The Real Bottom Line in the Mythicism Debate

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

Re: The Real Bottom Line in the Mythicism Debate

Post by robert j »

Solo wrote,
… the abrupt ending leaves IMO no alternative to either Mark not knowing of the appearances to Peter and Co. or his consciously suppressing them. My take on the ending is that Mark argues it was not the disciples but someone else who first witnessed and proclaimed the resurrection of Jesus as the (beginning of the) gospel.

Hi Jiri,

Well, sure, if by someone else you mean the mysterious young man in the otherwise empty tomb.

But I don't believe that Mark didn't know about, or was consciously suppressing, appearances to Peter and company. After all, Mark has the mysterious young man instruct the women to tell the disciples and Peter to go to the Galilee where they will see Jesus.

One can only speculate why Mark chose to conclude his imagined beginning at that point.

robert j.
Solo

Post by Solo »

robert j wrote:
Solo wrote,
… the abrupt ending leaves IMO no alternative to either Mark not knowing of the appearances to Peter and Co. or his consciously suppressing them. My take on the ending is that Mark argues it was not the disciples but someone else who first witnessed and proclaimed the resurrection of Jesus as the (beginning of the) gospel.

Hi Jiri,

Well, sure, if by someone else you mean the mysterious young man in the otherwise empty tomb.

But I don't believe that Mark didn't know about, or was consciously suppressing, appearances to Peter and company. After all, Mark has the mysterious young man instruct the women to tell the disciples and Peter to go to the Galilee where they will see Jesus.

One can only speculate why Mark chose to conclude his imagined beginning at that point.

robert j.
Unfortunately, you do not seem to grasp the nature of the dilemma, Robert. No matter how you interpret the "young man" in the cave, the text makes it clear that the message did not reach Peter and the disciples. It does not matter how you slice it, or what you want to believe Mark intended by such an ending, the problem this ending creates remains the same. Either Mark knew that Jesus appeared to his followers a few days after his death (or they hallucinated his appearance) and he suppressed this information or he did not know about such traditions. I consider the likelihood of him writing falsehood minimal. There is just too much Mark in the other Synoptics (and important Markan themes in John as well) to make such a view stick.

It is far more probable that it was Paul who first preached Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead, because in his lifetime such doctrine would have been utterly baffling to most Jews, including the messianists. It is by no accident that Pau's theology first spread among Gentiles.
How does this project in the earliest gospel ? Well, the paschal plot of Mark revolves around the nature of the Messiah. Peter, the Zebedees as well as the Sanhendrin have no idea that Jesus considers himself to be another kind of Christ - not the one known to their traditions. The disciples are frightened by the new concept of Paul (the spectre of Jesus walking on the sea, Peter's Confession, the Transfiguration) and betray their ignorance of it (e.g. in 9:10, and in the Zebs requesting to sit on the royal thrones next to Jesus), but it was known to the reader of the gospel through Paul's letters. Hence the great meystery and the messianic secret.

Best,
Jiri
robert j

Post by robert j »

Solo wrote,
Either Mark knew that Jesus appeared to his followers a few days after his death (or they hallucinated his appearance) and he suppressed this information or he did not know about such traditions. I consider the likelihood of him writing falsehood minimal.

I grant that Mark suppressed the post-resurrection appearances to Peter and company --- Mark has the women afraid and not passing-on the message. That's in-line with Mark's denigration of the disciples, and especially Peter --- they didn't adequately grasp his message --- they fell asleep on him in the garden --- Peter denied him 3 times, etc. Perhaps Mark was loath to explicitly award a resurrection appearance to his version of an unworthy Peter --- his story is concluded before getting that far.

But the women didn't need to relay the message. Jesus, in Mark's tale, had already told Peter and company that he will be resurrected and will go ahead of them to the Galilee (Mark 14:28 and 16:7).

You seem to reject suppression in favor of Mark not knowing about traditions of appearances to Peter and company. For me, that's a bridge too far when Mark specifically names Peter and the disciples in relation to post-resurrection appearances.

robert j.
Last edited by robert j on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert j

Post by robert j »

Just made some additions to my post above --- robert j.
Solo

Post by Solo »

robert j wrote:
Solo wrote,
Either Mark knew that Jesus appeared to his followers a few days after his death (or they hallucinated his appearance) and he suppressed this information or he did not know about such traditions. I consider the likelihood of him writing falsehood minimal.

I grant that Mark suppressed the post-resurrection appearances to Peter and company --- Mark has the women afraid and not passing-on the message. That's in-line with Mark's denigration of the disciples, and especially Peter --- they didn't adequately grasp his message --- they fell asleep on him in the garden --- Peter denied him 3 times, etc. Perhaps Mark was loath to explicitly award a resurrection appearance to his version of an unworthy Peter --- his story is concluded before getting that far.
But the reason you think it gets that far is that the subsequent gospels - starting with Matthew - tell you it went that far. You do not have any "evidence" other than that, I imagine. From my vantage point, I see no evidence internally or externally that Mark intended to reverse the failure of the women to deliver the message and the disciples making it to Galilee where Jesus of the gospel directed them.
But the women didn't need to relay the message. Jesus, in Mark's tale, had already told Peter and company that he will be resurrected and will go ahead of them to the Galilee (Mark 14:28 and 16:7).
Well, my friend, I don't agree. First, I think you have granted that the disciples did not hear the the message of 16:7. It was not delivered. Now, if you go back to 14:28 and read on you will find that Peter ignores Jesus' words about him going to Galilee and reacts instead to the preceding statement about the stricken shepherd and the scattered sheep. Some temporary scholars want to argue that this is a clumsy Markan redaction but I see in Peter's not hearing Jesus on the Mount of Olives a pronounced intent following a consistent pattern. When Jesus reveals his earthly fate and that he would be resurrected at Caesarea Philippi, Peter grabs him. Jesus rebukes him but takes him and the inner core of his disciples to the mountain to do a demo of his resurrected glory. They don't get it. When he tells them not to tell anone what they had seen until Son of Man rises from the dead they "kept the matter secret arguing among themselves what the rising from the dead should mean" (9:10). Later, when Jesus repeats his teaching from Caesarea Philippi, the disciplies " did not understand the saying, and they wre afraid to ask" (9:32). In 10:37 the Zebs request seating next to Jesus when he sits on the throne of his messianic glory. He tells them "you don't know what you are asking". His throne will be the cross and the privilege of being seated next to him will be granted to two robbers.

So I see a significant POV written into Mark, which asserts that the disciples though apparently devoted to Jesus were idolators who did not have faith in his purpose and shrank from the cross. I have come to believe that the renaming of Cephas to the Greek 'Petros' was originally a clever pun by Mark, pointing to Romans 9:33 : "behold, I am lying in Zion a stone, a rock (petra) that will make them fall; and he who believes in him will not be disgraced ". Mark's gospel was evidently written for a community which did not yet include the other Jesus traditions, most notably the ones originating in the missions of James' church, in which Cephas, James and John figured prominently. If faith was the sine qua non of receiving the gospel in Mark (see 4:12), then the Petrine traditions at that point did not yet accept the cross. I imagine that the gospel was something like an invitation for the Petrines to join in, unfortunately written up in an unnecessarily harsh and debasing manner which invited the Matthean backlash.

best,
Jiri
You seem to reject suppression in favor of Mark not knowing about traditions of appearances to Peter and company. For me, that's a bridge too far when Mark specifically names Peter and the disciples in relation to post-resurrection appearances.

robert j.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

I think the above disagreement supports the view that Mark loved ambiguity.

Was the resurrection appearance literally in Galilee or was it at the "second coming" at the destruction of Jerusalem?
Was the young man in the tomb an angel? A symbol? An earlier character?
Did the women flee in terror-fear or did they flee in awe-fear?
Was Jairus' daughter really dead or only thought to be dead?
Was the centurion's confession worship or sarcasm?
Was Simon of Cyrene representing a devout or a collaborator?
Women looking on the crucifixion stood "from afar" out of devotion or fear?
Joseph of Arimathea was acting as a faithful follower or hostile counselor in burying Jesus?
. . . . .

These and others are some of the ambiguities in Mark that have long been debated. Was Mark being deliberately ambiguous?
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
robert j

Post by robert j »

Jiri,

I appreciate your analyses and opinions. However, I don't agree that the author of GMark was unaware of earlier traditions of (post-resurrection) appearances to Peter and company. I have already stated some of my reasons. I also know that we have different interpretations of certain passages in 1 Corinthians and Galatians that are invoked in this issue as well --- I'm not interested in opening that can of worms at this time. I'm likely to be away from my keyboard for an extended period of time, so I'm going to agree to disagree with you for now.

robert j.
Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne »

Stephan Huller wrote:The "bottom line" is that the gospel is really about the destruction of the temple. Mark isn't even concerned with explaining who Jesus was, BECAUSE he's really only interested in reframing the events of 70 CE.
I think some mythicists do hold this position. Isn't that what R.G. Price maintains: http://www.rationalrevolution.net/artic ... l_mark.htm?

Mark is a allegory explaining the destruction of the temple:
RGPrice wrote:What most Biblical scholars have failed to do, however, is fully recognize the significance of the destruction of Jerusalem in relation to the Gospel of Mark. Most Biblical scholars simply view the destruction of Jerusalem as a reference point in time in relation to which the Gospel of Mark can be dated, simply an event on a timeline, but few actually put the Gospel of Mark in the context of the Jewish War. This is because most Biblical scholars view all of the Gospels as being "about Jesus". For them Jesus is the subject, Jesus is the impetus, Jesus is the driving factor behind the writing of the Gospels. If you were to ask most Biblical scholars why the Gospels were written the answer would invariably be, "In order to record the life and teachings of Jesus Christ." The Gospel of Mark is viewed no differently than the other Gospels in this regard. Why was the Gospel of Mark written according to Christians? In order to record the life and teaching of Jesus of course...

Well, not so. At least, what I propose and hope to demonstrate is that this is not so. I will demonstrate that the Gospel of Mark was written in reaction to the destruction of Jerusalem, and that the destruction of Jerusalem is not simply an event which can be used to date the writing, but that the destruction of Jerusalem was the impetus for the writing of the Gospel of Mark, that it is central to understanding the Gospel of Mark, and that the narrative of the Gospel of Mark is rooted in symbolism about the destruction of Jerusalem. I will here argue that the author of the Gospel of Mark was writing a fictional story and that the author himself knew that Jesus was not a real person, but rather the author was using Jesus as a fictional character in an intentionally fictional and allegorical narrative.
So I am not sure what the "curent crop" of mythicists means unless Price is not included in that category?
John T

Post by John T »

Solo posted: "It is far more probable that it was Paul who first preached Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead, because in his lifetime such doctrine would have been utterly baffling to most Jews, including the messianists."

How then do you explain 1 Cor 15:3-4? " For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, and that he was buried, and the he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures."

Just what scriptures are those?
Isa. 53, Dan 9, Psa 2, 16

Then of course you have the extra-biblical prophecy of the stone of Gabriel's Revelation from the community of Essenes.

“If true, this [Gabriel’s Revelation] could mean that Jesus’ followers had access to a well-established paradigm when they decreed that Christ himself rose from the dead.”
http://www.normgeisler.com/articles/Bib ... nStone.htm

So, it is clear that Paul did not come up with the idea of a resurrected Messiah, it had been around for quite some time.

Respectfully,
John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

... from the community of Essenes. Sure.