"Esteemed pillars" vis a vis "men from James": Re-imagining the context for the way Paul spoke to Peter "to his face."

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Bernard Muller

Re: "Esteemed pillars" vis a vis "men from James": Re-imagining the context for the way Paul spoke to Peter "to his face

Post by Bernard Muller »

Gal 2:5 to whom not ['οὐδὲ'] for an hour we gave place by subjection, that the truth of the good news might remain to you.

According to http://www.laparola.net/greco/index.php:
οἷς οὐδὲ] p46 ‭א A B C D1 F G K L P Ψ 075 0150 6 33 81 88 104 181 256 263 326 330 365 424 436 451 459 614 629 630 1175 1241 1319 1573 1739 1852 1877 1881 1912 1962 1984 1985 2127 2200 2464 2492 2495 Byz Lect itar itdem itf itg ito itx itz vg syrh syrpal copsa copbo goth arm (eth) geo slav Basil (Ps-Ignatius) Epiphanius Chrysostom Jerome Theodorelat Augustine Euthalius Ps-Jerome Theodoret Cassiodorus John-Damascus ς WH
οἷς] D2 Greek and Latin mss according to Jerome mss according to Primasius mss according to Sedulius-Scotus
οὐδὲ] syrp Marcionaccording to Tertullian Ephraem Ambrose Latin mss according to Victorinus-Rome Greek mss according to Ambrosiaster
omit] D* itb itd ite Irenaeuslat (Tertullian) Ambrosiaster Victorinus-Rome Pelagius Primasius Greek and Latin mss according to Victorinus-Rome Latin mss according to Cassiodorus Latin mss according to Claudius
omit οἷς οὐδὲ... ὑποταγῇ] l884

οἷς without οὐδὲ appears in very few witnesses (all of the them late) compared with οἷς οὐδὲ (notice p46).

About p46, it reads (according to Laparola):
Gal 2:12 for before the coming of certain from James, with the gentiles he was eating, and when he [instead of "they"] came, he was withdrawing and separating himself, fearing those of the circumcision,

p46 allows: Peter could have known about certain from James in Antioch and what he was preaching, either before Peter reached that city or when he got into Antioch, and immediatly changed his way towards gentiles.

Cordially, Bernard
gryan

Re: "Esteemed pillars" vis a vis "men from James": Re-imagining the context for the way Paul spoke to Peter "to his face

Post by gryan »

Bernard Muller wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:32 am
About p46, it reads (according to Laparola):
Gal 2:12 for before the coming of certain from James, with the gentiles he was eating, and when he [instead of "they"] came, he was withdrawing and separating himself, fearing those of the circumcision,

p46 allows: Peter could have known about certain from James in Antioch and what he was preaching, either before Peter reached that city or when he got into Antioch, and immediatly changed his way towards gentiles.
RE: Translation of p46, which combines a matched pair of variants--τινα (singular)... ἦλθεν (singular)
http://www.laparola.net/greco/index.php

Gal 2:12 / p46

"...for before the coming of someone (τινα, singular) from James, he [Cephas] was eating with the gentiles, but when he came [ἦλθεν, singular--"someone from James"?] came, he [Cephas] was withdrawing and separating himself, fearing those of the circumcision."

According to Carlson:

The p46 scribe "could have found the singular ἦλθεν in v.12 difficult, because it appears to go
back to the preceding infinitive πρὸ τοῦ γὰρ ἐλθεῖν τινας with its plural subject." The p46 τινα
. . . ἦλθεν combo thus reflects an attempt to "fix the difficulty—by harmonizing the first or the second element..."

Carlson argues convincingly that the better attested τινας (plural) . . . ἦλθεν (singular) combination is the more difficult reading and is more likely the original.
https://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/b ... _11426.pdf

Carlson's critical Greek text translated:

"...for before the coming of some (τινας plural) from James, he [Cephas] was eating with the gentiles, but when he [Cephas] came [ἦλθεν, singular], he [Cephas] was withdrawing and separating himself, fearing those of the circumcision."
gryan

Post by gryan »

Re: William O Walker's thesis that Acts 16:1-3 contains literary echos of Gal 2:1-5. They make sense as echos if the author of Acts knew that Paul circumcised Titus/Timothy as suggested by the Western Text of Gal 2:5.

Here are the echos of Gal 2:1-5 in Acts 16:1-3:

Gal
1Fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem, accompanied by Barnabas. I took Titus along (συμπαραλαβὼν) 2I went in response to a revelation and set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. But I spoke privately to those recognized as leaders, for fear that I was running or had already run in vain. 3But not even Titus who was with me (ὁ σὺν ἐμοί), being a Greek (Ἕλλην ), was compelled to be circumcised, 4 But because of (διὰ δὲ τοὺς) the false brothers who came in beside (οἵτινες παρεισῆλθον) under false pretenses to spy on our freedom in Christ Jesus, in order to enslave us. 5 We yielded in subordination for a time, so that the truth of the gospel would be preserved with you.

Acts 16
1Paul came to Derbe and then to Lystra, where he found a disciple named Timothy, the son of a believing Jewish woman and a Greek (Ἕλληνος) father. 2The brothers in Lystra and Iconium spoke well of him. 3Paul wanted Timothy go forth with him (σὺν αὐτῷ ἐξελθεῖν), so he took him (λαβὼν) and circumcised him because of (διὰ τοὺς) the Jews being in those parts (τοὺς ὄντας ἐν τοῖς τόποις ἐκείνοις), for they all knew that his father was a Greek.

Acts: a Greek (Ἕλληνος) father
Gal: being a Greek (Ἕλλην)

Acts: go forth with him (σὺν αὐτῷ ἐξελθεῖν)
Gal: who was with me (ὁ σὺν ἐμοί)

Acts: so he took him (λαβὼν)
Gal: I took Titus along (συμπαραλαβὼν)

Acts: because of (διὰ τοὺς) the Jews
Gal: because of (διὰ δὲ τοὺς) the false brothers

Acts: being in those parts (τοὺς ὄντας ἐν τοῖς τόποις ἐκείνοις)
Gal: who came in beside (οἵτινες παρεισῆλθον)
gryan

Post by gryan »

Re: Walker’s view (author of Luke-Acts was familiar with Paul’s letters) compared to the majority view (he did not use Paul’s letters).

A case study (not mentioned among the many parallels cited by Walker): The word “withdraw”.

Gal 2:12b
“…he [Cephas/Peter] withdrew (ὑπέστελλεν) and separated himself, because he feared those from the circumcision party.”

Acts 20:20 (Cf Acts 20:27)
“I [Paul] did not draw away (ὑπεστειλάμην) from declaring anything that was helpful to you as I taught you publicly and from house to house”

“The word Paul uses for the first action (“withdraw,” “draw away”) is used twice in his speech in Acts 20, in verses 20 and 27. Both here [in Gal] and in Acts, the focus is very much on withdrawing out of fear and timidity, and not ceremonial purity. Paul’s use in Acts 20 describes how he does not shrink back or withdraw from preaching the gospel.” (High Definition Commentary series: Galatians by Dr. Steve Runge).

By applying Walkers thesis to this passage–that the author of Luke-Acts knew the Epistle to the Galatians–it seems clear that the “Paul” of Acts 2:20 was alluding to the written criticism of Cephas/Peter in Galatians.

For readers as familiar with Galatians as the author of Acts was, the "Paul" of Acts is saying, in effect, "...unlike Cephas/Peter, I did not draw away..."