4Q-323 Manuscript C Fragment 1

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

4Q-323 Manuscript C Fragment 1

Post by Charles Wilson »

Eisenman and Wise, Dead Sea Scrolls Uncovered, ISBN-13 978-1-5661-9623-9, p. 126:

(6) [the sixth day of] (the service of the priestly course of) Hezir, which is the tenth day of the seventh month, this is [the day of Atonement;]
(7) ...for the Covenant; on the eleventh day of the seventh month, the arrival of (the priestly course of [Happizzez]...

1.This is very incomplete but I wanted to show that there might be something of value in the Date Structure and Mishmarot material.
We are given 2 Mishmarot Groups in these 2 lines, Hezir and Happizzez.

2. We are given an important fact: The 6th day of Service for Hezir is the tenth of the 7th month. That day is the Day of Atonement.

3. Happizzez rotates into Jerusalem on the 11th, the Next Day. That day is a Sabbath.

4. I found http://www.cgsf.org/dbeattie/calendar/ . Very nicely done! Hope it's correct... I looked at all the dates when the Day of Atonement fell on Friday and...
Some of you already see the problem. The calendar has been adjusted so that the Day of Atonement does not fall on Friday. Here is some Agit-Prop that nonetheless contains some info from the Talmud - http://www.franknelte.net/article.php?article_id=42 . I call on our Resident Talmud expert, steve43, to verify what is said here. I'm sure he won't mind, he reads the Talmud faithfully and with proper reverence...

5. I began with 20 BCE and worked back to 65 BCE. noting when the Day of Atonement fell on the Sabbath. I then started at 65 BCE, found the Julian Day Converter - http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/JulianDate.php - and converted the various Roman days to Julian Day Numbers.

6. By previous work and some E-Mails from David Christensen, "The Old Believer", it can be shown that Happizzez rotated into Jerusalem on JD 1720080 in 4 BCE.

***The Mishmarot Cycle is 24 Groups * 7 Days = 168 Days. If I subtract one Sabbath JD from another Sabbath JD and divide by 168 and get Remainder Zero, the same Mishmarot Group is reporting into Jerusalem on both dates.***

7. First Number Check: Saturday, October 4, 64 BCE. Remainder. Not this one.
Second Number Check: Saturday, September 30, 61 BCE. Remainder, but a number just over an integer value. I added one day and got a zero remainder. That meant that September 30, 61 BCE MIGHT have been adjusted.

In an "Unadjusted Calendar", the Day of Atonement would have been one day ahead of the Sabbath that Happizzez reported for Service.

8. There could be plenty wrong with this, not the least of which is that Charles Wilson is doing the Math - by hand, mostly. I taught HS Maff and I wouldn't let my kidz use ca'ca'lay'tuhz so why should I use one now? I found a Hit on the second date. The Sieve needs to examine all the dates. I haven't programmed (C, Pascal, Fingers) in decades. I can't even find an unadjusted calendar!

***The Big Problem: Notice that I stated a date for Happizzez in 4 BCE. That's based on Ta'anit 29A which states that Jehoiarib was on duty during the Destruction of the Temple. Is THIS date true or false? Could the DSS provide another Holy Day and Mishmarot check? I'm tired. Why don't YOU see what you can find? If this Anchor Date does turn out to be accurate, we have discovered that someone was writing in that time frame near late September 61 BCE that the Day of Atonement was on Friday and Happizzez was rotating into Jerusalem on the next day.

CW
Last edited by Charles Wilson on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Wilson

Re: 4Q-323 Manuscript C Fragment 1

Post by Charles Wilson »

1. Minor correction: 4Q-323 is the manuscript Identifier - another tyypo.

2. Between 20 BCE and 65 BCE, there are 2 Sabbath Days of Atonement which might have been served by the Mishmarot Group "Hapezzez":

September 30, 61 BCE, listed on this Thread last night.

***October 14, 27 BCE***

These two dates are dates that appear to have been "adjusted" to make the Day of Atonement occur of the Sabbath. By adding one day to the Julian Date, the algorithm for discovering Mishmarot Coverage gives an Integer Value with no Remainder - an indicator that Hapezzez did report for Duty on those days.

Which Date is correct - given that the list is incomplete?

In commentary given to the fragments, E&W state that the texts contain "over a dozen references to historical events...", including Historical Figures Aemillius Scarus, Queen Salome, Hyrcanus 2, and possibly Salome's son Aristobulus.

This would give the nod to October 14, 27 BCE.

CW