For the WCG'ers...

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

For the WCG'ers...

Post by Charles Wilson »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSN-vyX8bR8&t=1s

This is a 9 part series on "What happened to the WCG?"

Eventually, this guy tells us: The WCG under the Leadership of...he won't even mention his name but its the old guy...stopped preaching "Jesus" and instead focused on the Good News of the WOOORLD (GOVERNMENT) Tomorrow. By abandoning Jesus and focusing on the Coming Government, the WCG came under a Curse and has been dispersed.

Ya' know somethin' Beavis? Eschewing the Metaphysics of it all, there is something to what this guy says. I believe that you can show that the Jesus character was intentionally created to follow John - though not in a Priestly manner - but in a savior/god Transcendent manner. As such, the focus of the New Religion SHOULD probably be on the one thing the New Church knew about: The created character "Jesus". God's Government will come when it gets here.

There's a recent Thread concerning the Greek Ordering of the Royal Court (Implying that the Greek Idea was the correct one) and if there's one thing you might learn from this is that there are Problems galore with the Greek Model. Also, the Priestly Apparatus was given as a Non-Human Sacrifice Model and it was supposed to last a long, long time. "Oh, those Greekies. Can't leave well enough alone."

This guy is no Garner Ted Armstrong but he is thoughtful in that WCG sorta' way. (BTW, the GTA Ministries offshoot Group that ran the old GTA shows on YouTube has taken down "God' Law #5" which showed Garner Ted at his best).

So, sit back and relax and recall the days of yesteryear...

CW
Stuart

Re: For the WCG'ers...

Post by Stuart »

This is on the wrong board, it has nothing to do with Christian texts. Mods move it to some political Board
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Stuart wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:53 pmThis is on the wrong board, it has nothing to do with Christian texts. Mods move it to some political Board
Sorry, Stuart. It has everything to do with "Christian Texts" and their interpretations. The Worldwide Church of God was an important part of, especially, the American Christian Scene in the 1960s and 1970s. I've got the literature from then to prove it.

The WCG had Doctrine, a School for training future Pastors, a network for the Faithful and plenty of pamphlets (Free!) to any who asked.

Garner Ted Armstrong used to rail against "Churchianity". Over and over he would argue against what passed for Christian Doctrine and he was very charismatic and convincing to many. I mentioned that the group which has the rights to GTA's Broadcasts had pulled "God's Law #5" from YouTube. Perhaps YouTube took it down. Either way, too bad. GTA confronted an idea that he saw as a False Doctrine:

The idea was in a pamphlet and the answer the pamphlet's author gave to the question of "What good deed must I do to obtain Eternal Life?" was "Nothing". Something like, "Eternal Life is Free for the offering and you need do nothing to get it. NOTHING!" GTA quickly went to the very verses the pamphlet quoted and turned them against the pamphlet's author. The question had everything to do with "Christian Texts", the very Core Meaning of "Christian Texts":

Matthew 19: 16 - 17 (RSV):

[16] And behold, one came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?"
[17] And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments."

"If you would enter life, keep the Commandments."

Stuart, if this is born of a negative animus to me, I ask that you look beyond that. The purpose of the Post is to show that, given recent History, there are those who are motivated to find a reason in the Scriptures as to WHY the WCG broke up and splintered as it did. There will no doubt be a church that will claim to be the successor to that self-proclaimed One-True-Church. It will use the same or similar Doctrine to show that it is carrying on as "...the little flock".

"Which day is the Christian Sabbath?". That may appear to be a trivial question to many but it is as important a question as can be asked for others. It is not a "Political" question at all.

Which is why Dr. Slough put up those 9 little episodes. As a Believer, he has to, in his mind, find out why the WCG disintegrated. It wasn't Political.

Best to you,

CW
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

No your definition is too broad. You are attempting to take on a modern theology and modern teaching. And there are lots of those, and they have no connection to the point of this board which is early texts and the ancient interpretations and how they came about.

In effect your topic here is modern religious politics. And this board is not about modern religious politics. The mods should move this thread to an appropriate board.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

What harm is Wilson's post doing here, Stuart? And can something from the 60s and 70s really be called "modern theology" and "modern teaching"? I think you're overreacting.

I mean, is not discussion of The Watchtower Society and Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormonism not allowed on this board? even though they're relatively recent in the history of Christianity? Where do you draw the line between "early texts and the ancient interpretations" and "modern theology and modern teaching"? And if anything, is it not the role of historians to study the effects as well as the cause of historical events? Thus studying what Christianity is today is perfectly integral to studying what Christianity was and how it emerged.

Evolution doesn't stop with our recent ancestors, Stuart. It is a constant and ceaseless march towards the future, and it's the same with Christianity.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

I could be all wet here, but I believe that no less than Gregory Doudna hails from the 'WCG' movement. And graduated from their Ambassador College.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »