Interesting statement in Romans 15

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Interesting statement in Romans 15

Post by MrMacSon » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:36 pm

Moreover,

Romans 15
27(b) ... For if the Gentiles have shared in the Jews’ spiritual blessings, they owe it to the Jews to share with them their material blessings. .. 28 So after I have completed this task and have made sure that they have received this contribution, I will go to Spain and visit you on the way. ..29 I know that when I come to you, I will come in the full measure of the blessing of Christ.

30 I urge you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. ..31 Pray that I may be kept safe from the unbelievers in Judea and that the contribution I take to Jerusalem may be favorably received by the Lord’s people there, 32 so that I may come to you with joy, by God’s will, and in your company be refreshed. 33 The God of peace be with you all. Amen.

What unbelievers in Judea does he want to be safe from??

Aleph One

Re: Interesting statement in Romans 15

Post by Aleph One » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:26 pm

Very interesting find! I was just reading Thomas E. Phillips's When Did Paul Become a Christian?: Rereading Paul’s Autobiography in Galatians and Biography in Acts in Essays in Honor of Dennis R. MacDonald where he posits:
I quickly came to believe that nearly all scholars, even the most widely respected critical scholars of the Pauline letters and Acts, tended to crossbreed the “real Paul” of the letters with the early church’s memory of Paul in Acts, thus, creating a third sort of thing, a hybrid stepson of Paul and Luke.
And then goes on to suggest that:
Let me suggest that we would read Galatians 1 as an account of how Paul, as a follower of Christ, nonviolently opposed Gentile inclusion into the church on the basis of his understanding of Judaism (and God’s promises to the Jews regarding the Messiah), and of how Paul received a dramatic revelation from God which completely altered his views regarding Gentile inclusion into the people of God
In other words that every time we read Paul's letters and assume he is talking about his conversion to christ, or converting others to christ, what he's really talking about is his (or their) acceptance of a law-free gentile inclusion in the church. I mostly mention it because I happen to be reading it at the moment but the essay at least provides one alternative interpretation of this difficult aspect of Paul's texts.