Planetary Watchers? Maybe the Gnostics Were Right

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
GakuseiDon

Re: Planetary Watchers? Maybe the Gnostics Were Right

Post by GakuseiDon »

Maybe Dr RIchard Carrier is right as well. If the heavens should be called "outer space" because that's where the people of the time thought the heavens were located, then angels should be called "extraterrestrials". After all, beings that live in outer space are extra-terrestrials. I hope that Giuseppe starts using this 'more accurate' terminology in future, just to be consistent.

Here is part of 2 Enoch, using Carrier's more accurate and non-anachronistic language: http://web.archive.org/web/200611130257 ... Enoch.html

Chapter 3

It came to pass, when Enoch had told his sons, that the extraterrestrials took him on to their anti-gravity modulators and bore him up to the stratosphere and placed him on the clouds. And there I looked, and again I looked higher, and saw the ether, and they placed me in outer space and showed me a very great Sea, greater than the earthly sea.

Chapter 4

They brought before my face the elders and rulers of the stellar orders, and showed me two hundred extraterrestrials, who rule the stars and their services in outer space, and fly with their anti-gravity modulators and come round all those who sail.

(I originally used the word "alien" instead of "extraterrestrial", but surprisingly the latter actually does seem to fit.)
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

The article reference the following picture called "The Pale Blue Dot."
Pale_Blue_Dot.png
Pale_Blue_Dot.png (526.19 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
Achamoth

Post by Achamoth »

Looks like Enoch was right:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... nderthals/

Multiple lines of mysterious ancient humans interbred with us

A study published today in Cell adds a surprising new twist to their mystery: DNA from a large sampling of living southeast Asians suggests that the ghostly Denisovans may be not one, but three distinct kinds of human, one of which is almost as different from other Denisovans as they are from Neanderthals.

What's more, while the Denisovans lived alongside humans for millennia, one group may have outlasted even the Neanderthals, who disappeared some 40,000 years ago. According to the study, these Denisovans co-existed and mixed with modern humans in New Guinea until at least 30,000 years ago—but perhaps as recently as 15,000 years ago—a date that, if confirmed, means Denisovans were the last known humans save ourselves to walk the Earth.