A suggestion concerning secret sayings in gospel texts.

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ben C. Smith

A suggestion concerning secret sayings in gospel texts.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

In each of our three synoptic gospels, Jesus offers a strange (and controversial) explanation for his penchant for speaking in parables:

Matthew 13.10-17: 10 And the disciples came and said to Him, "Why do You speak to them in parables?" 11 Jesus answered them, "To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted. 12 For whoever has, to him more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has shall be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables; because while seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 In their case the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled, which says, 'You will keep on hearing, but will not understand; you will keep on seeing, but will not perceive; 15 for the heart of this people has become dull, with their ears they scarcely hear, and they have closed their eyes; otherwise they would see with their eyes, hear with their ears, and understand with their heart and return, and I would heal them.' 16 But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear. 17 For truly I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

Mark 4.10-12: 10 As soon as He was alone, His followers, along with the twelve, began asking Him about the parables. 11 And He was saying to them, "To you has been given the mystery of the kingdom of God, but those who are outside get everything in parables, 12 so that while seeing, they may see and not perceive, and while hearing, they may hear and not understand, otherwise they might return and be forgiven."

Luke 8.9-10: 9 His disciples began questioning Him as to what this parable meant. 10 And He said, "To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is in parables, so that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.

Now, this emphasis on keeping things a mystery for outsiders but instructing insiders is by no means universal throughout the synoptic gospels. The eschatological materials, for example, appear to give information and signs which are meant to be intelligible to anybody who listens, as summed up in a Marcan verse at the end of the Olivet Discourse:

Mark 13.37: 37 "What I say to you I say to all, 'Be on the alert!'"

While the parables seem, according to the explanation, to be designed to separate insiders from outsiders, this open warning to all gives one pretty much the opposite impression.

I do not actually think that the parables were originally composed for any such divisive purpose; I suspect that the theme of mystery has been imposed upon them after the fact. Indeed, I have argued before, with respect to the very parable to which this explanation is attached, that the interpretation of the parable of the sower postdates the actual parable itself:
Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 amThis is my current best explanation for the unevenness, and for the parable as a whole with relation to its Marcan context:
  1. The parable is not of Marcan origin. Mark likes to simplify spectra of humans into binary categories: insiders and outsiders, those "with me" and those "against me," those who will enter the kingdom and those who will not. (Mark is not alone in this Christian predilection.) The parable, however, dwells upon nuances. A similar process can be seen in Matthew and Luke with respect to the parable of the pounds/talents, vis-à-vis the version in one of the Jewish-Christian gospels, which I argue to have preceded the canonical version: an original array of three separate outcomes has been flattened into only two outcomes, acceptance and rejection.
  2. But the parable is colorful and meaningful, is part of the growing tradition, and it is a good example of something that a Galilean peasant teacher might have uttered, so Mark includes it in his gospel, the more so because he can both relate it to the kingdom of God and wring an allusion to Peter out of it in the second kind of soil.
  3. The explanation of the parable is younger than the parable itself, however. The explanation does not always fully reflect the parable itself. For example, there is no real sense in which the first seed, which falls by the side of the road and is immediately eaten by birds, can be said to have entered into the ground, yet the explanation speaks of the word that "has been sown into them" (τὸν ἐσπαρμένον εἰς αὐτούς), the hearers. The first soil, for which "hearing" consists of the seed merely falling upon the ground, contrasts with the third soil, for which "hearing" seems to consist of the seed actually starting to sprout.
  4. Mark knows that the disciples would later become apostles and leaders of the church, and he has no desire to mitigate this fact. However, Mark also wishes to use the disciples as foolish foils for Jesus in the gospel. This bifurcation creates a real tension in the gospel: are the disciples insiders or outsiders? In fact, Mark is inconsistent on this score, even within chapter 4. On the one hand, the disciples are given "the mystery of the kingdom of God" in verse 11, explicitly contrasting them with outsiders who receive only parables; the disciples receive, not only the parables, but also the explanations, which Jesus immediately proceeds to give them in verses 13-20. So obviously the disciples are insiders. On the other hand, it is outsiders who are characterized as hearing and not understanding in verse 12; and Jesus immediately expresses frustration that the disciples, despite hearing, have not understood in verse 13. So obviously the disciples are outsiders. Real life does not tend to fall neatly into insider and outsider categories. Just as the disciples' insider/outsider status is ambiguous, due to the uneasy interplay of the fact that they became respected church leaders with the probable fiction that they were bumbling idiots during Jesus' ministry, so too the insider/outsider status of each of the first three categories of soil is ambiguous, because it is hard in real life to force nuance into binary categories.
  5. The whole parable comes off in the end as a warning not to lose one's insider status and become an outsider. Be like the soil in which the seed multiplies manifold, not like the soils in which the seed sooner or later fails to produce. This paraenetic focus is what renders the imperfect fit of the four categories with a simple insider/outsider status irrelevant from the authorial point of view, explaining why the author either did not notice or did not care about the tensions in this chapter.
I believe that this explanation of mine attempts both to understand each aspect on its own (understanding the fourfold parable as a traditional element forced imperfectly into the Christian twofold understanding of one's status in the kingdom) and to understand how it all works together for Mark as an author (whose purpose is not descriptive, as if to map out the different kinds of Christians, but rather prescriptive: do this and not that). It explains both why the numerous discrepancies exist (because the author is adapting materials to uses they were not originally intended for) and why Mark would tolerate them (because the author was instructing, not analyzing).
I stand by that analysis. The secret teaching which the disciples receive consists of the interpretation of the parable; the parable itself is, just like all of the other (mostly uninterpreted) parables in the synoptic gospels, the free and open teaching which characterizes early Christian preaching: "What I say to you I say to all."

Now, this observation that the secret explanation seems to postdate the open teaching affects only a tiny portion of the synoptic record. There are, however, gospels for which the emphasis on the receipt of secret teaching or the explanation of mysteries seems to impact most of or even the whole of the text. These are the sayings or dialogue gospels, texts which purport to offer discourses, practically uninterrupted by narrative, between Jesus and various followers of his. A quick survey of (most or all of) the sayings or dialogue gospels which predate Constantine (both for convenience and because Christian culture changed so dramatically under Constantine) yields the following results:

Gospel of Mary 10: 10 Peter said to Mary, "Sister, we know that the Savior loved you more than all other women. Tell us the words of the Savior that you remember, the things which you know that we don't because we haven't heard them." Mary responded, "I will teach you about what is hidden from you." And she began to speak these words to them. ....

Gospel of Judas 0: 0 This is the secret message of judgment Jesus spoke with Judas Iscariot over a period of eight days, three days before he celebrated Passover.

Gospel of Thomas 0: 0 These are the secret sayings that the living Jesus spoke and Didymos Judas Thomas recorded.

Apocryphon of James 0: 0 James writes to [...]: Peace be with you from Peace, love from Love, grace from Grace, faith from Faith, life from Holy Life! Since you asked that I send you a secret book which was revealed to me and Peter by the Lord, I could not turn you away or gainsay (?) you; but I have written it in the Hebrew alphabet and sent it to you, and you alone. But since you are a minister of the salvation of the saints, endeavor earnestly and take care not to rehearse this text to many — this that the Savior did not wish to tell to all of us, his twelve disciples. But blessed will they be who will be saved through the faith of this discourse. I also sent you, ten months ago, another secret book which the Savior had revealed to me. Under the circumstances, however, regard that one as revealed to me, James; but this one .... ...the twelve disciples were all sitting together and recalling what the Savior had said to each one of them, whether in secret or openly, and putting it in books — but I was writing that which was in my book — lo, the Savior appeared, after departing from us while we gazed after him. And five hundred and fifty days since he had risen from the dead, we said to him, "Have you departed and removed yourself from us?" But Jesus said, "No, but I shall go to the place from whence I came. If you wish to come with me, come!"

Apocryphon of John 0: 0 The teaching of the savior, and the revelation of the mysteries and the things hidden in silence, even these things which he taught John, his disciple.

Book of Thomas the Contender 0: 0 The secret words that the savior spoke to Judas Thomas which I, even I, Mathaias, wrote down, while I was walking, listening to them speak with one another.

Sophia of Jesus Christ 0: 0 After he rose from the dead, his twelve disciples and seven women continued to be his followers, and went to Galilee onto the mountain called "Divination and Joy." When they gathered together and were perplexed about the underlying reality of the universe and the plan, and the holy providence, and the power of the authorities, and about everything the Savior is doing with them in the secret of the holy plan, the Savior appeared — not in his previous form, but in the invisible spirit. And his likeness resembles a great angel of light. But his resemblance I must not describe. No mortal flesh could endure it, but only pure, perfect flesh, like that which he taught us about on the mountain called "Of the Olives" in Galilee. And he said: "Peace be to you, My peace I give you!" And they all marveled and were afraid. The Savior laughed and said to them: "What are you thinking about? Are you perplexed? What are you searching for?" Philip said: "For the underlying reality of the universe and the plan."

Gospel of the Savior: [Too fragmentary.]

Dialogue of the Savior 0: 0 The Savior said to his disciples, "Already the time has come, brothers, for us to abandon our labor and stand at rest. For whoever stands at rest will rest forever. And I say to you, be always above [...] time [...] you [...] be afraid of [...] you [...] anger is fearful [...] arouse anger [...] but since you have [...] they accepted these words concerning it with fear and trembling, and it set them up with governors, for from it nothing was forthcoming. But when I came, I opened the path, and I taught them about the passage which they will traverse, the elect and solitary, who have known the Father, having believed the truth and all the praises while you offered praise." .... "And to someone who will not know the root of all things, they remain hidden."

Gospel of Mani: I, Mani, the Apostle of Jesus the Friend, by the will of the Father, the true God, of Him, by whom I have become.... Everything that is and everything that was and will be is by His Power. The blessed ones will receive this message, the wise ones understand it, the strong ones will take on the wisdom of the wise....

Traditions of Matthias apud Hippolytus, Refutation of All Heresies 7.20.1a: 1a Basilides, then, and Isidore the legitimate child and disciple of Basilides say that Matthias spoke to them apocryphal words which he had heard from the savior, having been taught in private.

The last two on that list may be too fragmentary for our purposes, but I have included them for the sake of completeness because we can discern the same theme among their fragments or patristic descriptions as we do in the extant texts of the others on the list. Other gospel texts, including the gospels of Eve, of the Twelve, and of Basilides (which I am not convinced ever even existed; I think it may simply be a confusion for the attested commentary written by Basilides), fail to make the list because whatever fragments or descriptions we possess of them are too slender to allow us to tell whether the theme of mystery or secrecy was present or not. Furthermore, I have completely discounted texts which, like the Gospel of Truth (which happens to contain the theme of mystery or secrecy nonetheless), do not fit the genre; that is, they are not presented as sayings or dialogue by Jesus or his followers; they are just the author talking, as if in a sermon or a pamphlet.

The Sophia of Jesus Christ, it ought to be observed, is basically a rewrite of Eugnostos the Blessed, turning an explanatory text much like the Gospel of Truth into an actual dialogue gospel, simply by inserting Jesus and his disciples as mouthpieces for the discussion presented anonymously in the original. A similar process has happened in the Targumim of some of the canonical psalms, such as Psalm 91, which is transformed from a discursive whole into a brief dialogue between David, Solomon, and the Lord of the World.

The gospel of Philip is a marginal case, being comprised of nothing but sayings, but with the only attribution for those sayings residing in the title, "gospel of Philip." There is no real dialogue, and with the exception of a handful of sayings there is no figure (whether Jesus or "the Savior" or any of the disciples) speaking in the text. The theme of mystery definitely appears, but it does not explicitly describe the whole of the text in as obvious a manner as the rest of the examples:

Gospel of Philip 135-136: 135 At the present time, we have the manifest things of creation. We say, "The strong who are held in high regard are great people. And the weak who are despised are the obscure." Contrast the manifest things of truth: they are weak and despised, while the hidden things are strong and held in high regard. 136 The mysteries of truth are revealed, though in type and image. The bridal chamber, however, remains hidden. It is the Holy in the Holy.

Finally, the Epistle of the Apostles, while not entirely in the form of a dialogue gospel, certainly bears some of the stronger elements of the genre, and it seems both (A) to know this theme of secrecy or mystery and (B) to deliberately eschew it:

Epistle of the Apostles 1: 1 The book which Jesus Christ revealed unto his disciples: and how that Jesus Christ revealed the book for the company of the apostles, the disciples of Jesus Christ, even the book which is for all men. Simon and Cerinthus, the false apostles, concerning whom it is written that no man shall cleave unto them, for there is in them deceit wherewith they bring men to destruction. (The book has been written) that you may be not flinch or be troubled, and depart not from the word of the Gospel which you have heard. Like as we heard it, we keep it in remembrance and have written it for the whole world. We commend you our sons and our daughters in joy <in the grace of God (?)> in the name of God the Father the Lord of the world, and of Jesus Christ. Let grace be multiplied upon you.

This introduction sounds much more in keeping with the spirit of openness in the synoptic Olivet Discourse than it does with whatever is going on with the synoptic parable of the seed.

My suggestion is as follows. The offering of secret teaching, as expressed in many of the dialogue and sayings gospels quoted above, seems to presume the existence of free and open teaching. The sense is that you, the intended reader, have already been exposed to what is meant for the masses or for outsiders, but hold on! There is more; there is secret information granted only to the wise, only to the elect, only to insiders. In the case of the Apocryphon of James we also have a keen awareness of books purportedly written by the apostles, which would be, to my eye, another presumption, one which rests upon the existence of earlier gospel materials being circulated. The way in which the secret teaching in most of the above texts is offered is, I suggest, a sign of relative lateness in the gospel tradition.

I also suggest that the converse, the lack of a motif about such secret teachings, is not necessarily useful for relative dating. I doubt that a late text is obliged to tip its cap to secret teachings or to the existence of apostolic books or to anything else in particular; a late text may simply be imitating earlier texts. A text like the gospel of Philip, then, I do not think is touched by my suggestion; it may be early, or it may be late in the line of transmission. Likewise, too, a text like Eugnostos the Blessed. Its counterpart, however, the Sophia of Jesus Christ, would probably be relatively later than Eugnostos, which is the impression that a comparison of the two texts tends to have left, I think, upon most exegetes. Here, for example, is an excerpt from page 4 of the introduction to both texts in volume 3 of The Coptic Gnostic Library (Eug = Eugnostos; SJC = Sophia of Jesus Christ):

Coptic Gnostic Gospels 3, Page 4.png
Coptic Gnostic Gospels 3, Page 4.png (123.67 KiB) Viewed 9705 times

The analogy with the Targum of the book of Psalms, as mentioned above in connection with Psalm 91, would point in the same direction. I would add that, just as it was very tempting (but not necessarily universally so) in antiquity to publish originally anonymous Christian teaching under the name of one of the apostles or other important early figures, so too it was probably very tempting (but not necessarily universally so) to place originally anonymous Gnostic teaching (whether Christian or not) on the lips of Jesus and his apostles or other important early figures. We are looking at two manifestations of the same tendency.

The suggestion I am making is similar to, and also partly inspired by, a discussion by Mark Goodacre:

Mark Goodacre, "Dating the Crucial Sources in Early Christianity," pages 36-38: The more blatant signs, though, of the relative lateness of John and Thomas lie in their attempts at authorial self-representation. Where earlier Gospels like Mark and Matthew are anonymous and avoid attempting to project an authorial presence to lend authority to their work, the author of the Fourth Gospel makes claims to have been present, most notably in 19.35 and of course 21.24, “This is the disciple who testifies to these things and wrote them down (καὶ ὁ γράψας ταῦτα). We know that his testimony is true,” similar in style and literary function to the Incipit of Thomas, “These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down.” In both, the authorial self-representation legitimizes the message of the book in a way absent from the earlier Gospels but found explicitly in later texts like the Apocryphon of James. John’s claim enables the author to establish his Gospel’s authority – he knows that the things he reports are true because he was there. In Thomas, there is a further step: the author was present and, moreover, he was privy not just to the public teaching but also the secret teachings (Incipit, Thomas 13). / There is a trajectory among these early Christian texts, from the absence of authorial self-representation in Mark and Matthew, to hints in Luke and Acts (with the first person found in Luke 1.1-4 as well as in the “we” passages in Acts), to the marked but nevertheless still unnamed authorial presence in John, to the explicit self-representation of Didymos Judas Thomas in its Gospel’s Incipit, a naming that also leads the reader to pay special attention to Thomas 13. The same texts likewise witness to a growing consciousness of predecessor texts, from the πολλοί of Luke’s preface, to the many other books that could fill the world in the last verse of John, to the twelve disciples sitting around writing their books at the Last Supper in the Apocryphon of James.

Goodacre, however, did not cast his net in a very wide arc, limiting his discussion to the four canonical gospels (plus Acts) and the gospel of Thomas, with a single point from the Apocryphon of James thrown in, as well. Also, Goodacre may have been suggesting, at least indirectly, that an absence of authorial self-representation is a positive sign of the text being early, and I would probably demure from that suggestion. Its presence is probably a sign of being late; its absence is probably not a sign of much in either direction. A hopefully helpful insight that I am adding to the mix is that the offering of secret teaching is, in and of itself, a sign that other material, not so secret, has already been published. The secret material is filling in the gaps left by the free and open material, as it were.

I would not press the suggestion in this post so far as to precisely date every single text by the exact degree to which it offers secret teaching; rather, I would suggest merely that the overall trend probably leans in the direction I have outlined.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
perseusomega9

Re: A suggestion concerning secret sayings in gospel texts.

Post by perseusomega9 »

I've heard Goodacre say similar (anonymity earlier, authorial designation late) in his podcast and I agree with your assessment and I remember saying out loud to the radio, "well that's not entirely correct"
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

perseusomega9 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:52 pm I've heard Goodacre say similar (anonymity earlier, authorial designation late) in his podcast and I agree with your assessment and I remember saying out loud to the radio, "well that's not entirely correct"
Thanks! Good to know. :)

I have a table I have been working on which includes the phenomenon of anonymity versus authorial designation. It really should have an additional column which judges whether the purported author of the text is supposed to have been an eyewitness (especially an apostle or immediate follower) or not, but the table does not size well with an extra column, and the phenomenon is easy enough to trace just by the name of the text most of the time, anyway. Also, the other columns (all four that are present) deliberately ignore the title (the sole source for some of the authorial designations) given in the manuscript, looking only to the text itself for clues; this is because the uniformity in Greek of many of the titles ("gospel according to so-and-so") suggests a common origin for them apart from the contents of each individual gospel. Also, for reasons which ought to be clear, most fragmentary gospels are omitted from consideration:

Gospel
Tradent(s) Named
in Text
Allegedly Eyewitness
Testimony in Text
Transmission of
Secret Information
Authorial 1st Person
Claim of Writing
Gospel of Marcion
no
no
no
no
Gospel of Mark
no
no
no
no
Gospel of Matthew
no
no
no
no
Gospel of Philip
no
no
no
no
Sophia of Jesus Christ
no
no
yes
no
Dialogue of the Savior
no
no
yes
no
Gospel of Luke
no
no
no
yes
Gospel of John
no
yes
no
yes
Gospel of Judas
yes
yes
yes
no
Gospel of Mary
yes
yes
yes
no
Epistle of the Apostles
yes
yes
no
yes
Gospel of Peter
yes
yes
no
yes
Apocryphon of James
yes
yes
yes
yes
Apocryphon of John
yes
yes
yes
yes
Book of Thomas the Contender
yes
yes
yes
yes
Gospel of Thomas
yes
yes
yes
yes

The rows are arranged from zero hits to four hits, of course. Also, for blocks of texts which evince identical yes/no patterns, I have ordered them alphabetically by the name of the tradent or author named in the title so as to avoid as much bias as possible in the presentation. That Marcion precedes Mark, for example, is an alphabetical accident; what is important is that Marcion, Mark, Matthew, and Philip all belong to the same portion of the table, since they all score zero hits. It is just a happy coincidence that, for this initial group of four, the names happen to be arranged with the non-eyewitness tradents (Marcion/anonymous and Mark) first and the eyewitness tradents (Matthew and Philip) last.

Finally, the "transmission of secret information" in the third column has to apply to most or all of the text; it cannot be just an isolated feature limited to one part of the text.

I am still very much in the process of working on all of this. Relevant suggestions welcome.

ETA: I left the Gospel of the Ebionites off the table because we know it only from six quotations from Epiphanius, but even in those quotations we can see that columns 1, 2, and 4 probably ought to count as a "yes" for it:

Epiphanius, Panarion 30.13.1-3: 1 But I shall resume the thread of my argument against Ebion — because of the Gospel according to Matthew the course of the discussion obliged me to insert the whole of the knowledge which I had gained. 2 Now in what they call a Gospel according to Matthew, though it is not the entire Gospel but is corrupt and mutilated — and they call this thing Hebrew! — the following passage is found: "There was a certain man named Jesus, and he was about thirty years of age, who chose us. And coming to Capernaum he entered into the house of Simon surnamed Peter, and opened his mouth and said, 3 'Passing beside the Sea of Tiberias I chose John and James, the sons of Zebedee, and Simon and Andrew and <Philip and Bartholomew, James the son of Alphaeus and Thomas, (?)> Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot. You too, Matthew, seated at the receipt of custom, did I call, and you did follow me. I will, then, that you be twelve apostles for a testimony to Israel.'"

So this gospel "according to Matthew" seems to have gone the whole way and internally feigned authorship by Matthew. I would guess that column 3, transmission of secret information, should be a "no," but I cannot be sure, owing to the fragmentary nature of our evidence.

Also, the Gospel of the Savior claims to have been authored by the apostles; it also seems probably to offer up some secret information, but it is too fragmentary to tell for sure.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:27 pm
Gospel
Tradent(s) Named
in Text
Allegedly Eyewitness
Testimony in Text
Transmission of
Secret Information
Authorial 1st Person
Claim of Writing
Gospel of Marcion
no
no
no
no
Gospel of Mark
no
no
no
no
Gospel of Matthew
no
no
no
no
Gospel of Philip
no
no
no
no
Sophia of Jesus Christ
no
no
yes
no
Dialogue of the Savior
no
no
yes
no
Gospel of Luke
no
no
no
yes
Gospel of John
no
yes
no
yes
Gospel of Judas
yes
yes
yes
no
Gospel of Mary
yes
yes
yes
no
Epistle of the Apostles
yes
yes
no
yes
Gospel of Peter
yes
yes
no
yes
Apocryphon of James
yes
yes
yes
yes
Apocryphon of John
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
Gospel of Thomas
yes
yes
yes
yes

Try this thought experiment on for size. Group the above texts according to how many hits they receive on the table:
  1. Gospel of Marcion, Gospel of Mark, Gospel of Matthew, Gospel of Philip (0).
  2. Sophia of Jesus Christ, Dialogue of the Savior, Gospel of Luke (1).
  3. Gospel of John (2).
  4. Gospel of Judas, Gospel of Mary, Epistle of the Apostles, Gospel of Peter (3).
  5. Apocryphon of James, Apocryphon of John, Book of Thomas the Contender, Gospel of Thomas (4).
Ignore the dates for one gospel text vis-à-vis the other texts in the same group, and focus only on the dating of each group relative to the others (in other words, compare Mark to Luke, not to Marcion). How shocking would it be if it were to turn out that the above is the order of the layers in which our extant gospel tradition was penned over time? Which gospel texts would be the most surprising and stand out as not belonging at all to their proposed chronological group?

(This is all heuristic and experimental. Also, it does not in any way account for older materials being contained in newer gospels; only the current editorial form of the gospel is taken into account.)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

The following are the main passages I have used to determine how much authorial representation and commitment to secret teachings each gospel text offers us:

Gospel of Marcion

Tertullian, Against Marcion 4.2.3a: 3a Marcion, on the other hand, you must know, ascribes no author to his Gospel, as if it could not be allowed him to affix a title to that from which it was no crime (in his eyes) to subvert the very body.

Gospel of Mark

None.

Gospel of Matthew

None.

Gospel of Philip

None.

Sophia of Jesus Christ

Sophia of Jesus Christ 0: 0 After he rose from the dead, his twelve disciples and seven women continued to be his followers, and went to Galilee onto the mountain called "Divination and Joy". When they gathered together and were perplexed about the underlying reality of the universe and the plan, and the holy providence, and the power of the authorities, and about everything the Savior is doing with them in the secret of the holy plan, the Savior appeared - not in his previous form, but in the invisible spirit. And his likeness resembles a great angel of light. But his resemblance I must not describe. No mortal flesh could endure it, but only pure, perfect flesh, like that which he taught us about on the mountain called "of the Olives" in Galilee.

Dialogue of the Savior

Dialogue of the Savior 0: 0 The Savior said to his disciples, "Already the time has come, brothers, for us to abandon our labor and stand at rest. For whoever stands at rest will rest forever. And I say to you, be always above [...] time [...] you [...] be afraid of [...] you [...] anger is fearful [...] arouse anger [...] but since you have [...] they accepted these words concerning it with fear and trembling, and it set them up with governors, for from it nothing was forthcoming. But when I came, I opened the path, and I taught them about the passage which they will traverse, the elect and solitary, who have known the Father, having believed the truth and all the praises while you offered praise." .... "And to someone who will not know the root of all things, they remain hidden."

Gospel of Luke

Luke 1.1-4: 1 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word, 3 it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; 4 so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been taught.

Acts 1.1-2: 1 The first account I composed, Theophilus, about all that Jesus began to do and teach, 2 until the day when He was taken up to heaven, after He had by the Holy Spirit given orders to the apostles whom He had chosen.

Gospel of John

John 19.34-35; 20.30-31; 21.24-25: 19.34 But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out. 35 And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you also may believe. .... 20.30 Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name. .... 21.24 This is the disciple who is testifying to these things and wrote these things, and we know that his testimony is true. 25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written.

Gospel of Judas

Gospel of Judas 0: 0 This is the secret message of judgment Jesus spoke with Judas Iscariot over a period of eight days, three days before he celebrated Passover.

Gospel of Mary

Gospel of Mary 10: 10 Peter said to Mary, "Sister, we know that the Savior loved you more than all other women. Tell us the words of the Savior that you remember, the things which you know that we don't because we haven't heard them." Mary responded, "I will teach you about what is hidden from you." And she began to speak these words to them. ....

Epistle of the Apostles

Epistle of the Apostles 1: 1 The book which Jesus Christ revealed unto his disciples: and how that Jesus Christ revealed the book for the company of the apostles, the disciples of Jesus Christ, even the book which is for all men. Simon and Cerinthus, the false apostles, concerning whom it is written that no man shall cleave unto them, for there is in them deceit wherewith they bring men to destruction. (The book has been written) that you may be not flinch or be troubled, and depart not from the word of the Gospel which you have heard. Like as we heard it, we keep it in remembrance and have written it for the whole world. We commend you our sons and our daughters in joy <in the grace of God (?)> in the name of God the Father the Lord of the world, and of Jesus Christ. Let grace be multiplied upon you.

Gospel of Peter

Peter 14.59-60: 59 But we twelve disciples of the Lord were weeping and sorrowful; and each one, sorrowful because of what had come to pass, departed to his home. 60 But I, Simon Peter, and my brother Andrew, having taken our nets, went off to the sea. And there was with us Levi of Alphaeus whom the Lord....

Apocryphon of James

Apocryphon of James 0: 0 You have asked me to send you a secret book revealed to Peter and me by the master, and I could not turn you down, nor could I speak to you, so I have written it in Hebrew and have sent it to you, and to you alone. But since you are a minister of the salvation of the saints, try to be careful not to reveal to many people this book that the savior did not want to reveal even to all of us, his twelve students. Nonetheless, those who will be saved through the faith of this treatise will be blessed. / Ten months ago I sent you another secret book that the savior revealed to me. Think of that book as revealed to me, James. Under the circumstances, however, regard that one as revealed to me, James; but this one.... ...the twelve disciples were all sitting together and recalling what the Savior had said to each one of them, whether in secret or openly, and putting it in books — but I was writing that which was in my book — lo, the Savior appeared, after departing from us while we gazed after him. And five hundred and fifty days since he had risen from the dead, we said to him, "Have you departed and removed yourself from us?" But Jesus said, "No, but I shall go to the place from whence I came. If you wish to come with me, come!"

Apocryphon of John

Apocryphon of John 0: 0 The teaching of the savior, and the revelation of the mysteries and the things hidden in silence, even these things which he taught John, his disciple.

Book of Thomas the Contender 0: 0 The secret sayings that the savior spoke to Judas Thomas which I, even I, Mathaias, wrote down, while I was walking, listening to them speak with one another.

Gospel of Thomas

Thomas 0: 0 These are the secret sayings that the living Jesus spoke and Didymos Judas Thomas recorded.

Gospel of the Savior

Gospel of the Savior 27, 35: 27 The Savior said to us, “O my holy members, my blessed seeds, [rise] and [...] pray.” .... 35 Then before us, the apostles, this world became as darkness.

Traditions of Matthias

Clement of Alexandria, Miscellanies 2.9: 9 .... But the beginning is to marvel at matters, as Plato says in the Theaetetus and Matthias in the traditions, exhorting: Marvel at things present, placing this down as the first degree of the knowledge of the beyond. Which also is written in the gospel according to the Hebrews: He who marveled shall reign, and he who reigned shall rest.

Hippolytus, Refutation of All Heresies 7.8: 8 Basilides, then, and Isidore the legitimate child and disciple of Basilides say that Matthias spoke to them apocryphal words which he had heard from the savior, having been taught in private. We see, therefore, how said Basilides together with Isidore and their entire chorus make a liar, not simply of Matthias alone, but even also of his savior.

Gospel of the Ebionites

Epiphanius, Panarion 30.13.1-3: 1 But I shall resume the thread of my argument against Ebion — because of the Gospel according to Matthew the course of the discussion obliged me to insert the whole of the knowledge which I had gained. 2 Now in what they call a Gospel according to Matthew, though it is not the entire Gospel but is corrupt and mutilated — and they call this thing Hebrew! — the following passage is found: "There was a certain man named Jesus, and he was about thirty years of age, who chose us. And coming to Capernaum he entered into the house of Simon surnamed Peter, and opened his mouth and said, 3 'Passing beside the Sea of Tiberias I chose John and James, the sons of Zebedee, and Simon and Andrew and <Philip and Bartholomew, James the son of Alphaeus and Thomas, (?)> Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot. You too, Matthew, seated at the receipt of custom, did I call, and you did follow me. I will, then, that you be twelve apostles for a testimony to Israel.'"

Infancy Gospel of James

Infancy Gospel of James 24: 24 .... And I, James, that wrote this history in Jerusalem, a commotion having arisen when Herod died, withdrew myself to the wilderness until the commotion in Jerusalem ceased, glorifying the Lord God, who had given me the gift and the wisdom to write this history. And grace shall be with them that fear our Lord Jesus Christ, to whom be glory to ages of ages. Amen.

Infancy Gospel of Thomas

Infancy Gospel of Thomas 1: 1 I, Thomas the Israelite, have deemed it necessary to make known to all the brethren of the heathen the great things which our Lord Jesus Christ did in His childhood, when He dwelt in the body in the city of Nazareth, going in the fifth year of His age.

Gospel of Mani

Mani (fragment): I, Mani, the Apostle of Jesus the Friend, by the will of the Father, the true God, of Him, by whom I have become.... Everything that is and everything that was and will be is by His Power. The blessed ones will receive this message, the wise ones understand it, the strong ones will take on the wisdom of the wise....

Too Fragmentary

Gospel of the Hebrews.
Gospel of the Nazoraeans.
Gospel of the Egyptians.
Egerton Gospel (papyrus Egerton 2 & Köln 255).
Dura Gospel (Aland 0212).
Fayyum Gospel (papyrus Vindobonensis 2325).
Merton Gospel (papyrus Merton 51).
Gospel of Eve.
Gospel of the Twelve.
Gospel of Basilides.

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

What about the Marcosians citing the Book of Daniel as to why they call themselves maskilim or the Greek equivalent? Daniel is a big inspiration for gnosticism.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Which gospel text would this be about?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

It's not. Just a suggestion that Daniel influenced Mark. Sorry
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:54 pmTry this thought experiment on for size. Group the above texts according to how many hits they receive on the table:
  3. Gospel of John (2).
  4. Gospel of Judas, Gospel of Mary, Epistle of the Apostles, Gospel of Peter (3).
  5. Apocryphon of James, Apocryphon of John, Book of Thomas the Contender, Gospel of Thomas (4).
Ignore the dates for one gospel text vis-à-vis the other texts in the same group, and focus only on the dating of each group relative to the others (in other words, compare Mark to Luke, not to Marcion). How shocking would it be if it were to turn out that the above is the order of the layers in which our extant gospel tradition was penned over time? Which gospel texts would be the most surprising and stand out as not belonging at all to their proposed chronological group?

(This is all heuristic and experimental. Also, it does not in any way account for older materials being contained in newer gospels; only the current editorial form of the gospel is taken into account.)
If I make a few educated guesses about some other texts, and add in the infancy gospels (which I simply forgot to include the first time), the table comes out like so:

Gospel
Tradent(s) Named
in Text
Allegedly Eyewitness
Testimony in Text
Transmission of
Secret Information
Authorial
Claim of Writing
Gospel of Marcion
no
no
no
no
Gospel of Mark
no
no
no
no
Gospel of Matthew
no
no
no
no
Gospel of Philip
no
no
no
no
Sophia of Jesus Christ
no
no
yes
no
Dialogue of the Savior
no
no
yes
no
Gospel of Luke
no
no
no
yes
Gospel of John
no
yes
no
yes
Gospel of Judas
yes
yes
yes
no
Gospel of Mary
yes
yes
yes
no
Epistle of the Apostles
yes
yes
no
yes
Gospel of the Ebionites
yes
yes
no
yes
Infancy Gospel of James
yes
yes
no
yes
Gospel of Peter
yes
yes
no
yes
Infancy Gospel of Thomas
yes
yes
no
yes
Apocryphon of James
yes
yes
yes
yes
Apocryphon of John
yes
yes
yes
yes
Traditions of Matthias
yes
yes
yes
yes
Gospel of the Savior
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
Gospel of Thomas
yes
yes
yes
yes

Too fragmentary to tell for sure:
  • Gospel of the Hebrews.
  • Gospel of the Nazoraeans.
  • Gospel of the Egyptians.
  • Egerton Gospel (papyrus Egerton 2 & Köln 255).
  • Dura Gospel (Aland 0212).
  • Fayyum Gospel (papyrus Vindobonensis 2325).
  • Merton Gospel (papyrus Merton 51).
  • Gospel of Mani.
  • Gospel of Eve.
  • Gospel of the Twelve.
  • Gospel of Basilides.
The list, therefore, comes out like this:
  3. Gospel of John (2).
  4. Gospel of Judas, Gospel of Mary, Epistle of the Apostles, Gospel of the Ebionites, Infancy Gospel of James, Gospel of Peter, Infancy Gospel of Thomas (3).
  5. Apocryphon of James, Apocryphon of John, Traditions of Matthias, Gospel of the Savior, Book of Thomas the Contender, Gospel of Thomas (4).
How offensive would this overall chronology be to our sensibilities?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:15 pmThe list, therefore, comes out like this:
  3. Gospel of John (2).
  4. Gospel of Judas, Gospel of Mary, Epistle of the Apostles, Gospel of the Ebionites, Infancy Gospel of James, Gospel of Peter, Infancy Gospel of Thomas (3).
  5. Apocryphon of James, Apocryphon of John, Traditions of Matthias, Gospel of the Savior, Book of Thomas the Contender, Gospel of Thomas (4).
I have written much about the generational prophecy before, and the pattern I see in its appearance throughout our materials seems to my eye to fit the above grouping of texts, at least so far as a handful of them might be concerned. Essentially, Jesus promises his disciples that he will return with the lifetimes of at least some of them, but this prediction is muted or mitigated to different degrees in our extant texts (not all of them gospels).

I believe that some of the Pauline epistles show the effects of this generational prophecy without mitigation; that is, Paul expects, when the Lord comes, that some of his contemporaries would be dead, and others still alive. He seems to waver a bit on which group he thinks he will be in when the time comes.

The synoptic gospels give us the generational prophecy in very clear terms, and more than once per text, but I have argued that at least some of the instances seem to have been mitigated a bit. (Marcion may be relevant here, but it is a special case, due to our sources for it, and too much to go into here and now.) The prediction concerning "some standing here" has been located immediately before the Transfiguration, for example, possibly suggesting (to Christian exegetes both ancient and modern) that this event was all that Jesus had in mind with that prediction. The prediction concerning "this generation" has been modified by the motif of the unknown hour, an opportunity which some Christians (both ancient and modern) have seized upon, preferring by far to cite the latter passages rather than the former. Yet only Luke mutes the same basic prediction before the high priest; Matthew and Mark leave it as it stands. Luke also introduces the concept of "the time of the gentiles" into his version of Olivet, thus apparently postponing the coming of the Son of Man until after they have been fulfilled. (Even if I am wrong that Matthew and Mark mitigate the prophecy at least a little bit, they still stand at the head of the list of gospel texts. The only issue would be whether they are to be heuristically dated to the same group as the Pauline epistles or not.)

Next up is John, whose "beloved disciple" has evidently died by the time chapter 21 is penned. Elsewhere John lacks a specific generational prophecy, and in this chapter he affirms solidly that Jesus did not state that the beloved disciple, at any rate, would remain until the blessed event. Likewise, 2 Peter interprets a day as a thousand years, thus postponing the event indefinitely. And the Epistle of the Apostles predicts the coming 120 years (in the Coptic) or 150 years (in the Ethiopic) after Jesus' lifetime; the generational prophecy is simply dead by this point.

Here are the most relevant passages:

No Mitigation

1 Corinthians 15.51-52: 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.

1 Thessalonians 4.16-17: 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord.

2 Corinthians 4.14: 14 ...knowing that He who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and will present us with you.

Some Mitigation

1 (Mitigated by the Transfiguration Which Immediately Follows)

Matthew 16.28: 28 "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

Mark 9.1: 1 And Jesus was saying to them, "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God after it has come with power."

Luke 9.27: 27 "But I say to you truthfully, there are some of those standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God."

2 (Mitigated by the Motif of the Unknown Hour Which Immediately Follows)

Matthew 24.34-35: 34 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

Mark 13.30-31: 30 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away."

3 (Mitigated by the Plural "You," Which Might Be Taken to Mean Priests or Even Jews in General)

Matthew 26.64: 64 Jesus says to him, "You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Mark 14.62: 62 And Jesus said, "I am; and you shall see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven."

Much Mitigation

Luke 21.24b, 32-33: 24b And Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled. 32 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away."

Luke 22.67b-69: 67b But He said to them, "If I tell you, you will not believe; 68 and if I ask a question, you will not answer. 69 But from now on the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the power of God."

Full Mitigation

John 21.21-23: 21 So Peter seeing him said to Jesus, "Lord, and what about this man?" 22 Jesus said to him, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!" 23 Therefore this saying went out among the brethren that that disciple would not die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but only, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you?"

2 Peter 3.3-9: 3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, 4 and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation." 5 For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6 through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water. 7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. 8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

Epistle of the Apostles 16-17a: 16 Then said we to him, "Lord, that which thou hast revealed unto us is great. Wilt thou come in the power of any creature or in an appearance of any kind?" He answered and said unto us, "Verily I say unto you, I shall come like the sun when it is risen, and my brightness will be seven times the brightness thereof! The wings of the clouds shall bear me in brightness, and the sign of the cross shall go before me, and I shall come upon earth to judge the quick and the dead." 17a We said unto him, "Lord, after how many years shall this come to pass?" He said unto us, "When the hundredth part and the twentieth part is fulfilled, between the Pentecost and the feast of unleavened bread, then shall the coming of my Father be" [thus reads the Coptic, but the Ethiopic has, "When a hundred and fifty years are past, in the days of the feast of Passover and Pentecost"].

Thus, of the gospel texts involved, Matthew and Mark stand in a first rank, Luke in a second, John in a third, and the Epistle of the Apostles either alongside John or in a fourth (because actually tallying the years is more specific than merely nullifying an interpretation of the beloved disciple's death). This procession agrees very well with the relevant texts on my list:
  3. Gospel of John (2).
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ