SACT: Matthew wrote Luke to support his own story

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: SACT: Matthew wrote Luke to support his own story

Post by Ben C. Smith »

mlinssen wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:02 am
Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:43 pm
Whether such a pun works in the Coptic I cannot say. But that is not how the cognate accusative works in Greek. Leviticus 23.32: σαββατιεῖτε τὰ σάββατα ὑμῶν = "keep your Sabbaths." Justin Martyr, Dialogue 12.3: καὶ σεσαββάτικε τὰ τρυφερὰ καὶ ἀληθινὰ σάββατα τοῦ θεοῦ = "and has kept the sweet and true Sabbaths of God." Thomas 27.2: σαββατίσητε τὸ σάββατον = "keep the Sabbath." Origen, Commentary on Matthew 12.36: καινὸν σαββατιεῖ σάββατον = "keep a new Sabbath."
0) the Hebrew Leviticus says something quite differently: https://biblehub.com/text/leviticus/23-32.htm. My Hebrew is non existent so unfortunately I can't verify
The Hebrew has a cognate accusative, too, which is probably why the Greek translated it as a cognate accusative.

Brown-Driver-Briggs:

[שָׁבַת] verb denominative keep, observe (sabbath); —

Qal, with accusative of cognate meaning; Perfect 3 feminine singular וְשָֽׁבְתָה הָאָרֶץ ׳שַׁבָּת לי Leviticus 25:2; 2 masculine plural מֵעֶרֶב עַדעֶֿרֶב תִּשְׁבְּתוּ שַׁבַּתְּכֶ֑ם Leviticus 23:32 (P).

[Link.]

1) the cognate accusative merely enables transitive use of an intransitive verb by introducing an object, it says nothing about semantics. It is evident that our biblical buddies limit themselves to a very narrow scope, I'd think.
I am not sure what you are getting at. The Greek semantics are clear, and they agree with the Hebrew.
I can say make the Ben (into) Bens and that wouldn't imply any specific meaning such as you cite above
True. Also, "make" and "Bens" are not cognates. Rather, this is an accusative complement construction.
the Coptic doesn't have a verb Sabbathise, it says "make the Sabbath Sabbaths", singular and plural. Use my translation for an easy single-click entry into the dictionary
That agrees with the impression I got from the Coptic. Whereas the Greek uses a cognate accusative construction, the Coptic appears to use an accusative complement.
mlinssen

Re: SACT: Matthew wrote Luke to support his own story

Post by mlinssen »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:57 am
mlinssen wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:02 am
Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:43 pm
Whether such a pun works in the Coptic I cannot say. But that is not how the cognate accusative works in Greek. Leviticus 23.32: σαββατιεῖτε τὰ σάββατα ὑμῶν = "keep your Sabbaths." Justin Martyr, Dialogue 12.3: καὶ σεσαββάτικε τὰ τρυφερὰ καὶ ἀληθινὰ σάββατα τοῦ θεοῦ = "and has kept the sweet and true Sabbaths of God." Thomas 27.2: σαββατίσητε τὸ σάββατον = "keep the Sabbath." Origen, Commentary on Matthew 12.36: καινὸν σαββατιεῖ σάββατον = "keep a new Sabbath."
0) the Hebrew Leviticus says something quite differently: https://biblehub.com/text/leviticus/23-32.htm. My Hebrew is non existent so unfortunately I can't verify
The Hebrew has a cognate accusative, too, which is probably why the Greek translated it as a cognate accusative.

Brown-Driver-Briggs:

[שָׁבַת] verb denominative keep, observe (sabbath); —

Qal, with accusative of cognate meaning; Perfect 3 feminine singular וְשָֽׁבְתָה הָאָרֶץ ׳שַׁבָּת לי Leviticus 25:2; 2 masculine plural מֵעֶרֶב עַדעֶֿרֶב תִּשְׁבְּתוּ שַׁבַּתְּכֶ֑ם Leviticus 23:32 (P).

[Link.]

1) the cognate accusative merely enables transitive use of an intransitive verb by introducing an object, it says nothing about semantics. It is evident that our biblical buddies limit themselves to a very narrow scope, I'd think.
I am not sure what you are getting at. The Greek semantics are clear, and they agree with the Hebrew.
I can say make the Ben (into) Bens and that wouldn't imply any specific meaning such as you cite above
True. Also, "make" and "Bens" are not cognates. Rather, this is an accusative complement construction.
the Coptic doesn't have a verb Sabbathise, it says "make the Sabbath Sabbaths", singular and plural. Use my translation for an easy single-click entry into the dictionary
That agrees with the impression I got from the Coptic. Whereas the Greek uses a cognate accusative construction, the Coptic appears to use an accusative complement.
You're completely right Ben, dunno what I was thinking. Nothing relevant for sure! Ta