Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
User avatar
Giuseppe
Posts: 7652
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:37 am
Location: Italy

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by Giuseppe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Joseph D. L. wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:22 pm
What took you so long?
to do what?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.

User avatar
Joseph D. L.
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 am

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by Joseph D. L. » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:29 pm

The onus probandi is on you to prove this drastic anomaly.
No, the burden of proof is on you to prove that there even is such an anomaly, just as it is you who has the burden of proof to prove that Barabbas is what you claim. You have refused to do either.

And personally, I don't care who agrees with you. That's not how science is conducted. I am swayed by evidence and arguments. Not personalities.

Nah, it's you hanging from the proverbial celestial cross with your shriveled up dangly bits hanging out for all to see and mock.

Do you have a family? A wife and children? Something tells me you don't.

User avatar
Giuseppe
Posts: 7652
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:37 am
Location: Italy

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by Giuseppe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Joseph D. L. wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:29 pm
The onus probandi is on you to prove this drastic anomaly.
No, the burden of proof is on you to prove that there even is such an anomaly, just as it is you who has the burden of proof to prove that Barabbas is what you claim. You have refused to do either.
by removing the Barabbas passage, the cited anomaly disappears. The rest follows. As to you, remain also forever with the anomaly, and with the boring situation of who considers proto-John a Judaizing gospel.
Do you have a family? A wife and children? Something tells me you don't.
I have just passed the thirty and at moment it's not among my priorities.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.

User avatar
Joseph D. L.
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 am

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by Joseph D. L. » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Giuseppe wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:39 pm
by removing the Barabbas passage, the cited anomaly disappears. The rest follows. As to you, remain also forever with the anomaly, and with the boring situation of who considers proto-John a Judaizing gospel.
You casually ignore the question as to where Barabbas came from, and ignore the obvious problem to your theory that he doesn't exist to the supposed Judiazers or the Jews. He is strictly an invention of the Marcionites and Gnostics, your so-called Gentilizers.
I have just passed the thirty and at moment it's not among my priorities.
Holy fuck we're the same age?!??!?!!

Dude we are the Batman and the Joker. Shadowy reflections of one another.

Image

User avatar
Joseph D. L.
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 am

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by Joseph D. L. » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:46 pm

I need to go pray.

Charles Wilson
Posts: 1517
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:13 am

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by Charles Wilson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:53 pm

Joseph D. L. wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:46 pm
I need to go pray.
Or maybe go listen to Ina-Gadda-DaVita. Something productive.

User avatar
Baley
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:45 am

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by Baley » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:25 am

Hi, Giuseppe and Joseph. I've been visiting these pages for over a year now but had never registered until today. I actually registered to let you know how disappointing it is for an outsider to read all these personal insults and acrimonious remarks.

I think you both need to step back a little. I love the discussion though.

All the best.

User avatar
Giuseppe
Posts: 7652
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:37 am
Location: Italy

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by Giuseppe » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:49 am

Baley wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:25 am
l
I think you both need to step back a little. I love the discussion though.
I share in toto your wise advice. Hence, I will follow it.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.

User avatar
Baley
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:45 am

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by Baley » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:03 am

Thank you Giuseppe. And know that I find your contributions - though not always fleshed out - very thought-provoking. I appreciate reading them.

robert j
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Re: Evidence that Irenaeus knows the meaning of Barabbas ("Son of Father")

Post by robert j » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:19 am

Baley wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:25 am

Hi, Giuseppe and Joseph. I've been visiting these pages for over a year now but had never registered until today. I actually registered to let you know how disappointing it is for an outsider to read all these personal insults and acrimonious remarks.
Baley, thank you for this comment.

Personally, I have stepped way, way back from participation in this forum, primarily because of other priorities. But seeing unchecked acrimony and personal attacks have influenced my choices here.

I wonder how many have checked-out this forum looking for intellectually stimulating discussions of early Christian history and texts, but perused a couple of the "wrong" threads and decided this was just another forum where too many participants come to vent their spleen. And then said, "no thanks".

It is unfortunate because over the years, and even now, this problem is very, very limited in terms of offending posters.

Post Reply