Recommend me some good books on liturgical history

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
perseusomega9

Recommend me some good books on liturgical history

Post by perseusomega9 »

I come from an Eastern Orthodox background and have always found their services to be absolutely stunning. I'm looking for some good recommendations on books that discuss liturgical development, especially as it relates to the church combining different aspects of worship from competing sects into their liturgy such as the mixing of warm water with the wine, eating milk and honey after baptism, and other things that may have been incorporated to the various services and hymns.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
The Crow

Re: Recommend me some good books on liturgical history

Post by The Crow »

Heres what Amazon has by typing in what your looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... evelopment
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

perseusomega9 wrote:I come from an Eastern Orthodox background and have always found their services to be absolutely stunning. I'm looking for some good recommendations on books that discuss liturgical development, especially as it relates to the church combining different aspects of worship from competing sects into their liturgy such as the mixing of warm water with the wine, eating milk and honey after baptism, and other things that may have been incorporated to the various services and hymns.
Persons of Eastern Orthodox derivation are heavily represented on Protestant Evangelical Christian web sites and they also have many of their own web sites. I've always been amazed at how similar the mindset of Evangelical Protestant and Eastern Orthodox are. But I do know that the liturgy (of two types, I believe) is actually the primary source for their NT text.

DCH
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

As a thorough basic introduction to liturgical history try The Study of Liturgy

Andrew Criddle
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Thanks Andrew, that looks like it's an industry standard.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

-Giuseppe
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

DCHindley wrote:
perseusomega9 wrote:I come from an Eastern Orthodox background and have always found their services to be absolutely stunning. I'm looking for some good recommendations on books that discuss liturgical development, especially as it relates to the church combining different aspects of worship from competing sects into their liturgy such as the mixing of warm water with the wine, eating milk and honey after baptism, and other things that may have been incorporated to the various services and hymns.
Persons of Eastern Orthodox derivation are heavily represented on Protestant Evangelical Christian web sites and they also have many of their own web sites. I've always been amazed at how similar the mindset of Evangelical Protestant and Eastern Orthodox are. But I do know that the liturgy (of two types, I believe) is actually the primary source for their NT text.

DCH
A lot of Orthodox in the west who weren't born into it are converts from evangelical churches, so that's the link you might experiencing as the newly Orthodox want to evangelize their former brethren about the True church. Other than that, their respective theologies are very different.

-Giuseppe