The Presence (and Absence) of Nomina Sacra in To Theodore

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: The Presence (and Absence) of Nomina Sacra in To Theodore

Post by Secret Alias »

Here is the translated Greek entry in Wikipedia back to back with the English translation. I think this is important:
κος
Μετάβαση στην πλοήγησηΠήδηση στην αναζήτηση
Gthumb.svg
Αυτή η σελίδα μπήκε στον κατάλογο των σελίδων που χρειάζονται επιμέλεια και έλεγχο
Παρακαλούμε συμπληρώστε, τεκμηριώστε το λήμμα και βγάλτε αυτή την ετικέτα εάν θεωρείτε ότι το λήμμα ανταποκρίνεται στα κριτήρια του Βικιλεξικού.

Για έλεγχο. των κλιτικών του τύπων, και του επίσημου πρωτοκόλλου αναγραφής στις επιστολές. Sarri.greek 20:07, 26 Φεβρουαρίου 2020 (UTC).

Δείτε επίσης : ΚΟΣ, Κως

Πίνακας περιεχομένων
1 Ελληνικά (el)
1.1 Ετυμολογία
1.2 Προφορά
1.3 Συντομομορφή
1.3.1 Σημειώσεις
Ελληνικά (el)
Ετυμολογία
κος < συντομογραφία του κύριος
Προφορά
ΔΦΑ : /ˈci.ɾi.ɔs/
Συντομομορφή
κος, θηλυκό κα (κυρία)

κύριος
Σημειώσεις
γενική ενικού: κου (κυρίου)
παλαιά αιτιατική ενικού: κον (κύριον, όπως στην αναγραφή σε επιστολές: προς τον κύριο)
Γράφεται με κεφαλαίο (Κος): → λείπει ο ορισμός (ή οι ορισμοί)

Mr.
Go to navigationJump in search
Gthumb.svg
This page has been added to the list of pages that need to be edited and checked
Please fill in, document the entry and remove this tag if you think the entry meets the Wiktionary criteria.

For control. of its clitic types, and the official protocol of writing in the letters. Sarri.greek 20:07, 26 February 2020 (UTC).

See also  : KOS , Kos

Table of Contents
1 Greek (el)
1.1 Etymology
1.2 Pronunciation
1.3 Abbreviation
1.3.1 Notes
Greek (en)
Etymology
Mr. < abbreviation of the lord
Pronunciation
ΔΦΑ : / ˈci.ɾi.ɔs /
Abbreviation
Mr. , female Ms (Ms)

Mr
Notes
general singular: Mr ( Mr )
old causative singular: con ( main , as in the inscription in letters: to the main)
Capitalized ( Mr. ): εί missing definition (or definitions)
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

It's modern or pre-modern (I don't know how old it is) Greek. The author WAS LIKELY rendering nomen sacrum into everyday Greek of his day and therefore NOT Morton Smith who didn't recognize the usage, didn't mention it in his book. I will forward this to a friend writing a book on this topic. Thank you!
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

So is the thought that the 18-19th century scribe converted the NS to modern form during the transcribing, used modern NS to shorten the actual words (no ancient NS) in the original text, or that using the modern NS indicates that it was a 18-19th century forgery?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

What I am saying is - let's leave aside the question of forgery entirely. Why κου for Κυρίου (or for the nomen sacrum Κυ of there was an original MS) AND Ἰησοῦν, Ἰησοῦς for Ἰ(ησοῦ)ν, Ἰ(ησοῦ)ς if there was an original MS? What explains those two pieces of evidence?

Answer: only a native Greek speaking scribe from the post-17th century period (post-17th century because of the printing of the book that contains the MS rather than the use of κου as the genitive of 'Lord').

https://el.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%BA%CE%BF%CF%82

Smith wrote his exhaustive study of MS 65 and NOWHERE mentions κου as the modern Greek genitive for Κυρίου (= the equivalent of the English 'Mr.). Why? Because he didn't know it. No or few NT scholars have any clue about modern or Byzantine Greek except of course for Tselikas whom I would argue clearly saw the anomaly and - when grouped together with other signs he notes of modern or Byzantine Greek usage on the part of the scribe FLOATS THE THEORY THAT SMITH HAD AN ACCOMPLICE. He does so undoubtedly because he wants to disprove the document. But as a native speaking Greek and perhaps the foremost expert on 17th - 18th century MSS HE CAN'T AVOID SEEING THAT THE SCRIBE HAS - in the process of transcribing something (whether ancient or modern) - RENDERED THE TEXT INTO EVERYDAY PLAIN USAGE. At the point an ancient MS would have had the genitive κυ NATURALLY RENDERS IT INTO THE MODERN OR BYZANTINE EQUIVALENT κου THE WAY WE WOULD WRITE MR in shorthand for Mister (ENGLISH DOESN'T HAVE A DIFFERENT GENITIVE).

The case against Smith is over and will likely (if the argument is persuasive) make its way in a forthcoming book. Tselikas knew it when he saw this and other signs of modern Greek in the document. NT scholars are philistines incapable of properly evaluating the Greek usage in this 17th or 18th century text.

All that is left is to determine when - or the earliest date - κου was used as the genitive 'Mr' in Greek.

All signs point to the following NATURAL explanation of the phenomena - i.e. a 17th or 18th or perhaps modern scribe with archaic writing habits (or if it is a forgery - imitating archaic Byzantine scribal habits - although I think this is forced and unnecessary and NOT the best explanation of the phenomena). The most likely situation is simply someone modern or relatively modern transcribing a scrap of paper into a book. It was an INFORMAL transcription. When he came upon the original nomina sacra he rendered Κυ in the contemporary form of the genitive abbreviation i.e. κου. When he came upon Ἰν and Ἰς he rendered them in their 'natural' or full form i.e. Ἰησοῦν, Ἰησοῦς.

In short this makes sense given the situation - i.e. he was copying out something into the blank pages of a book. It wasn't a FORMAL exercise. He likely came upon something he found of interest and simply wrote it out ACCORING TO CONTEMPORARY GREEK USAGE using 'Mr' and 'Jesus' rather than the FORMAL or traditional ecclesiastic forms Κυ, Ἰν and Ἰς.

But Smith is excluded from consideration whether or not it was a natural expression of informality or a contrived (i.e. forgery) one.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Just sent an email to Tselikas regarding the century Greek stopped abbreviating κύριος as κς and started using κος.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Mr. Turner = Ο κος Τέρνερ
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

What about spelling jesus in full?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Ok. Any normal person in his everyday short hand would spell 'Jesus' as 'Jesus' and mister as 'Mr" or "mister" in full. The same in everyday Greek.

κος was used as an abbreviation of Lord or Mister (= modern English 'Master') at least as early as the nineteenth century:
As an example of the bastard speech which it is actually proposed to teach in England, we may take some specimens from the Diegemata of Monsieur BIRELAs, or of Kos BIKELAs, as he would be called, Kos being short for Kurios. https://books.google.com/books?id=HPxYi ... rd&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=wG5DA ... 22&f=false

I bet it goes back even further - i.e. to the time of the seventeenth or eighteenth century.
Last edited by Secret Alias on Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I am proposing the person writing out the MS into the book was simply abiding by everyday Greek writing habits from the time he was living. In short he was Greek. He wasn't imitating archaic or ancient Greek terminology and scribal habits.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

I agree with that case. I think you should start looking into the time frame that they dropped the NS for Jesus and started spelling it out as well, probably following the rise of the printing press.