My current and still developing view of the nomina sacra.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: My current and still developing view of the nomina sacra.

Post by Secret Alias »

What would be the alternative?
I am just saying when it did the calculations for pre-Christian or extra-Christian Greek abbreviations of 'Lord' c. 100 - 200 CE they were almost all abbreviations of kuriou.
Jax

Post by Jax »

To clarify my earlier comment on the early Muslims calling Jesus Isa. On reading up on the Injil I note that the name Iesa is also used so it looks like their sources included the NS IS and IES at least.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

m,

Sorry to irritate you so.

I apparently found it too tedious to wade through 4 pages of looong posts about hypotheticals.

Did you try to tease out how Barnabas came up with 318 before you proceeded to pose your "what-if" inquiries?

Just sayin' ...

DCH

mlinssen wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:17 am
DCHindley wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:35 am
mlinssen wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:04 am You [Ben] did quote me, but out of context - I had hit a dead end trying to make sense of the 318, and viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3149&p=114502#p114516 conveys that:
mlinssen wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:15 pm Yes, dead end there. Back to Barnabas and his impossible math of 18 and 300 having anything to do with IN, which is 10 and 50...
m,

Barnabas 9 involves exegesis of Genesis. The 318 men Abraham had circumcised from his household was teased out of Genesis 14 & 17.

The number 18 is gematria for the Greek letters I (iota) & E (eta), interpreted as "Jesus," plus 300 for the Greek letter T (tau), interpreted as the shape of Jesus' cross.

It does not appear to have anything to do with an abbreviation such as IN.

DCH
That is exactly the conclusion we reached
Jax

Post by Jax »

Hey Ben, have compiled the NS data from the wikipedia page on this from the list of NS pre 300 into spreadsheet form.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomina_sa ... 20overline.
NS 2.pdf
(17.3 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Hope you find this format at all useful and I can pay off some of my debt to you. :)

Lane
Last edited by Jax on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jax

Post by Jax »

I have used English where I could for simplicity ie Lamda is L etc. O is Omiekron while Om is Omega and Th is Theta to distinguish it from Tau.

I have retained H as Eta to distinguish it from O = Omiekron.

If you see any errors please let me know
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:58 am Hey Ben, have compiled the NS data from the wikipedia page on this from the list of NS pre 300 into spreadsheet form.
NS 2.pdf

Hope you find this format at all useful and I can pay off some of my debt to you. :)

Lane
Ha ha, thanks, Lane!

You owe me nothing, obviously. But thank you for this. :cheers:
Jax

Post by Jax »

While nothing in the data indicates what came first, IS or IHS, for the name of the XS/XRS I have noted that both forms are used in several texts (45,46,72,75,0162) making me wonder if anyone has done any work in identifying the longer abbreviations as the scribe simply adding an Eta while writing out the text from being dictated to.

Anyway, just a thought.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:12 pm
Jax wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:58 am Hey Ben, have compiled the NS data from the wikipedia page on this from the list of NS pre 300 into spreadsheet form.
NS 2.pdf

Lane
Ha ha, thanks, Lane!

You owe me nothing, obviously. But thank you for this. :cheers:
Anytime. :cheers:
Jax

Post by Jax »

I find myself wondering, how did the early Coptic, Syriac, and Latin texts render the name IS/IHS? Any Idea?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

No declension in Coptic