Quest of the mythical Jesus available online

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
User avatar
neilgodfrey
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Quest of the mythical Jesus available online

Post by neilgodfrey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 am

Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
1) This is primarily relegated to antichristians or at the very least anti-orthodox Christian reaction and has almost always been. Arthur Drews, the USSR, the People's Republic of China, Kotoku Shusui, the earliest deists who promoted the view in the 1600's onward, the Deutscher Monistenbund (the exception kinda, sorta being Kalthoff, but even his goal with the Monist league was to replace Christianity), American Atheist (especially the press under Zindler), Atheist United (which funded Carrier's books), Hypatia Press (which is publishing Loftus' varieties of mythicism), Prometheus Books (a secularist press founded by Kurtz, who was a noted philosopher trying to disprove Christianity who, just so happened, to actively call into question Jesus' existence in his books too), Michael Martin and Raphael Lataster (philosophers of religion who have adamantly held to mythicist/agnostic stances and expounded upon them in their works to disprove Christianity, see Martin's Case Against Christianity and Lataster's PhD Thesis). Today, the vast majority of mythicists are found in places with an antichristian agenda.
Just repeating what has been rebutted as a fallacy does not make it any less a fallacious argument.
Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
Next, since you are also so interested in my personal reasons for putting my harsher critiques under a different name:
I'm not at all interested in your personal reasons. You do indeed read way too much into others' words. I said you sounded like a troubled soul. Whatever troubles you have are none of my concern.
Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
(A) Because mythicists have actively attempted hurting my personal life by doxing me and attempting to disrupt my education.
Oh my god! So I'm a mythicist therefore I'm lumped as guilty along with all who harm you -- and that's why you so viciously attacked me on my blog? Are you serious? What harm have I ever done to you? If a person of colour hurts you do you attack all persons of colour in retaliation? Seriously?

Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
((B) Because my local atheist community actually removed my membership because I was not a mythicist (and I know of others who have had this don against them as well).
My god my god! Atheist communities have kicked me out because I AM deemed to be a mythicist. So what's your problem, exactly???

Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
((C) Because any time I make a negative comment calling someone out, I get lambasted half across the internet and then have to explain to various people reading this material what was going on.
You worry about your image too much. Sheesh. I'd be a total mental and nervous wreck if I got upset and tried to explain myself to everyone who didn't like the way I say something. Chill. Ignore them. Why worry? Are you really so important? I'm not so important that I feel I have to defend myself to every tom, dick and harry.

Just learn to watch your tone if you think that might be a problem. Otherwise, if your tone is fine, just ignore the critics.

Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
((D) Because my work gets misconstrued for usage/rebuttal by apologists and mythicists/agnostics alike.
Mine too. It's a very large non-exclusive club we belong to. Whose work doesn't get misconstrued by someone? Why care what apologists or mythicist-hating or historicist-hating atheists say? If they are on an agenda like that they are not worth the time of day. I usually just disappear from here every time I sense the respondents are more about attitude than critical discussion.

Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
((E) Because I had to file a police report because a mythicist threatened to track me down and attack me for banning them from a FaceBook group.
"Had to"? And how did the police respond to your filing that report? I guess if I'm deemed to be a mythicist then I just have to wear your hatred of all mythicists, huh. Hell -- I have the same problem with lots of Acharya S and Joe Atwill type mythicists. They are not nice people on the whole. And I have even more or equal problems from apologists, both lay and scholarly. I have been defamed etc, too, and in print. I could go out of my way to try to sue various people, authors, publishers, etc -- but I'd rather get on with my life.

People who know me and know what I write know when others are being dishonest and unjust in what they say. Why worry about anyone else? Those are are genuinely interested in me and what I say will not be swayed by the jerks.

Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
(This is likewise why I was going under a pen name for Loftus' volume. I was "PC Emery" writing the history of mythicism (and you can confirm that with Bob Price or with Loftus, or the publisher). I pulled my chapter after Bob's recent transphobic, Islamaphobic, and sexist comments were made, because frankly I don't need my work to be associated with that crap.
I can't stand Bob for many reasons, either. But see above. Others have written about me in the company of those I have nothing in common with. Again -- see above -- those who are worth the time of day will know the difference.


Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
(So yes, I have gone under different names on Vridar to avoid the crap that goes my way. But shame on me for having fear for my own livelihood after being threatened (which I have receipts of, btw, and am more than willing to email them to you).
You are not the lone suffering martyr in this world. GIve a little thought to others, too. In fact, I spend more time coming to the defence of others whom I believe are unjustly attacked. I'd probably to the same for you if you didn't spend so much time lying, hiding, being two-faced and double-tongued and kicking me in the balls along with everyone else you hate. If you want any allies then don't kick everyone who you merely think should be associated with a jerk.

Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
(2) I never said I was doing a sociological study (if that is what you are implying by the once again cut-off cherry picked fragment) nor do I have intentions to do so. In fact, after this book I have no intentions on ever engaging in this debate again, and plan on fully leaving behind mythicism and the Bible entirely, because frankly I'm beginning to see it as a waste of time. It has had demonstrably negative affects on my life, so I'm done after this.
You worry about your image too much. I learned not to take myself so seriously a long time ago. I just ignore and walk away from venues where people are not nice. If I respond I try to be careful not to do it in the nasty way they go about it.

Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
(But I get this is what happens when I try to make a book where my central thesis is that mythicism should be taken seriously and not handwaved. I get misconstrued, misrepresented, and lambasted for trying to protect my identity and for... noting ostensibly verifiable correlations.
Oh get over it. Do you really think that is the reason you attract hostility? Re-read your comment here, say, 6 months from now, and it should be very evident -- as plain as it is to others reading it now -- that the reasons you have troubles is not because you are writing the book you say you are, but your confused and confusing messages and tone. Okay, people should be smart enough to see through all that and see everything just the way you do -- but you need to get a grip on reality to realize that's not how the real world works.


Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
(Frankly, though I must thank you for your comment on there that I am a "troubled soul". Because yes, I am. Thanks for making it clear to me that I really don't belong here discussing the Bible anymore. It explained a lot and really demonstrated clearly to me that I should move on to things I actually enjoy and love doing, like creative writing and editing.
Well, yeh -- as I said, I spend more time defending others than I do myself despite the shit that has been published in print and online about me - by atheists and apologists and historicists and mythicists and lay people and scholars. If you hadn't gone out of your way to attack me with all the outrageous lies (like you say are leveled at you) and abusive insults then I would have been willing to be your friend, too.

P.S. I used to have a victimhood mentality, too. Then someone pointed it out to me at a time it cost me very, very dearly. Word of advice: Stop seeing yourself as a victim all the time. Move on.

User avatar
neilgodfrey
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Quest of the mythical Jesus available online

Post by neilgodfrey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 am

Chris Hansen wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am


So yes, I have gone under different names on Vridar to avoid the crap that goes my way.
No Chris. that's NOT the reason you went under the name Vander Snatch on Vridar. You have never copped any shit on Vridar. You went under a different name in order to anonymously throw shit over me!

Be honest with yourself.

User avatar
mlinssen
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Quest of the mythical Jesus available online

Post by mlinssen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:48 am

:popcorn:

Post Reply