Sources for Lukuas-Andreas

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Sources for Lukuas-Andreas

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Cassius Dio, Roman History, bk LXVIII:

Meanwhile the Jews in the region of Cyrene had put a certain Andreas at their head, and were destroying both the Romans and the Greeks. They would eat the flesh of their victims, make belts for themselves of their entrails, anoint themselves with their blood and wear their skins for clothing; many they sawed in two, from the head downwards; 2 others they gave to wild beasts, and still others they forced to fight as gladiators. In all two hundred and twenty thousand p423 persons perished. In Egypt, too, they perpetrated many similar outrages, and in Cyprus, under the leadership of a certain Artemion. There, also, two hundred and forty thousand perished, 3 and for this reason no Jew may set foot on that island, but even if one of them is driven upon its shores by a storm he is put to death. Among others who subdued the Jews was Lusius, who was sent by Trajan.

Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History, bk IV:

The teaching and the Church of our Saviour flourished greatly and made progress from day to day; but the calamities of the Jews increased, and they underwent a constant succession of evils. In the eighteenth year of Trajan's reign there was another disturbance of the Jews, through which a great multitude of them perished.

2. For in Alexandria and in the rest of Egypt, and also in Cyrene, as if incited by some terrible and factious spirit, they rushed into seditious measures against their fellow-inhabitants, the Greeks. The insurrection increased greatly, and in the following year, while Lupus was governor of all Egypt, it developed into a war of no mean magnitude.

3. In the first attack it happened that they were victorious over the Greeks, who fled to Alexandria and imprisoned and slew the Jews that were in the city. But the Jews of Cyrene, although deprived of their aid, continued to plunder the land of Egypt and to devastate its districts, under the leadership of Lucuas. Against them the emperor sent Marcius Turbo with a foot and naval force and also with a force of cavalry.

4. He carried on the war against them for a long time and fought many battles, and slew many thousands of Jews, not only of those of Cyrene, but also of those who dwelt in Egypt and had come to the assistance of their king Lucuas.

5. But the emperor, fearing that the Jews in Mesopotamia would also make an attack upon the inhabitants of that country, commanded Lucius Quintus to clear the province of them. And he having marched against them slew a great multitude of those that dwelt there; and in consequence of his success he was made governor of Judea by the emperor. These events are recorded also in these very words by the Greek historians that have written accounts of those times.

[It has been suggested by a few historians that the figure of Anthimos in the 3rd century recension of the Acta Pauli et Antonini is a reference to Lukuas-Andreas. The discrepancy between Cassius Dio and Eusebius over the name is possibly due to the fact that he likely had a double name, both mysteriously Greek, making the equally Greek "Anthimos" a possible memory of the messianic leader. My opinion is that his Jewish name was Simeon.]

Gregory Bar Hebraeus, Chronography:

After Nerva Caesar, Trajan Caesar [reigned] nineteen years. He stirred up the persecution of the Christians in which Simon, the son of Cleophas
of Jerusalem, and John the Apostle, and Ignatius of Antioch were crowned (i.e. suffered martyrdom), and Plinius Pecundus, the Eparch,
killed many Christians. And when he saw how many they were, he was greatly troubled, and he wrote to Trajan, saying, ‘No other offence
can be urged against the Christians except that they do not wish to offer sacrifice to idols; they abhor adultery and murder and every disgraceful act’. And when Caesar learned these things he commanded that they should not be searched for, but that whenever any one of them was discovered he should be proceeded against until he offered sacrifice. And in the tenth year of Trajan, Galen the physician was born, and at the end of his reign the Jews who were in Cyprus uprooted the city of Salomon! (Aalamina), and slew the Greeks (Yawnaye) who were therein. And the Jews also who were in Lybia stirred up to revolt the Greeks who were therein, and thus also did the Jews who were in Cyrenaica, and in Thebes (Thebaid?), and in Alexandria and in Beth Nahrin (Mesopotamia). And the Jews who were in Egypt rebelled, and set up for themselves a king whose name was Lumpis, and he governed them and came to Judea. Now the Jews conquered in every place. And Basilides, the head of the heresy of the Gnostics, that is to say, the worshipers of the serpent, became celebrated.

Michael the Syrian, The Chronicle:

In this period the Jews in Egypt rebelled and made [a man] named Lysias (Lumbas) their king. He took the Jews and went to Jerusalem. Then Trajan sent Lucius who destroyed myriads of them. In these time the Jews of Cyprus fought against [gl 15] the city of Salamis. Having taken the city, they killed the Greeks in it. Similarly, the Jews in Libya fought and warred with the Greeks. The Greeks in Alexandria and in Cyrene started a war and were destroyed by them. In this period the philosopher Secundus the Silent appeared. After Trajan, Hadrian reigned for 21 years.

In this period the Jews of Egypt rebelled, made Lysias (Lumasos) king, and went to Jerusalem. Trajan sent and destroyed them and remained king over the Jews.

Last edited by Joseph D. L. on Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph D. L.

Re: Sources for Lukuas-Andreas

Post by Joseph D. L. »

It still doesn't make sense why he would not be mentioned in the Talmud, unless he was known by another name by the rabbis. Who knows?
Joseph D. L.

Circumstantial evidence that Lukuas was crucified/associated with the cross

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Unlike John the Weaver, who was immolated, and Simon bar Kochba, who was beheaded, the fate of Lukuas-Andreas is not known by any of the extant sources of his brief career as the rabble rousing would be messiah.

Crucifixion seems like an easy answer, though it is not at all forthcoming. When he was captured--if he was captured--he would more likely than not have been crucified as an example of what happens for warring with the state.

There might be circumstantial evidence for believing Lukuas was associated with the cross. Three in fact.

The first is Acta Pauli et Antonini. Though I haven't been able to read the full text itself (all online searches have yielded no results yet), what I have read of it is from Andrew John Harker's work here: https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/files/ ... 369263.pdf, as well as various books on google books. The Acta recounts an event in Alexandria either during or shortly after the revolt in which Greeks and Samaritans alike paraded an effigy mocking the Jewish King in a manner reminiscent of Philo's account of Carabas in his Flaccus. The effigy itself would be set up on a stave, in a similar fashion of the Dionysian idol, or even the wax effigy of Julius Caesar at his funeral, before the wily crowd. On this occasion the crowd became so rambunctious that Hadrian ordered its cessation.

The second is the Roman victory sign, the tropaion. These trophies would be made from a tree, or a makeshift pole when one wasn't available, and the spoils of the enemy would be placed on it. However, sometimes the victims--the leading enemy of the battle--would himself sometimes be placed on the trapaion as a faux crucifixion: a final sign of their humiliation.

Image Image

Defeated enemies tied and bound to the tropaion

Lukuas, obviously an enemy of Rome, would no doubt be associated with the tropaion upon his defeat in battle, his equipment paraded around by the victorious army on the war trophy.

The third, and probably the most circumstantial, is Revelation 11:1-14:

Then I was given a measuring rod like a staff, and I was told, “Rise and measure the temple of God and the altar and those who worship there, but do not measure the court outside the temple; leave that out, for it is given over to the nations, and they will trample the holy city for forty-two months. And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.”

These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth. And if anyone would harm them, fire pours from their mouth and consumes their foes. If anyone would harm them, this is how he is doomed to be killed. They have the power to shut the sky, that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague, as often as they desire. And when they have finished their testimony, the beast that rises from the bottomless pit will make war on them and conquer them and kill them, and their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city that symbolically is called Sodom and Egypt, where their Lord was crucified. For three and a half days some from the peoples and tribes and languages and nations will gaze at their dead bodies and refuse to let them be placed in a tomb, and those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them and make merry and exchange presents, because these two prophets had been a torment to those who dwell on the earth. But after the three and a half days a breath of life from God entered them, and they stood up on their feet, and great fear fell on those who saw them. Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here!” And they went up to heaven in a cloud, and their enemies watched them. And at that hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell. Seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.

The second woe has passed; behold, the third woe is soon to come.

As I have said in previous posts, my opinion is that chapter 11 of Revelation is an eschatological depiction of the Kitos war, and the death's of Julian Alexander and Pappus, who were followers of Lukuas, here written of as being their crucified Lord.

As said, this is the most circumstantial and is dependent upon a very specific interpretation of the text. So just for what it's worth...

So those are the three best evidences for a possible association between Lukuas and the cross.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Circumstantial evidence that Lukuas was crucified/associated with the cross

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:46 pm...Acta Pauli et Antonini. Though I haven't been able to read the full text itself (all online searches have yielded no results yet)....
According to the Corpus Papyrorum Judaicarum, volume 2, there are three fragments of the Acta Pauli et Antonini, two of which comprise 158a and the other of which is designated 158b. Here is the translation of those fragments as supplied in that volume:

CPJ II 158a (two fragments):

Col. i. Paulus (spoke) about the king, how they brought him
forth and (mocked him ?); and Theon read the edict of Lupus ordering them to
lead him forth for Lupus to make fun of the king of the scene and the mime.
After we had thus (testified ?), the emperor took occasion to remark to Paulus
and our people as follows: 'During such disturbances . . . during the Dacian
war. . . .' The Jews . . . impious . . .

Col. ii. Caesar answered the Jews: 'I learned. . . .'
The Jews: 'They seized them from the prison and . . . wounded them.'
Caesar: 'I have investigated all these matters (?), and not (all?) the Alexandrians
but only those who are responsible should be prosecuted. . .

Col. iii. '. . . so that if some were to be exiled from Alexandria, they were
none the less not seized by us, as they allege, but by them, and this occasioned
a false accusation against us. Now all (the slaves) who had fled to their
masters intending to secure complete safety were brought to justice by them and
punished.'
The Jews: 'Sir, they are lying: they do not know how many men there were.'

[Translation for columns iv-v not given; both columns look pretty unreadable to me in any sense that would offer narrative continuity. — Ben.]

Cols.*vi-vii. Paulus: 'My only concern is for the grave in Alexandria which
I expect to have. Advancing as I am towards this, I shall have no fear in telling
you the truth. Listen to me then, Caesar, as to one who may not live beyond the
morrow.'
Antoninus: 'My Lord Caesar, I swear by your genius he speaks the truth as
one who may not live another day. For when we were in such pressing circumstances
and so many letters had been sent you saying that (the prefect) had
ordered the impious Jews to transfer their residence to a place from which they
could easily attack and ravage our well-named city—if not a line on this matter
fell into your beneficent hands, then the reason for your august words is clear.
It is obvious that this has been perpetrated against you, to prevent you from
having any evidence of the woes that have befallen us.'
Caesar: 'Let Paulus go ; but have Antoninus bound. . . .'

CPJ II 158b (one fragment):

The Jews: 'They seized them from the prison and . . . wounded
them.'
Caesar: 'I have investigated all these matters (?), and not (all?) the Alexandrians
but only those who are responsible should be prosecuted . . .'
Antoninus (?): 'Emperor, Alexandrians did not . . . many were condemned,
sixty Alexandrians and their slaves, and the Alexandrians were exiled and their
slaves beheaded, with no one . . . or being sent forth with the lamentations that
are permitted to all men, so that if some were to be exiled from Alexandria,
they were none the less not seized by us, as they allege, but b y them, and this
occasioned a false accusation against us. Now all (the slaves) who had fled to
their masters intending to secure complete safety were brought to justice by
them and punished.'

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Thanks Ben. I always appreciate your posts and the efforts you put into them.

Would you believe I actually have all three volumes of the Corpus Papyrorum Judaicarum, although I have only read the first one. Just got tired of reading about legal disputes and divorces.

Plus information about Lukuas is in the first volume, so I didn't see a point in reading the other two. I guess... I should have... :facepalm:
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Yeah, believe it or not.

Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:59 pm Thanks Ben. I always appreciate your posts and the efforts you put into them.

Would you believe I actually have all three volumes of the Corpus Papyrorum Judaicarum, although I have only read the first one. Just got tired of reading about legal disputes and divorces.

Plus information about Lukuas is in the first volume, so I didn't see a point in reading the other two. I guess... I should have... :facepalm:
No problem.

(And who just sits down and reads the CPJ straight through? Goodness. I might lightly skim these kinds of heavy duty reference volumes to see if there is anything of immediate interest, but then I put them away until a footnote refers me back to them sometime.)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:29 pm
(And who just sits down and reads the CPJ straight through? Goodness. I might lightly skim these kinds of heavy duty reference volumes to see if there is anything of immediate interest, but then I put them away until a footnote refers me back to them sometime.)
Well I don't have anything else to do. It's not like I have a wife or a girlfriend to talk to, have fun with, see movies with, go out with...

Man I'm so alone. For real. I'm not even joking...

... Plus I wanted to see if there were any hidden details that might be a clue as to Lukuas's movements during the war. No such luck I'm afraid.

I try to read every book I buy cover to cover at least once. I feel pretty bad about myself if I don't. (Still haven't Ehrman's Jesus Before the Gospels though).
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Not missing much, i have a wife and still devote too much time to this strange hobby
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

perseusomega9 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:20 am Not missing much, i have a wife and still devote too much time to this strange hobby
Well, then, we should see more posts from you....
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ