On the hypothesis that the Gospel Jesus == Jesus ben Saphat

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: On the hypothesis that the Gospel Jesus == Jesus ben Saphat

Post by maryhelena »

Meanwhile - back to the Carrier article on the Bible and Interpretation website. No reply from Carrier to Greg Doudna's latest comment. However, there is a comment from David Madison.

Submitted by David Madison on Sat, 08/14/2021 - 00:39

https://bibleinterp.arizona.edu/comment ... mment-1097

According to Greg Doudna, the real inspiration for the Jesus movement was Jesus ben Sapphat, who was active in the 60s. I would be interested to know the reasoning behind Greg's proposal. Firstly, why was he looking for the "real" Jesus and where did he expect to find him? The search for the "real" Jesus is usually based on the assumption that the Gospels have at least some historical basis - that a man called Jesus actually lived at the time when the Gospels say he did. If that assumption is abandoned, it is difficult to see what could guide the search for the real Jesus. How would you know when the real Jesus lived? Potentially, there could be an answer to that question if we knew for certain that Paul was active after AD 70. But we don't know that, and Greg's attempts to demonstrate this must be regarded as speculative at best. We might still have something to go on if we could find a Jesus who corresponds closely to what Paul says about Jesus. Does that apply to Jesus ben Sapphat? Let's start by asking whether this Jesus died by crucifixion (and not just whether this *might* have happened). As far as I can tell, there is no clear indication that he did.

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

maryhelena wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:23 pm Meanwhile - back on the Carrier article on the Bible and Interpretation website. No reply from Carrier to Greg Doudna's latest comment. However, there is a comment from David Madison.

Submitted by David Madison on Sat, 08/14/2021 - 00:39

https://bibleinterp.arizona.edu/comment ... mment-1097

According to Greg Doudna, the real inspiration for the Jesus movement was Jesus ben Sapphat, who was active in the 60s. I would be interested to know the reasoning behind Greg's proposal. Firstly, why was he looking for the "real" Jesus and where did he expect to find him? The search for the "real" Jesus is usually based on the assumption that the Gospels have at least some historical basis - that a man called Jesus actually lived at the time when the Gospels say he did. If that assumption is abandoned, it is difficult to see what could guide the search for the real Jesus. How would you know when the real Jesus lived? Potentially, there could be an answer to that question if we knew for certain that Paul was active after AD 70. But we don't know that, and Greg's attempts to demonstrate this must be regarded as speculative at best. We might still have something to go on if we could find a Jesus who corresponds closely to what Paul says about Jesus. Does that apply to Jesus ben Sapphat? Let's start by asking whether this Jesus died by crucifixion (and not just whether this *might* have happened). As far as I can tell, there is no clear indication that he did.

Thanks for the quote. I try to answer from the POV of the hypothesis advanced by Doudna. I can resume his 3 strongest arguments, even if I think that he is the best advocate of himself (and surely he is not an apologist):
  • 1. the war as the principal factor that gave rise to Christianity (argument on this).
  • 2. no valid reason why "Mark" (author) would have modeled his Joseph of Arimathea on Josephus (saving the 3 crucified by Titus etc) unless he was constrained to do so by independent oral tradition.
  • 3. the impossible "coincidence", not expected on mythicism as a banal true coincidence, of Joseph of Arimathea being secretly disciple of Jesus and Josephus dealing secret negotiations with Jesus b. Sapphat.
Add to this the strange anomaly about the Book of Revelation, too often ignored by both mythicists and traditional historicists. This book appears to come from people who would hate Rome just as the Taliban hate the USA. And more than one has advanced the hypothesis that his real author was John of Gischala. For example, Robert Stahl, who was a mythicist, identified his John as John the Baptist, the same John identified by Doudna, at least in the Fourth Gospel, as John of Gischala.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

...Surely, the worst way to confute Doudna is to limit to say merely:
Potentially, there could be an answer to that question if we knew for certain that Paul was active after AD 70. But we don't know that, and Greg's attempts to demonstrate this must be regarded as speculative at best.
...since Paul doesn't matter at all, assuming what Detering and Stuart say about Paul. I wonder why Greg insists with genuine epistles...

Robert Stahl has claimed that the only text in all the NT who is datable "with absolute certainty" is: a little portion of Revelation. The so-called Document 70.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Greg Doudna in reply to David Madison

https://bibleinterp.arizona.edu/comment ... mment-1098

What Josephus does not tell in Vita is the identity of the one Josephus saved from death on the cross other than Josephus’s claim that he knew him. Here is the speculative leap, that the name given to the figure in the Gospel version, Jesus, may reflect the name of the one Josephus saved in Vita, based on a backward reasoning that if the three-and-one crucifieds of Vita and in the Gospel version correspond, and if Josephus appears as a character under his own name, by analogy the name of the central figure in the legend, Jesus, could similarly reflect the proper name of the one saved from the cross in Vita.

(my red formatting)

And without historical evidence that Jesus ben Sapphat was on that Josephan cross, Greg's theory can't move beyond speculation.

I'm really sorry to see Greg going for this theory. He has already identified Antigonus as the Wicked Priest of the DSS - the one re the scrolls hung up alive. Quoting Cassius Dio in his DSS article - that Antigonus, King of the Jews, was executed by Marc Antony.

Antigonus II Mattathias

Qumran Scrolls connection

Biblical scholar Gregory Doudna proposed in 2013 that Antigonus II Mattathias was the figure known as the Wicked Priest in the Qumran Scrolls.[12][13] According to Doudna, Antigonus was the figure underlying the 'Wicked Priest' of Pesher Habakkuk, and the doomed ruler of Pesher Nahum, the documents found at Qumran.

''Dion Cassius says, 'Antony now gave the Kingdom to a certain Herod, and having stretched Antigonus on the cross and scourged him, which had never been done before to a king by the Romans, he put him to death'. The sympathies of the masses for the crucified king of Judah, the heroic son of so many heroic ancestors, and the legends growing, in time, out of this historical nucleus, became, perhaps, the source from which Paul and the evangelists preached Jesus as the crucified king of Judea.'' (History of the Hebrew's Second Commonwealth, 1880, Cincinnati, page 206)

Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise (1819-1900), scholar and novelist

(my red formatting)

Rabbi Wise suggested that legends growing around Antigonus could perhaps be the source of the NT story of Jesus as the crucified king of Judea. 70 years after the event of 37 b.c. the gospel's place their Jesus crucifixion story around 33 c.e. (Antigonus ruled from 40 b.c. to 37 b.c. - gospel crucifixion's dates generally run between 30 and 33 c.e.)

Greg's theory, that the Josephan account, in 70 c.e., of 3 men on crosses was somehow backdated to the 30s - presumably to fit with Pilate - has, in actuality, gone back to Antigonus - as that is the history reflected in the gospel Jesus crucifixion story. In other words: there is history, 37 b.c., there is that history's reflection in 33 c.e. with the gospel Jesus crucifixion, and again, in 70 c.e. with the crucifixion of an unnamed man on a cross, a man that survived (as Jesus does in the gospel story via resurrection, as Antigonus does survive, as Rabbi Wise pointed out - via legend.)

If Greg wants the Josephan story about the crucifixion of an unknown man 70 c.e. to have relevance to the gospel Jesus story - then he needs to go back to Antigonus II Mattathias. A story in 3 parts. History in 37 b.c., Reflection in the gospel story of 33 c.e. and Remembrance in 70 c.e. at the siege of Jerusalem.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

maryhelena wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:29 amspeculative leap,
really is it 'speculative'?
I think that it is something more probable than only 'speculative'.

in my view, even Neil has failed to explain why "Mark" (author) would have invented Joseph of Arimathea from the story of Josephus rescuer in extremis of 3 crucified people.

You (="Mark") don't go to invent a detail (=Joseph of Arimathea + 3 crucified) of the pivotal element of your entire story by going to derive it from a story (=about Josephus + 3 crucified) you are not interested really about (at least, interested not in the same measure you are interested to OT stories).

Usually, at the height of an entirely invented drama you reserve the best cartridges for literary allusions, you don't allude to a story as dull and marginal as the one taken by Josephus.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:02 am
maryhelena wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:29 amspeculative leap,
really is it 'speculative'?
Well, that's why Greg Doudna himself called his position...
I think that it is something more probable than only 'speculative'.

in my view, even Neil has failed to explain why "Mark" (author) would have invented Joseph of Arimathea from the story of Josephus rescuer in extremis of 3 crucified people.

You (="Mark") don't go to invent a detail (=Joseph of Arimathea + 3 crucified) of the pivotal element of your entire story by going to derive it from a story (=about Josephus + 3 crucified) you are not interested really about (at least, interested not in the same measure you are interested to OT stories).

Usually, at the height of an entirely invented drama you reserve the best cartridges for literary allusions, you don't allude to a story as dull and marginal as the one taken by Josephus.
Giuseppe, you have a point here. But, methinks, the answer is more involved than making a choice between the dating of the Josephan story of 70 c.e. and the dating of the gospel of Mark. i.e. Josephus wrote first and Mark used the Josephan story. Or, Mark wrote first and it's pure coincidence that the name Joseph of Arimathea seems to correspond in some way to Josephus/Yosef ben Matityahu. Yep, needs more investigation.

Also regarding the name - Yosef ben Matityahu - corresponds to ''Antigonus II Mattathias (Hebrew: מתתיהו אנטיגונוס השני‎, Matityahu), also known as Antigonus the Hasmonean (died 37 BCE) ''

That could be an interesting coincidence - Joseph of Arimathea takes the gospel Jesus figure to his own tomb. Joseph of Aramathea linked via name to Josephus/Yosef ben Matityahu. - linked by name to Antigonus II Matityahu.......

Matthew 25. 57.
When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who was also a disciple of Jesus. 58 He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus; then Pilate ordered it to be given to him. 59 So Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth 60 and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn in the rock. He then rolled a great stone to the door of the tomb and went away.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

maryhelena wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:47 amJosephus wrote first and Mark used the Josephan story.
Even so, this confirms further Doudna's view, since only his hypothesis explains validly why "Mark" (author) was based on that particular episode of Josephus precisely in that particular (pivotal) point of his drama.
maryhelena wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:47 am Or, Mark wrote first and it's pure coincidence that the name Joseph of Arimathea seems to correspond in some way to Josephus/Yosef ben Matityahu. Yep, needs more investigation.
hardly someone may consider that a pure coincidence.

A honest mythicist has to consider that particular midrash from Josephus as a fact, and then he has to raise some hypotheses ad hoc to explain why "Mark" (author) did that particular midrash from Josephus.

These hypotheses are ad hoc because this hypothetical honest mythicist can't justify "Mark"'s choice in this case by appealing to his distorted love for OT scriptures.

Naturally, obviously, hypotheses ad hoc decrease the chance of his thesis.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

David Madison has replied to Greg Doudna on the Bible and Interpretation website.

https://bibleinterp.arizona.edu/comment ... mment-1099

In my opinion, the argument you have presented is a poor substitute for an actual reference to a crucified Jesus. I don't see much of a parallel between the story recounted by Josephus and the Gospel account of the crucifixion. In one case someone is trying to save people from crucifixion and in the other someone is trying to ensure that a victim of crucifixion gets a proper burial. I certainly wouldn't be inclined to use the Gospel story to tell us something about Josephus' experience that he doesn't tell us himself. Furthermore, you infer that the person saved from crucifixion would have been Jesus ben Sapphat. So here is the question. Why would someone who has been saved from crucifixion be the inspiration to Paul and others? Why would people regard what happened to him as a "resurrection"? This seems like the swoon theory. But the bottom line is this. We have no statement to the effect that Jesus ben Sapphat was crucified, much less that he was subsequently resurrected.

(my red bolding)

And there I think is a big problem for Greg's theory regarding the man saved from the cross by Josephus - a man Greg views as being Jesus ben Sapphat. The whole thrust of Christianity is a man dying on a cross - the symbol of which hangs around many a Christian neck. Christ, says Paul, died for our sins. To time shift the Josephan story about a man who survived the Roman crucifixion back to the time of Pilate and the gospel story about JC dying on a cross, would be to overturn the point Josephus has made - a man survived the crucifixion. Survived - not died and was resurrected.

Perhaps, at the end of the day, rather than attempting to time-shift the Josephan man who survived a Roman crucifixion back to the time of Pilate and JC - a consideration of history might be a better approach.

Antigonus II Mattathias

Josephus states that Mark Antony beheaded Antigonus (Antiquities, XV 1:2 (8–9). Roman historian Cassius Dio says that he was crucified and records in his Roman History: "These people [the Jews] Antony entrusted to a certain Herod to govern; but Antigonus he bound to a cross and scourged, a punishment no other king had suffered at the hands of the Romans, and so slew him."[6] In his Life of Antony, Plutarch claims that Antony had Antigonus beheaded, "the first example of that punishment being inflicted on a king."[7]

So - Antigonus was 'bound to a cross and scourged' and he was beheaded. From these accounts it appears the Roman execution of Antigonus was a two stage affair. First he was scourged while bound to a cross. Finally he was beheaded. Whether both these events happened simultaneously or a time period between them is unknown. What does seem to be know is that Marc Antony kept Antigonus a prisoner for some time.

More important, however, is a second point: this whole problem is
only an illusion, for Josephus did not count Herod's years from the conquest
of Jerusalem, although Schiirer and numerous others say he did. In fact, if one
takes the statement in the scholarly locus classicus on Herodian chronology
(SVM I, p. 326, n. 165) that Josephus states that he reigned 37 years from the date of his appointment (40 B . C . ) , 34
years from his conquest of Jerusalem, 37 B . C . Cf. Ant. xvii 8 , 1 (191); B 7 i 3 3 , 8 (665)
and checks the references, he will find that Josephus in fact counts the thirty four years from
the execution of Mattathias Antigonus. But Antigonus was executed in Antioch by Mark Anthony {Ant. 14.488-490;
Strabo, apud Ant.15.9),"^ and, as is shown by the latter's movements, that occurred in the late
autumn of 37, or perhaps early in 36. Anthony was still in Tarentum in
September—October 37."' Thus, there is nothing here to contradict the usage
of an autumn 37 era. Apparently, Josephus, or already Herod, was only
willing to count the new king's regnal years after Antigonus was completely
removed.
However, as we have seen, in fact
at least a few months went by between July 37 and Antigonus' execution.

Daniel R Schwartz: Studies in the Jewish Background of Christianity. Page 176/177/178.

Greg Doudna

The Roman historian Dio Cassius says Antigonus was scourged and crucified, or maybe the sense is he was put up on a cross for scourging as part of the execution (Roman History 5.49.22). Strabo followed by Josephus says Antigonus was beheaded. All accounts agree that the death was shocking and purposely so, intended to be ignominious in the eyes of all, so that any sympathy for Antigonus would be discredited and ended.

https://bibleinterp.arizona.edu/article ... /dou398018

If Greg Doudna is looking for a man who survived a Roman execution - he needs to look no further than Antigonus II Mattathias. An historical King of the Jews that was both scourged on a cross and beheaded during the months he was a prisoner of Marc Antony at Antioch.

As I wrote earlier - If Greg wants the Josephan story about the crucifixion of an unknown man in 70 c.e. to have relevance to the gospel Jesus story - then he needs to go back to Antigonus II Mattathias. A story in 3 parts. History in 37 b.c., Reflection in the gospel story of 33 c.e. and Remembrance in 70 c.e. at the siege of Jerusalem.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

a poor substitute for an actual reference to a crucified Jesus.

better than nothing.

I don't see much of a parallel between the story recounted by Josephus and the Gospel account of the crucifixion.

Well. Only insofar this is the premise, the theorem fails. Unfortunately, the parallelisms are very persuasive: 3 crucified, Joseph, Arimathea, secret friendship.

Russell Gmirkin concedes that if you see that Josephus' episode alluded in Mark, beyond if via midrash or via independent oral tradition:

If the story with a setting under Pilate somehow drew on an episode involving Josephus, one would be curious as to how the story changed so dramatically. Earth-shaking if true.

https://vridar.org/2021/01/05/spit-at-a ... ent-127534

Why would someone who has been saved from crucifixion be the inspiration to Paul and others?

Because, immediately after the destruction of the Temple, someone had to pose as symbolic of the entire "crucified" Israel. The best candidate for that "someone" was Jesus b. Sapphat. So we have two crucifixions:
  • The crucifixion of Jesus ben Sapphat followed by his survival out of Jerusalem in 70 CE
  • The "crucifixion" of the entire Israel in 70 CE followed by his survival in the Diaspora.
What Paul (or who for him) had to do was merely identify these two crucifixions. Without one, the other crucifixion couldn't work as religious drama.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Note that Christian scholar and apologist Karel Hanhardt concedes:
  • that Joseph of Arimathea is Josephus;
  • that someone had to pose as symbolic/allegorical of the entire "crucified" (in 70) Israel.
The only difference between Hanhardt and Doudna is that the first sees a fantomatic Jesus of Nazaret as the best candidate for the role while the second sees Jesus son of Sapphias as the best candidate for the role.

Unfortunately for Hanhardt , a Jesus crucified in 70 CE is a best candidate for the role than a Jesus crucified in 30 CE.