Dating One Corinthians 13

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Re: Dating One Corinthians 13

Post by Joseph D. L. »

perseusomega9 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:01 pm To your last part, my initial thinking is that the torture of christian martyrs by fire would place the writing of 1 cor 13 somewhere between Tacitus and the martyrdom of Polycarp/Peregrinus.
I wonder if Justin's condemnation of heretics to fire has any baring on this as well.

Also, 1 Clement compares resurrection to that of the Phoenix, who immolated itself so as to be reborn, and Paul preaches the need to be baptized as a means of rebirth. Connection?
perseusomega9

Re: Dating One Corinthians 13

Post by perseusomega9 »

This is a good reminder to myself to check for dialogue between 1 Clement and ignatius/Polycarp
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
JoeWallack

Rich Corinthian Blather

Post by JoeWallack »

perseusomega9 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:49 am I was reading an essay by Krister Stendahl and he was discussing 1 Cor 13. In 13:3 he quotes
If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body to be burned , but do not have love, I have gained nothing
this jumped out at me as I've never seen that before. So I pull out my Harper Collins and in place of burned it reads "hand over my body so that I may boast" with a footnote that says some mss read burned. Checking my UBS the difference is kauxesomai vs kauthesomai.

Since my Greek is rudimentary (equivalent to a 1st grader), is there any consensus which is the more original. The 'burned" version seems to indicate a late 1st through 2nd century date, as I can't think of martyr traditions where Christians were burned until the 2nd century (unless Tacitus' report of Nero is genuine but then that still seems to imply a later date than Cornthians is usually assigned).

Thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8TyIEAqps

JW:
Boy did you come to the right place:

Laparola
καυχήσωμαι][Boasting] p46 ‭א A B (048 καυχήσομαι) 0150 33 69 1739* copsa copbo gothmg Clement Origen Didymus Jerome2/3 mssaccording to Jerome WH NA NM
  • p46 = c. 200

א = c.350

B = c. 350

A = c. 450

048 = c. 450

copsa = c. 300

copbo = c. 300

gothmg = c. 350
From a Skeptical Criticism (the only kind I use) standpoint the External evidence already favors "boasting". I'm not aware of any other reading with this much quality External support that is not the likely original. Combined with "boasting" obviously being The Difficult Reading here, this is not an interesting Textual Criticism issue. The survival of the early evidence for the likely original "boasting" tells us that it was not considered an especially difficult reading, such as a negative description of Jesus (think 1:41) would be.

Joseph

Skeptical Textual Criticism