How Does Christianity Work?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Re: How Does Christianity Work?

Post by mlinssen »

Irish1975 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 pm When you say, the words do no have to add up the image, it sounds like you are saying that "tree" in this text could possibly mean cross. But that itself would be allegory. These poems don't become allegorical just because some wildly different and unrelated texts (Letter of Barnabas and the Sybilline Oracles) sometimes allegorize on that theme, in an overtly allegorical manner. There is nothing allegorical about the Odes, and no justification to read them allegorically today. Poetical suggestiveness is not allegory.

I honestly don't see anything to debate here. We cannot jump from a praying position and a tree -- the most commonplace of religious imagery -- to a historical crucifixion unless we ourselves are allegorizing, or simply assuming a Christian context without justification, as Charlesworth and Lattke do.
Hear hear! There is many, many free association like this in the field of "interpreting (more or less) biblical texts", and somehow it is accepted by most. Funny thing is, like the phenomenon itself, no arguments are supplied for that either

If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Fortunately, not everyone holds that position. Thanks!
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

Folks i agree getting an crucifixion reference from the Odes is tricky

Translation issues... sure but here you go
The 'messiah having come' though i thought was pretty firm
"Eyes I have obtained in Him, and have seen His holy day" (Pretty sure 'holy day' is messianic)
"The dove fluttered over the head of our Lord Messiah, because He was her head" - connects in with baptismal motif in gospels
"For I believed in the Lord's Messiah, and considered that He is the Lord" - proto-Pauline?
"On this side and on that the waves were lifted up, but the footsteps of our Lord Messiah stand firm" - walking on water motif in this one
"We live in the Lord by His grace, and life we receive by His Messiah" - that's the theology was talking about, its not sacrificial explicitly
"The Messiah in truth is one. And He was known before the foundations of the world, that He might give life to persons for ever by the truth of His name" - yep it's kind of different
"We live in the Lord by His grace, and life we receive by His Messiah.
For a great day has shined upon us, and wonderful is He who has given to us of His glory" - messianic

i recon the question is what kind of messianic stuff this is

As for Crucifixion this is problem - something so dramatic would be mentioned? especially if close in time to events is argued
"I was not rejected although I was considered to be so, and I did not perish although they thought it of me"
Surely the messiah has physically died?
Maybe the odes dont made a great thing of this... cause to them he is still alive?
"And they surrounded me like mad dogs, those who in stupidity attack their masters" - so there's opposition

Ode 42 is the closest to a crucifixion reference - i guess the point was in these odes they seem to find a messianic redemption via a slightly different route to say Paul - although there's much that is similar or doesn't contradict with Paul too much.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Subject: How Does Christianity Work?
I honestly don't see anything to debate here. We cannot jump from a praying position and a tree -- the most commonplace of religious imagery -- to a historical crucifixion unless we ourselves are allegorizing, or simply assuming a Christian context without justification, as Charlesworth and Lattke do.
Subject: How Does Christianity Work?
Folks i agree getting an crucifixion reference from the Odes is tricky
I have long been wary of reading a crucifixion reference into the Odes. The description, on its face, seems to be comparing the orans position for prayer to a tree:

Odes of Solomon 27.1-3: 1 I stretched out my hands and sanctified my Lord, 2 for the extension of my hands is His sign, 3 and my expansion is the upright tree.

Odes of Solomon 42.1-6: 1 I stretched out my hands and approached my Lord, 2 for the stretching of my hands is His sign. 2 My expansion is the outspread tree which was set up on the way of the Righteous One. 4 And I became of no account to those who did not take hold of me and I shall be with those who love me. 5 All my persecutors are dead; and they sought after me who hoped in me, because I was alive. 6 And I rose up and am with them; and I will speak by their mouths.

Orans (Catacomb of Priscilla).png
Orans (Catacomb of Priscilla).png (620.17 KiB) Viewed 10480 times

There is a collocation of elements in these two Odes which merits attention:
  1. I stretched out my hands (A)....
  2. ...and sanctified my Lord (B)....
  3. ...for the extension of my hands is His sign (C)....
  4. ...and my expansion is the upright tree (D).
These four elements appear in overtly Christian texts in various combinations:

Barnabas 12.1-4: 1 In a similar way he makes another declaration about the cross in another prophet, who says, “‘When will these things be fulfilled?’ says the Lord. ‘When a tree falls and rises up, and when blood flows from a tree [ὅταν ξύλον κλιθῇ καὶ ἀναστῇ, καὶ ὅταν ἐκ ξύλου αἷμα στάξῃ]’ (D) (= 4 Ezra 4.33; 5.5).” Again you have a message about the cross [περὶ τοῦ σταυροῦ] (D) and the one who was about to be crucified. 2 And he again tells Moses, when Israel was attacked by a foreign people, to remind those under assault that they were being handed over to death because of their sins. The Spirit speaks to the heart of Moses that he should make a type of the cross (C) and of the one who was about to suffer, that they might realize, he says, that if they refused to hope in him, they would be attacked forever. And so Moses stacked weapons one on the other in the midst of the battle, and standing high above all the people he stretched out his hands [ἐξέτεινεν τὰς χεῖρας] (A); and so Israel again gained the victory. But then, when he lowered his hands, they began to be killed (= Exodus 17.8-13). 3 Why was that? So that they may know that they cannot be saved unless they hope in him. 4 And again in another prophet he says, “All day long I have opened up my hands [διεπέτασα τὰς χεῖράς μου] to a disobedient people that opposes my upright path” (= Isaiah 65.2).

Sibylline Oracles 5.255-258: 255-258 Then there shall come from the sky a certain / Exalted man (B) whose hands he spread out (A) upon the fruitful tree [ξύλου] (D), / The noblest of the Hebrews who caused the sun to stand still / When he cries with fair speech and pure lips.

Hippolytus, On the Antichrist 61, lines 1-31: 1-31 By the woman then clothed with the sun, he meant most manifestly the Church, endued with the Father’s word, whose brightness is above the sun. And by the moon under her feet he referred to her being adorned like the moon with heavenly glory. And the words, “Upon her head a crown of twelve stars” (= Revelation 12.1), refer to the Twelve Apostles by whom the Church was founded. And those, she, being with child, cries, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered, mean that the Church will not cease to bear from her heart the Word that is persecuted by the unbelieving in the world. “And she brought forth,” he says, “a Son, a male, who is to rule all the nations” (= Revelation 12.5), by which is meant that the Church, always bringing forth Christ, the perfect Son, a male, of God, who is declared to be God and man, becomes the instructor of all the nations. And the words, “Her child was caught up unto God and to His throne” (= Revelation 12.5), signify that He who is always born of her is a heavenly King, and not an earthly one, even as David also declared of old when he said, “The Lord said to my Lord (B), ‘Sit at my right hand until I make Your enemies Your footstool’ (= Psalm 110.1).” “And the dragon,” he says, “saw and persecuted the woman which brought forth the male. And to the woman were given two wings of the great eagle, so that she might fly into the wilderness, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time from the face of the serpent” (= Revelation 12.14-15). That refers to the “one thousand two hundred and sixty days” (= Revelation 12.6), the half of the week, during which the tyrant is to reign and persecute the Church, which flees “from city to city” (= Matthew 10.23; 23.34) and seeks concealment in the wilderness among the mountains, possessed of no other defense than the two wings of the great eagle, that is to say, the faith of Jesus Christ, who, having stretched forth His holy hands [ἐκτείνας τὰς ἁγίας χεῖρας] (A) upon the tree [ἐπὶ τῷ ξύλῳ] (D), unfolded two wings, the right and the left, and called to Him all who believed upon Him, and covered them as a hen her chickens. For by the mouth of Malachi also He speaks thus, “And unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in His wings” (= Malachi 4.2).

Minucius Felix, Octavius 29: 29 Crosses, moreover, we neither worship nor wish for. You, indeed, who consecrate gods of wood, adore wooden crosses perhaps as parts of your gods. For your very standards, as well as your banners; and flags of your camp, what else are they but crosses glided and adorned? Your victorious trophies not only imitate the appearance of a simple cross, but also that of a man affixed to it. We assuredly see the sign of a cross, naturally, in the ship when it is carried along with swelling sails, when it glides forward with expanded oars; and when the military yoke is lifted up, it is the sign of a cross; and when a man adores God with a pure mind, with hands outstretched (A). Thus the sign (C) of the cross (D) either is sustained by a natural reason, or your own religion is formed with respect to it.

Tertullian, On Prayer 14[.1]: 1 Though Israel wash every day, in all his members, yet is he never clean. His hands at all events are always unclean, crusted over for ever with the blood of the prophets and of the Lord himself: and therefore being, through consciousness of their fathers’ guilt, criminals by inheritance, they dare not lift them up to the Lord, lest some Isaiah cry out, lest Christ be horrified. We however not only lift them up, but also spread them out (A), and, modulating them by the Lord’s B passion (D), in our prayers also express our faith in Christ[/u]. / 1 Omnibus licet membris lauet quotidie Israel, nunquam tamen mundus est. Certe manus eius semper immundae, sanguine prophetarum et ipsius Domini incrustatae in aeternum; et ideo conscientia patrum haereditarii rei nec attollere eas ad Dominum audent, ne exclamet aliquis Esaias, ne exhorreat Christus. Nos uero non attollimus tantum, sed etiam expandimus et dominica passione modula<ta>, tum et orantes confitemur Christo.

Lactantius, Divine Institutes 4.26: Nor ought any one to be ignorant of this, that He Himself, speaking before of His passion, also made it known that He had the power, when He willed it, of laying down His life and of taking it again. Therefore, because He had laid down His life while fastened to the cross, His executioners did not think it necessary to break His bones, as was their prevailing custom, but they only pierced His side. Thus His unbroken body was taken down from the cross, and carefully enclosed in a tomb. Now all these things were done lest His body, being injured and broken, should be rendered unsuitable for rising again. That also was a principal cause why God chose the cross, because it was necessary that He should be lifted up on it, and the passion of God become known to all nations. For since he who is suspended upon a cross is both conspicuous to all and higher than others, the cross was especially chosen, which might signify that He would be so conspicuous, and so raised on high, that all nations from the whole world should meet together at once to know and worship Him. Lastly, no nation is so uncivilized, no region so remote, to which either His passion or the height of His majesty would be unknown. Therefore in His passion He stretched forth His hands [extendit ergo in passione manus suas] (A, D) and measured out the world, that even then He might show that a great multitude, collected together out of all languages and tribes, from the rising of the sun even to his setting, was about to come under His wings, and to receive on their foreheads that great and lofty sign (C). And the Jews even now exhibit a figure of this transaction when they mark their thresholds with the blood of a lamb. For when God was about to smite the Egyptians, to secure the Hebrews from that infliction He had enjoined them to slay a white lamb without spot, and to place on their thresholds a mark from its blood. And thus, when the first-born of the Egyptians had perished in one night, the Hebrews alone were saved by the sign of the blood: not that the blood of a sheep had such efficacy in itself as to be the safety of men, but it was an image of things to come. For Christ was the white lamb without spot; that is, He was innocent, and just, and holy, who, being slain by the same Jews, is the salvation of all who have written on their foreheads the sign of blood — that is, of the cross, on which He shed His blood. For the forehead is the top of the threshold in man, and the wood sprinkled with blood is the emblem of the cross. Lastly, the slaying of the lamb by those very persons who perform it is called the Paschal feast [Pascha nominatur], from paschein [ἀπὸ τοῦ πάσχειν], because it is a figure of the passion, which God, foreknowing the future, delivered by Moses to be celebrated by His people. But at that time the figure was efficacious at the present for averting the danger, that it may appear what great efficacy the truth itself is about to have for the protection of God’s people in the extreme necessity of the whole world. But in what manner or in what region all will be safe who have marked on the highest part of their body this sign of the true and divine blood, I will show in the last book.

I have underlined references to a cross as well as to a tree above, not in order to prejudice the outcome, but rather because the Christian vocabulary was quite comfortable with describing the cross as a tree:

Galatians 3.13: 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us -- for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree [ξύλου]."

1 Peter 2.24: 24 He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree [ξύλον], that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.

Acts 5.30: 30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by hanging Him on a tree [ξύλου].

Acts 10.39: 39 And we are witnesses of all the things He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem. And they also put Him to death by hanging Him on a tree [ξύλου].

Acts 13.29: 29 And when they had carried out all that was written concerning Him, they took Him down from the tree [ξύλου] and laid Him in a tomb.

Barnabas 8.5: 5 Then there is the placing the wool on the tree [ξύλον]. This means that the kingdom of Jesus is on the tree [ξύλου], and that they who set their hope on Him shall live for ever.

Whether the same should be the case for our Odist is exactly the matter at hand.

If it were not for these references comparing a worship position to the death of Jesus on the cross, the above list not intended to be exhaustive, I would look at Odes 27 and 42 and simply say, "Okay, this is a person worshiping his or her Lord in a position that objectively resembles a tree." As Irish1975 correctly observes, praying postures and trees are both common enough as religious tropes.

But can the same be said of this particular collocation of motifs? The outstretched hands, them being a sign specifically of the Lord, the image of the tree.... In what kind and how many contexts can those ideas be found put together like this? Not a rhetorical question; I am interested in the precedents because I have been working with the idea of the Odes being very early and even formative for Christianity for a long time now, and these ideas coming together in this seemingly stereotyped way bears explaining. I have toyed with the worship position, for example, actually having led to the idea of the crucifixion of Jesus in the first place (in the same way that I have toyed with the dove in Ode 24 having led to the idea of the dove descending at the baptism of Jesus); in such a case Odes 27 and 42 would definitely be related to all of those Christian passages, but as source rather than as peer. That the entire crucifixion itself should derive from a worship position, however, is something that would have to be fleshed out; also, the Odes are, by their very nature, very difficult to date (both collectively and individually, which is where things can really get messy), so it is hard to demonstrate by external means that the Odes are the fount and not part of the stream.

If there is a pagan or Jewish or some other description of the orans posture in terms of both a tree and a sign, that would be most welcome. Or, if there is a clear, cogent way to explain the relationship of Odes 27 and 42 to those similar Christian texts in a way that does not lump them in as just another example of the same motif, that too would be most welcome.

ETA: From Andrew Criddle:

Untitled Text 2: 2 .... And the word which comes from his mouth penetrates what is above and below. And the hair of his head is the number of the hidden worlds, and the boundary of his face is the image of the aeons. The hairs of his face are the number of the outer worlds. And the stretching out of his hands is the manifestation of the cross. The stretching out of the cross is the ennead on the right side and on the left. The sprouting of the cross is the incomprehensible man. This is the Father. This is the source which wells up from the silence. This is he who is sought in every place. ....

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

A few observations about the imagery itself, somewhat obvious, but important to keep in mind—

1) There is a simple homology between the human body and the shape of trees. Hence crucifixion.

2) Both trees and the human body have been symbols of life, life after death, rebirth, the circle of life, etc. since history began. “The tree of life.” Humanoid idols of the gods, etc.

3) The monuments and lore of ancient Egypt preserved the ubiquitous symbol/hieroglyph known as the ankh, “life.” The ankh has the shape of the cross, but with a rounded loop at the head, thus merging the image of a tree with that of a human being. In Egyptian religious art, the gods are routinely depicted holding the ankh, or exchanging it with the pharaohs in order to symbolize resurrection in the afterlife. But Egypt is merely the most prominent, obvious historical precedent. The reality is that these images are perennial and archetypal.

4) Therefore there is nothing uniquely Judaic or Christian about such imagery. Nor does it make sense to posit a historical crucifixion as a necessary explanatory origin for such ideas, in an era when Alexandria was the cultural metropolis of the Hellenistic, Greco-Roman world. The New Testament and its later champions re-imagined and mythologized the tree/cross/orans motif in a new way, but they did not invent it.
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:37 am I am interested in the precedents because I have been working with the idea of the Odes being very early and even formative for Christianity for a long time now, and these ideas coming together in this seemingly stereotyped way bears explaining. I have toyed with the worship position, for example, actually having led to the idea of the crucifixion of Jesus in the first place (in the same way that I have toyed with the dove in Ode 24 having led to the idea of the dove descending at the baptism of Jesus); in such a case Odes 27 and 42 would definitely be related to all of those Christian passages, but as source rather than as peer..
I am down with this general approach to the Odes. To me the most striking facts that argue for its primitive and original significance in Christian origins include—

1) No mention of Jesus. A later author would not have omitted this!
2) The inextricable union of traditional Jewish, early gnostic, and Christian themes.
3) The intense similarity to Johannine themes and spirituality, which no one I think disputes.
4) The fact that later handlers of these Odes neither destroyed them nor interpolated NT orthodoxy into them, suggesting some kind of cautious respect.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Irish1975 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:12 am A few observations about the imagery itself, somewhat obvious, but important to keep in mind—

1) There is a simple homology between the human body and the shape of trees. Hence crucifixion.
I would call it analogy (= convergent evolution), but I think your point is the same. I agree.
2) Both trees and the human body have been symbols of life, life after death, rebirth, the circle of life, etc. since history began. “The tree of life.” Humanoid idols of the gods, etc.

3) The monuments and lore of ancient Egypt preserved the ubiquitous symbol/hieroglyph known as the ankh, “life.” The ankh has the shape of the cross, but with a rounded loop at the head, thus merging the image of a tree with that of a human being. In Egyptian religious art, the gods are routinely depicted holding the ankh, or exchanging it with the pharaohs in order to symbolize resurrection in the afterlife. But Egypt is merely the most prominent, obvious historical precedent. The reality is that these images are perennial and archetypal.
Interesting point about the ankh (and its broader context).
4) Therefore there is nothing uniquely Judaic or Christian about such imagery. Nor does it make sense to posit a historical crucifixion as a necessary explanatory origin for such ideas....
I was at no point leaping to an historical crucifixion: just the crucifixion as an idea, be it history or legend or ritualized myth or mythicized ritual or what have you.

Good points to be considered. Thanks!
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

:cheers:
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

good points above
is it completely clear the odes refer to a single individual as the messiah?
if one accepts a crucifixion reference may be possible then also a beheading one is possible as well 'my head is with him, the sword will not divide nor the scimitar'. And when it says 'the messiah in truth is one' - could this mean several candidates were in fact one 'incarnation' of the same thing?

the idea of some early phase where several candidates were thought of as messiah might be a possible curiosity
it could explain some stuff, such as john the baptist 'denying' that he was (why the need?), or how in the gospels Jesus miraculously escapes stoning (or is it being thrown down like James was?) or Lazarus that looks like a resurrection account. It isn't hard to see how that might work looking at Paul - when you have folk saying Christ lives in me, then it's one small step for a man to be the next incarnation on the earth? Then add the reports of 'many saying 'I am he', a collection of anti-Christs floating around... the complaint in 1 John and the Shepherd of Hermas about those who denied the name of Jesus and presumably had some other name...

maybe in some early primordial time it was possible different groups within this movement were following their own incarnation as their founder and were ok with that, a situation that didn't last too long as they diverged but the Odes reflect that time in a positive context not a negative one?
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

davidmartin wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:02 am good points above
is it completely clear the odes refer to a single individual as the messiah?
if one accepts a crucifixion reference may be possible then also a beheading one is possible as well 'my head is with him, the sword will not divide nor the scimitar'. And when it says 'the messiah in truth is one' - could this mean several candidates were in fact one 'incarnation' of the same thing?

the idea of some early phase where several candidates were thought of as messiah might be a possible curiosity
it could explain some stuff, such as john the baptist 'denying' that he was (why the need?), or how in the gospels Jesus miraculously escapes stoning (or is it being thrown down like James was?) or Lazarus that looks like a resurrection account. It isn't hard to see how that might work looking at Paul - when you have folk saying Christ lives in me, then it's one small step for a man to be the next incarnation on the earth? Then add the reports of 'many saying 'I am he', a collection of anti-Christs floating around... the complaint in 1 John and the Shepherd of Hermas about those who denied the name of Jesus and presumably had some other name...

maybe in some early primordial time it was possible different groups within this movement were following their own incarnation as their founder and were ok with that, a situation that didn't last too long as they diverged but the Odes reflect that time in a positive context not a negative one?
The more I read the Odes, the more I am struck by their dream-like quality. They seem like the visions or dreams of a single person, or a very tight circle. I have debated before with Ben whether the reference to “the temple” in Ode 6 is historical and pre-70. I am now less confident about that.

Poetry floats above history and time. I think this kind of literature may have been a powerful inspiration in primitive Christianity, and I like Ben’s suggestion that Mark got the dove idea from Ode 24. At some point, for figures like Cephas and Paul, the mythology of the visions took on a definite mythic structure. This structure isn’t really present in the Odes, although many NT themes are scattered throughout them seemingly without rhyme or reason. Lattke claims that the NT texts are “felt” behind the Odes, but this makes no sense. In the natural order, visionary material congeals into narrative structure as time progresses, rather than breaking into disorderly fragments from out of an originally coherent story.
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

The more I read the Odes, the more I am struck by their dream-like quality. They seem like the visions or dreams of a single person, or a very tight circle. I have debated before with Ben whether the reference to “the temple” in Ode 6 is historical and pre-70. I am now less confident about that.

Poetry floats above history and time. I think this kind of literature may have been a powerful inspiration in primitive Christianity, and I like Ben’s suggestion that Mark got the dove idea from Ode 24. At some point, for figures like Cephas and Paul, the mythology of the visions took on a definite mythic structure. This structure isn’t really present in the Odes, although many NT themes are scattered throughout them seemingly without rhyme or reason. Lattke claims that the NT texts are “felt” behind the Odes, but this makes no sense. In the natural order, visionary material congeals into narrative structure as time progresses, rather than breaking into disorderly fragments from out of an originally coherent story.
It's also interesting to see a lack of Hellenism present apart from possibly the concept of logos... maybe Ben can comment on this!
Paul rejects Greek philosophy but he sure does embrace Greek rhetoric, so does Josephus and then there's Philo
The Odes seem to me to reject Hellenism entirely and fall back on Jewish concepts, but at the same time project another vision which I think the Odes are saying is more original, just like presumably all sectarian and official groups don't think Paul would be completely on-board with this!