Isn't he the "son of Mary", a code-word for Mandeans?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Isn't he the "son of Mary", a code-word for Mandeans?

Post by Giuseppe »

Note that monogenes in proto-John is a polemical term against Jesus as "son of Mary".

It means that Jesus is the son only of God, and of God only.

The polemic is against who accuses that Jesus is son also of a woman, Mary, or, more probably the Woman sun-dressed of Revelation.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

The problem between the Miriai of Mandeans and the Woman of Revelation is evident:
  • the Miriai of Mandeans hates YHWH as all the Mandeans.
  • the Woman of Revelation adores YHWH.
But Marcionites probably hated both the women:
  • they hated Miriai of Mandeanism just as they hated John the Baptist
  • they hated the Woman of Revelation.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Note that the sin against the Holy Spirit was the great sin of the Mandeans: they hated the holy spirit even more than YHWH.

Hence the Gospel Jesus has the Mandeans as polemical target, when he is made to say that the sin against the holy spirit can't be never forgiven, never!
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

The great problem of the Mandeans is that
  • they were enemies of Marcion (who never loved John the Baptist)
  • but they were also - with Marcion - enemies of YHWH.
Of the kind: the enemy of my enemy is my enemy, also.

Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

You are insane. You live in a world wholly of your own creation.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

The irony can't be unidirectional, sorry. You can't call me "stupid" (=ironically) and in the same thread call me "insane" (=seriously), only because I am searching for clues of intra-Christian sectarian rivalry in Gospel expressions as "Isn't he the son of Mary?"
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Searching or inventing?
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

davidmartin wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:27 ami not read any Mandean writing that calls out YHWH only Jesus and a spirit called Ruha. Ruha i've seen mentioned but not YHWH
Well, as you probably know, Ruha is just a transliteration of the Hebrew/Aramaic word for "spirit." It is a feminine noun, which is how we get lines such as this one:

Gospel of the Hebrews 2: 2 [The Savior himself said,] “Just now my mother, the Holy Spirit, took me by one of my hairs and bore me up to Tabor, the great mountain.” ....

So far so good, but I have a wild thought and wonder what you might think of it.

What if this negative assessment of Ruha is a negative reaction to the notion of latter day Jewish and Christian prophets speaking by the Spirit? In other words, what if the Mandaeans once shared a religious culture with people who eventually started speaking in the spirit?

Odes of Solomon 16.5-7: 5-7 I will open my mouth, and His Spirit will speak through me the glory of the Lord and His beauty, the work of His hands, and the labor of His fingers, for the multitude of His mercies and the strength of His Word.

But the Mandaeans preferred to stick with traditional rites and rituals, and to them Ruha (= the Spirit) became synonymous with crazy Jewish and Christian (and other?) prophets associated with up and coming movements of which the Mandaeans did not approve. Is there any possibility in that direction?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ben is reluctant to take the extreme consequence: if the Mandeans rejected the Spirit of God, then they rejected the God of which that spirit comes from. They rejected YHWH as false god who sent an evil spirit.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:51 am
Lindzbarski says the contrary, sorry.
Your debate with another board member has almost allowed you to change the subject. Your citation of Lindzbarski DOES NOT support your interpretation. What he says in French is:

1. Miriai MIGHT come from Mary (Maria est peut-être le même nom que Miriaï
2. Miriai is used by the Mandaeans to designate/denote the sect of John the Baptist (par lequel les Mandéens désignent la secte de Jean-Baptiste)

(1) is only a maybe = 'peut-etre'. (2) is determined to be a certainty. But even with that you can't go from that to what you propose. Bye.

What Lidzbarski in fact said is

"The following section contains two pieces about Mirjai. The first tells that Mirjai, a virgin from a royal family, accidentally came to the temple of the Mandaeans, there she got to know their faith and joined them." p. 123, lines 16-19

"Mirjai is the kusta, Mirjai is the vine to which the believers should cling. It is undoubtedly originally Mary, the mother of Jesus." (p. 125, lines 29-31)

In one story the mother of Mirjai said to her (p. 124, last line, - p. 125, lines 1-7):
Didn't you, my daughter Mirjai, hear what the Jews say about you? The Jews say: ... She has hatred for Judaism and love for Nazarism. ... On the Sabbath she does work, on Sunday she keeps her hands still. Mirjai instantly rejected the law that the Seven bound in Jerusalem.