Eyewitnesses to Christian History

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Eyewitnesses to Christian History

Post by Secret Alias »

I am trying to make a list of actual eyewitnesses to Christians and Christian events. Not literary records of eyewitnesses. So for instance:

1. Irenaeus says he saw Florinus in the royal court of Polycarp. AH 3.3.4 = παῖς AH 5.20.5, 6

But not Irenaeus saying Polycarp rejected Marcion.
Last edited by Secret Alias on Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Re: Eyewitnesses to Christian History

Post by Secret Alias »

2. Irenaeus says "I am resident among the Keltae (or Delphians) and am accustomed for the most part to use a barbarous dialect, any display of rhetoric, which I have never learned, or any excellence of composition, which I have never practised, or any beauty and persuasiveness of style, to which I make no pretensions."
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Justin Martyr, in 1 Apology 67.1-7, runs through a typical Sunday meeting of Christians in the first person plural.

The Martyrdom of Polycarp claims to be a first person account by representatives of the church of Smyrna.

How far do you want to go with claims like that? What is the line between an event having probably been witnessed and an event having probably been invented? Peter 14.60 has the author, "Peter," claiming in first person to have participated in a fishing expedition with Andrew and Levi....
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

That's a good question. I guess I was looking for things that were actually seen by the person rather than things which were said to be seen by someone.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Would Nicholas of Damascus count?