If 'Vengeance is Mine' is a Jewish Misreading for 'the Day of Vengeance' What Evidence is There Yahweh was Vengeful?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: If 'Vengeance is Mine' is a Jewish Misreading for 'the Day of Vengeance' What Evidence is There Yahweh was Vengeful?

Post by Giuseppe »

Marcion would have agreed quasi entirely with this quote:

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Secret Alias

Re: If 'Vengeance is Mine' is a Jewish Misreading for 'the Day of Vengeance' What Evidence is There Yahweh was Vengeful?

Post by Secret Alias »

Thank you Joe. But Giuseppe the quote from Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion not withstanding Marcion and Philo agree that there are two gods - one merciful, one just. But even here, just isn't necessarily 'vengeful.' If someone doesn't fulfil a contract, demanding fulfillment isn't 'vengeful' - it's just executing an agreement. Like ordering food at a restaurant.