Marcosian Beliefs Survived in Russian Monasteries Until 19th Century

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Marcosian Beliefs Survived in Russian Monasteries Until 19th Century

Post by Secret Alias »

In the 19th century a special case and a different form of dealing with the sacred names appeared in the Russian Orthodox Church , namely that of God, which became known as nomenclature ( Имяславие , Imagia Slavia ). According to this belief, the very name and inscription of God are not merely sacred but are an incarnation of God himself. This move was condemned as heretical by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Moscow Patriarchate , however it also spread to the Russian monasteries of Mount Athos , and as a result in 1913 there was an invasion of Russian soldiers in the monastery of St. Panteleimon.accompanied by a Russian bishop in order to arrest the heretical monks. This religious movement is still in power in Russia . https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ch&pto=aue
Secret Alias

Re: Marcosian Beliefs Survived in Russian Monasteries Until 19th Century

Post by Secret Alias »

I'm friends with Lourie on Facebook. Little did I know ...

When you start speaking about a monastic sect that makes arguments from Plato, you've got me at hello. Also this is crazy fascinating:
The Russian Mathematics School is considered by some to have been created by Dmitri Egorov and Nikolai Luzin, both of whom were Imiaslavtsy and personal friends of Pavel Florensky as well as philosopher Aleksei Losev (both imiaslavtsy in theology).[8][9] Florensky was a pupil of Egorov and a classmate of Luzin, and they published together. Florensky published works on the parallels between abstract mathematics and religion: he stated that the mathematics of continuous functions is like rationalism while some concepts, such as transfinite numbers, can be explained only in the framework of the Imiaslavie philosophy, where the Name of God is God Himself.

The historians of mathematics Loren Graham and Jean-Michel Kantor have stated that the work of the Russian Mathematics School is still filled with this mysticism while the French Mathematics School is considered to be based on rationalism.
perseusomega9

Re: Marcosian Beliefs Survived in Russian Monasteries Until 19th Century

Post by perseusomega9 »

I believe Tom Dysktra wrote on this subject
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1Y5YDC/re ... TF8&btkr=1

he's also the author of the great book Mark: Canonizer of Paul