazon, or $45 for an E-reader (not a PDF) version, there is a long and detailed discussion of Christian censorship of the Talmud, and censorship in antiquity, in Did Jesus Live 100 BC? (G R S Mead, 1903). He may have been a Theosophist, but he was a fully trained scholar and really does not inject the subject (the teachings of Helena Blavatsky and Henry Steel Olcott, as published by The Theosophical Society, founded 1875) into his works.

The advantage is that it is free.

IV. THE GENESIS OF THE TALMUD
The Real Conditioning of Jewry 68
The Psychological Moment 69
The Study of the Law 70
The Need of it 71
The Fathers of Orthodoxy 72
The Great Heresy 73
The Evolution of Tradition 74
A Glimpse behind the Scenes 75
The Evidence of the Book of Jubilees 76
The Oral Law and its Heredity 77
Objections to the Traditional View 78
The Tradition of the " Esotericists 79
Mysticism and Orthodoxy 81
The Writing of the Oral Tradition 81
The Main Interest of the Talmud for Christians 84

V. THE TALMUD IN HISTORY
Justinian's Novella 86
The Crusades 87
The Inquisition 88
The Paris Trial 89
Persecution in Spain 90
In England 90
One Sensible Pope 91
Spanish Apostates 91
Even the Prayers of the Jews fall under the Ban 92
A History of Apostates
Pfefferkorn 94
Reuchlin 94
The Germ of the Index 95
The Talmud-Fires Relighted 96
The Censor 97
His Absurdities 98
Imnianuel Deutsch 99
Cryptography
Anti-Semitism 102
Odium Theologicum 103

DCH
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

DCHindley wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:12 am Larry,

If you do not have $140 for the very last hardcopy still on hand at Amazon, or $45 for an E-reader (not a PDF) version, there is a long and detailed discussion of Christian censorship of the Talmud, and censorship in antiquity, in Did Jesus Live 100 BC? (G R S Mead, 1903). He may have been a Theosophist, but he was a fully trained scholar and really does not inject the subject (the teachings of Helena Blavatsky and Henry Steel Olcott, as published by The Theosophical Society, founded 1875) into his works.
Thanks! I located the free copy and plan to begin reading it tomorrow.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

I'd sure like to have a chance to read the 'Book of Elchasai' (Book of Elxai) some day. Do you think that this book and others like it that were banned may yet exist as copies hidden within the Vatican library?
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

lsayre wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:54 am I'd sure like to have a chance to read the 'Book of Elchasai' (Book of Elxai) some day. Do you think that this book and others like it that were banned may yet exist as copies hidden within the Vatican library?
Well maybe not the Vatican Archives (that would have stuff personal to the Popes).

I do believe that some recent discoveries related to the Manichaeans found in the far east relates a bit of Mani's personal history, particularly his contact with Elchesai. I believe they were "psalm" books, which are personal and relate to their creator's experiences (like David in the biblical Psalms).

I never followed up with this, though.

DCH
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Is the online interlinear Bible found at the "Bible Hub" a respectable yet free online Koine to English translation tool?

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I prefer this one, since you get multiple definitions, root words and the ability to switch on the fly, and click on individual words to look up occurrences and Greek/Hebrew equivalents. What would be a helpful addition is Latin Vulgate, as many church father writings are in Latin, and seeing the rendering choices is sometimes useful. IMO it's a much slicker interface as well.

https://www.studylight.org/desk/interlinear.cgi
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Stuart wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:28 am I prefer this one, since you get multiple definitions, root words and the ability to switch on the fly, and click on individual words to look up occurrences and Greek/Hebrew equivalents. What would be a helpful addition is Latin Vulgate, as many church father writings are in Latin, and seeing the rendering choices is sometimes useful. IMO it's a much slicker interface as well.

https://www.studylight.org/desk/interlinear.cgi
Thank you Stuart!