The Independent Exorcist in Mark based on Marcion's story of John's opposition to Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

The Independent Exorcist in Mark based on Marcion's story of John's opposition to Jesus

Post by Giuseppe »

Mark 9:38-41 McnCommentary

“Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop,
because he was not one of us.”

Do not stop him,” Jesus said.
“For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,
for whoever is not against us is for us.

Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name
because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

But John was alarmed to hear about the works of Christ as if they were the works of another God.

In this turmoil, he made ask to Christ: "Are you the one who is to come or should we expect another?"
"Happy", says Christ, "is he who is not scandalized because of me"
And as all were running into the wilderness to see John instead of Christ, he said:
"Who did you go to see in the wilderness?
"This is he of whom it is written: Behold, I send my messenger before your face, that he may prepare your way.

"John is certainly the greatest among all who are born of a woman, but he is more little than the least in the kingdom of God."

• In Marcion, John the Baptist is who does opposition against the alien intruder
  • in Mark, John the Pillar is who does opposition against the alien intruder
  • in Marcion, as answer, Jesus praises who accepts him
  • in Mark, as answer, Jesus praises who accepts him
  • in Marcion, Jesus would like to stop who goes to find John in the wilderness
  • in Mark, Jesus would like not stop the independent exorcist
  • in Marcion, the "least one", i.e. Paul, is greater than John the Baptist
  • in Mark, the independent exorcist, i.e. Paul, is greater than John the Pillar

Corollary:

is John the Baptist simply a literary clone of John the Pillar ?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.