Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 am
- Paul's teaching is almost solely on the importance of baptism
- John the Baptist and Jesus are the same figure
- Secret Mark has baptism as the initiation ritual for the higher mysteries
- The use of ships and anchors in early Christian symbolism, as well as Marcion's role as a "mariner", to emphasize the importance of water in the Gospels (baptism, Sea of Galilee, turning water into wine, sweating blood, water and blood gushing forth from Jesus, Paul's shipwreck, etc.)
- Gospels indicative of certain primer features are known to have existed, (infancy, sayings, crucifixion, descent into hell, etc.) yet a Gospel about baptism is mysterious absent
- Baptism is intrinsically tied to the deluge of Genesis 7-8 which begins a new dispensation