dating the birth stories?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Bernard Muller

Re: dating the birth stories?

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Cora,
I see you also believe in the OT.
I don't believed in the OT, which is mostly fictional.
I am long since finished with Jahweh, who is the god of the jews. In writing the OT (450 BC according to themselves) they decided to make Jahweh a creator-god.
The OT is not a book, but many of them (about 37-39), written by different literate Jews, along centuries, starting sometimes during the Davidic dynasty up to 164 BC (for Daniel), with many extrapolations.
He was just a primitive god from a primitive people, as many other gods still around. The Ammonites had Moloch, and the Moabites had Chemosh. All primitive religions have ONE GOD.(I know a very interesting book about this). By writing it down they got stuck.
Yes, that's about it.

Cordially, Bernard
cora

Post by cora »

I had promised to react. I don't get it. Is it not possible to write about the fall of the temple after 70? What about 170? Is it not possible to call the Pharisees hypocrites aso after 90? What about right now? Did Marcion take the birth-story out? The birth-story was not even written when Marcion's gospel was brought to the church. What about Irenaeus putting it in?
Comparing them internally as proof of anything cannot be done, if one person had them all. Irenaeus did. This dating is ludicrous, it can be written anytime by an intelligent, educated, greek-speaking, motivated person from the church of rome. Tertullianus is always repeating Irenaeus, being his disciple. Irenaeus had a nice club there: Justin, himself, Tertullianus and Hippolytus. How do I know that? By reading extensively.
Quoting Irenaeus is the dumbest you can do, because Irenaeus wrote/forged the NT. Why don't you read about him instead of of him.
This has no worth whatsoever as you might understand. If your external evidence is of the same level, forget it.

Justin's papers went to Irenaeus in 170. This is a fact. Now I have read them and I have found a lot of Justin in the gospels. Especially in Mark and Mathew and in Revelation. Can you explain that to me? Justin is also in the letters of Paul. Explanation? Did the gospel of Marcion end the same as ours.Or did Irenaeus take the passion of John and placed it over in the synoptics?

If Christ, only in the NT after 450, should then mean Messiah (which it does not exactly) there is a problem as Hakeem said. The messiah of the jews never came. The kingdom of god also did not come. So Jesus was no messiah. And there was also nobody who said he was in reality, if he lived at all. There were no jewish Christians. Should Paul be preaching a jewish messiah in Turkey and Greece? What do they have to do with it? So he did not, he wrote chrestos which is not the same at all. So who was actually the first one who said christos? It must be someone from the church of rome. It could be Justin or Irenaeus. According to Irenaeus it was just a name, Jesus Christ, and he was born that way. So that messiah came from much later. Mathew can be thrown away anyhow, because "the kingdom of heaven" does not exist anywhere.
Somethings to think about, Cora.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Cora,
Is it not possible to write about the fall of the temple after 70? What about 170? Is it not possible to call the Pharisees hypocrites aso after 90?
Yes, it is possible. And that's when the gospels were written.
What about 170?
NO, because about 170,
gMark , which places Jesus' public life under Pilate's rule (26-36 CE) (also as the other gospels):
9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
How could Irenaeus write that when the Kingdom of God obviously had not come yet. That would make Irenaeus dear Jesus a (very) false prophet and a big liar.
Same comment for:
13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Note: "everything done" includes the fall of Jerusalem and: 13:26 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory.

These 2 sayings are repeated in gLuke and gMatthew.
In gMarcion, the first saying is not attested, but the second is modified, taking away the generation of Jesus: "... The heaven and the earth shall in no wise pass away, till all things be accomplished."

The birth-story was not even written when Marcion's gospel was brought to the church
Basilides (120-140) and Valentinus (120-160) commented on the birth stories (Lukan version).
Furthermore, Marcion had theological reasons to cut the birth story and the baptisms by John the Baptist.
I have found a lot of Justin in the gospels. Especially in Mark and Mathew and in Revelation. Can you explain that to me? Justin is also in the letters of Paul. Explanation?
Yes, I can explain that. Justin found a lot in the synoptic gospels, and Paul's letters (not so obvious).
Justin called these gospels "memoirs of the apostles" and sometimes "gospels". Also Justin knew about Revelation, therefore written earlier than Justin's times.
If Christ, only in the NT after 450, should then mean Messiah (which it does not exactly) there is a problem as Hakeem said. The messiah of the jews never came. The kingdom of god also did not come. So Jesus was no messiah.
Of course, Jesus is no messiah, Christ, Son of God, resurrected, in heaven, for not Christians.
But when Paul wrote his epistles (50-57) and the gospels got written (71-100), Jesus was supposed to come back as the Savior.
There were no jewish Christians
Yes, they were according to Paul's letters.
Should Paul be preaching a jewish messiah in Turkey and Greece? What do they have to do with it?
Paul was certainly not stressing that Jewish thing. And "Messiah" got subsituted by "Christ". Also, departing from Jewish Christians beliefs, Paul had Jesus not coming back all the way to earth, placed the kingdom of God in heaven where the good Christians would go, resurrected or alive then, during the Day of the Lord, and remove Jesus as "King".
and So he did not, he wrote chrestos which is not the same at all. So who was actually the first one who said christos? It must be someone from the church of rome.
There is no evidence Paul used Chrestos instead of Christos.
It could be Justin or Irenaeus. According to Irenaeus it was just a name, Jesus Christ, and he was born that way. So that messiah came from much later.
But Irenaeus did it many times (having "Christ" with no "Jesus" attached to it) in Against Heresies, in his preface, section 2 of Against Heresies, in Book 1, Ch 2, section 5 (three times), etc.
Mathew can be thrown away anyhow, because "the kingdom of heaven" does not exist anywhere.
We all know that but that's not a reason to throw away gMatthew.

Cordially, Bernard
Last edited by Bernard Muller on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Cora,
And what is your evidence???? The BIBLE just like I said. The gospels, Paul, etc. This is really pathetic. Proving Jesus from the gospels.
Jesus as Christ or called Christ, and Christians in the 1st century, are proven by the writings of Josephus (short TF), Tacitus, Suetonius and Pliny the Younger. Also "Mark" got to know about eyewitness (mostly Peter) but the testimony (about a human, not divine Jesus) went against Christian beliefs, or not support them. So "Mark" had to use all kind of tricks to remedy to that.
Read http://historical-jesus.info/28.html How did "Mark" handle the known "humble" Jesus testimony conflicting with the later preaching as a divine entity?
Why are they not in Aramaic but in educated greek?
Because the gospels were addressed to Greek speaking audiences.
Why are they not older?
I explained why in my previous post.
And why do they first appear in 185, in the book of Irenaeus?
But a lot of quotes from them or paraphrasing appear before 185, in Justin for example, but also 1 Clement (80-95), the Didache and Revelation (before 97), epistle of Barnabas (97), Aristides (124-140), the Ignatian epistle 'to the Smyrnaeans' (125-145), Basilides (120-140), Valentinus (120-160), 2 Clement (140-160), Ptolemy (around 160).

Cordially, Bernard
Last edited by Bernard Muller on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

Bernard Muller wrote: Jesus as Christ or called Christ, and Christians in the 1st century, are proven by the writings of Josephus (short TF), Tacitus, Suetonius and Pliny the Younger. Also "Mark" got to know about eyewitness (mostly Peter) but the testimony (about a human, not divine Jesus) went against Christian belief, or not support them. So "Mark" had to use all kind of tricks to remedy to that.
The "TF" does not prove that there was a person called Jesus Christ. By the way, there is no such thing as the short "TF".

It must also be noted that Tacitus, Suetonius and Pliny the younger do not mention anyone called Jesus. As clearly stated, in the NT, many persons would be called Christ so it cannot be assumed that the name Christ could only refer to NT Jesus. In fact, in the Gospels it is claimed there was another person who was using the name of Christ in the time of Pilate.

Mark 9. 38-39
And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.

39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

Mark 13:6
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

It must be or most likely that when gMark was written that there were already many persons who were claiming to be Christ.

The mention of characters called Christ does not in anyway prove that there was an actual Jesus of Nazareth.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to hakeem,
By the way, there is no such thing as the short "TF"
By short TF, I meant "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James," from Josephus' Ant., XX, IX, 1
It must also be noted that Tacitus, Suetonius and Pliny the younger do not mention anyone called Jesus.
Only Josephus mentioned "Jesus". The other ones mentioned there were Christians in the first century CE.
Jesus as Christ or called Christ, and Christians in the 1st century, are proven by the writings of Josephus (short TF), Tacitus, Suetonius and Pliny the Younger.

As clearly stated, in the NT, many persons would be called Christ so it cannot be assumed that the name Christ could only refer to NT Jesus.
That rather far-fetched supposition. Certainly Tacitus described his Christus or Chrestus as Jesus:
called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome,

In the NT, as in gMark, some pretended to be Christ, but that was after the destruction of Jerusalem, as a ploy to gather support:
13:6 Many shall come in my name, saying, I am; and shall lead many astray.
13:21-23 And then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is the Christ; or, Lo, there; believe not: for there shall arise false Christs and false prophets, and shall show signs and wonders, that they may lead astray, if possible, the elect. But take ye heed: behold, I have told you all things beforehand.
In fact, in the Gospels it is claimed there was another person who was using the name of Christ in the time of Pilate.
Mk 9:38-39:
John said to him, "Teacher, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he was not following us."
But Jesus said, "Do not forbid him; for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me.

I don't see here that exorcist calling himself Christ. He is just invoking "Jesus" for casting out demons.

Cordially, Bernard
Last edited by Bernard Muller on Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

hakeem wrote:By the way, there is no such thing as the short "TF"
Bernard Muller wrote:By short TF, I meant "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James," from Josephus' Ant., XX, IX, 1
Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1` does not refer to Christians or NT Jesus of Nazareth once the "TF" is a late forgery in Antiquities of the Jews 18.3.3. If Josephus wanted to write about NT Jesus he would have done so in the 18th book his Antiquities when he mentioned John the Baptist and Pilate the Governor of Judea.

The character called Jesus in the 20th book of Josephus' Antiquities lived in the time of Nero when Albinus was Governor.
hakeem wrote: As clearly stated, in the NT, many persons would be called Christ so it cannot be assumed that the name Christ could only refer to NT Jesus
Bernard Muller wrote:That rather far-fetched supposition...
You say does not make sense. The very NT states that many will come claiming to be Christ and in the writings of Christian it is said that there were people who even claim to be God. Justin Martyr claimed there were people in the 1st century before the time of Nero who were called Christians but were not believers in the NT Jesus stories.
Bernard Muller wrote: Certainly Tacitus described his Christus or Chrestus as Jesus:
called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome,
Tacitus' Annals 15.44 is a known forgery or corrupted passage. The words "Christus" and "Christianos" were inserted some time later.

In Sacred History, Sulpitius Severus quotes a passage similar to Tacitus' Annals 15.44 and the phrase " Christus, from whom the name had its origin" is missing.

Sulpitius Severus Sacred History 2 .29
And in fact, Nero could not by any means he tried escape from the charge that the fire had been caused by his orders. He therefore turned the accusation against the Christians, and the most cruel tortures were accordingly inflicted upon the innocent

Also, it is a fact that in the extant copy of Tacitus' Annals the word ChrEstianos was manipulated into ChrIstianos.

In addition, Tacitus also wrote in his Histories 5.13 that the Jews expected their Messianic ruler at around cc 66 CE or at the time of the Jewish War against the Romans .

Tacitus's Annals 15.44 is a confirmed forgery using Christian and non-apologetic writings.

Bernard Muller wrote: In the NT, as in gMark, some pretended to be Christ, but that was after the destruction of Jerusalem, as a ploy to gather support
Again, what you say does not make sense. Jospehus in his "War of the Jews" stated that the the very war was fought because it was believed the prophesied Jewish Messiah would emerge at that time [before the fall of the Temple].

Wars of the Jews 6.5.4
But now, what did the most elevate them in undertaking this war, was an ambiguous oracle that was also found in their sacred writings, how," about that time, one from their country should become governor of the habitable earth." The Jews took this prediction to belong to themselves in particular, and many of the wise men were thereby deceived in their determination..

The evidence is clear. There was no NT Jesus Christ and hence no Christians of such a cult up to the writing of Tacitus' "Histories" or no earlier than c 105 CE.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to hakeem,
Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1` does not refer to Christians or NT Jesus of Nazareth once the "TF" is a late forgery in Antiquities of the Jews 18.3.3. If Josephus wanted to write about NT Jesus he would have done so in the 18th book his Antiquities when he mentioned John the Baptist and Pilate the Governor of Judea.
Here, Jesus is just named for identifying Jame, I don't see why, at that conjecture, Josephus should mentioned Christians and "of Nazareth". And that Jesus is not any Jesus. He is the the one called Christ.
With Ant.18.3.3 being a forgery, it is obvious Josephus had no desire to write about Jesus. Josephus was not a Christian, that would explain it.
The character called Jesus in the 20th book of Josephus' Antiquities lived in the time of Nero when Albinus was Governor.
That's not what Jews 20.9.1 says. James was alive during the time of Nero and Festus (not Albinus). That does not mean that his brother lived at that time also.
For example, in Ant. book XX, ch 8, section 1, we have:
Germanicus, the brother of Caesar[Claudius]
Germanicus was long dead (19 CE) when Claudius was emperor (41-54 CE).
The very NT states that many will come claiming to be Christ
I already explained that at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7690&start=180#p119718
Justin Martyr claimed there were people in the 1st century before the time of Nero who were called Christians but were not believers in the NT Jesus stories.
Dialogue whith Trypho, ch. XXXV
And Trypho said, "I believe, however, that many of those who say that they confess Jesus, and are called Christians, eat meats offered to idols, and declare that they are by no means injured in consequence." And I replied, "The fact that there are such men confessing themselves to be Christians, and admitting the crucified Jesus to be both Lord and Christ, yet not teaching His doctrines, but those of the spirits of error, causes us who are disciples of the true and pure doctrine of Jesus Christ, to be more faithful and stedfast in the hope announced by Him.

So according to Justin, those Christians are guilty of not teaching Jesus' doctrines. That does not mean these Christians rejected the gospels Jesus' stories.
In Sacred History, Sulpitius Severus quotes a passage similar to Tacitus' Annals 15.44 and the phrase " Christus, from whom the name had its origin" is missing.
And in fact, Nero could not by any means he tried escape from the charge that the fire had been caused by his orders. He therefore turned the accusation against the Christians, and the most cruel tortures were accordingly inflicted upon the innocent

Why do you expect that Severus (c. 363 – c. 425) to repeat everything written by Tacitus, including the origins of the word "Christian"?
BTW, Severus has 'Christianos' in the Latin of Sacred History 2 .29
Also, it is a fact that in the extant copy of Tacitus' Annals the word ChrEstianos was manipulated into ChrIstianos.
From Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ
In 1902 Georg Andresen commented on the appearance of the first 'i' and subsequent gap in the earliest extant, 11th century, copy of the Annals in Florence, suggesting that the text had been altered, and an 'e' had originally been in the text, rather than this 'i'.[16] "With ultra-violet examination of the MS the alteration was conclusively shown. It is impossible today to say who altered the letter e into an i. In Suetonius' Nero 16.2, 'christiani', however, seems to be the original reading".[17] Since the alteration became known it has given rise to debates among scholars as to whether Tacitus deliberately used the term "Chrestians", or if a scribe made an error during the Middle Ages.[18][19] It has been stated that both the terms Christians and Chrestians had at times been used by the general population in Rome to refer to early Christians.[20]

However, Tacitus used "Christus" instead of "Chrestus".
In addition, Tacitus also wrote in his Histories 5.13 that the Jews expected their Messianic ruler at around cc 66 CE or at the time of the Jewish War against the Romans .
Jesus, as the Messiah (King of the Jew), dead but resurrected and saved in heaven, and expected to come back to be the earthly ruling Messiah, was believed after 30 CE by a small number of Jews.
That would not prevent many Jews to expect a Messiah to come around 66 CE in order to defeat those nasty Romans.
Tacitus's Annals 15.44 is a confirmed forgery using Christian and non-apologetic writings.
That's a theory with very few adepts. And of course, any Mythicist would want to eliminate this passage from Annals.

Cordially, Bernard
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

hakeem wrote:Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1` does not refer to Christians or NT Jesus of Nazareth once the "TF" is a late forgery in Antiquities of the Jews 18.3.3. If Josephus wanted to write about NT Jesus he would have done so in the 18th book his Antiquities when he mentioned John the Baptist and Pilate the Governor of Judea.
Bernard Muller wrote:Here, Jesus is just named for identifying Jame, I don't see why, at that conjecture, Josephus should mentioned Christians and "of Nazareth". And that Jesus is not any Jesus. He is the the one called Christ.
Jews called many persons Christ [the anointed]. Jewish Kings and High Priest were called "Christ" [the anointed]. The Jesus in Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1 was alive in the time of Albinus. It is documented that there was an High Priest by the name of Jesus in the time of Nero.
Bernard Muller wrote:With Ant.18.3.3 being a forgery, it is obvious Josephus had no desire to write about Jesus. Josephus was not a Christian, that would explain it.
You have only contradicted yourself. If Josephus did not want to write about NT Jesus then he did not in Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1.
hakeem wrote:The character called Jesus in the 20th book of Josephus' Antiquities lived in the time of Nero when Albinus was Governor.
Bernard Mueller wrote: That's not what Jews 20.9.1 says. James was alive during the time of Nero and Festus (not Albinus). That does not mean that his brother lived at that time also.
Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1 does not say Jesus called Christ was dead. It states that Jesus was made High Priest by Albinus.

Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1
Whereupon Albinus complied with what they said, and wrote in anger to Ananus, and threatened that he would bring him to punishment for what he had done; on which king Agrippa took the high priesthood from him, when he had ruled but three months, and made Jesus, the son of Damneus, high priest.

It is documented that Jews called their High Priest by the title of Christ.

Eusebius Church History 1.3.7.
And not only those who were honored with the high priesthood, and who for the sake of the symbol were anointed with especially prepared oil, were adorned with the name of Christ among the Hebrews, but also the kings whom the prophets anointed under the influence of the divine Spirit, and thus constituted, as it were, typical Christs.

Bernard Muller wrote: For example, in Ant. book XX, ch 8, section 1, we have:
Germanicus, the brother of Caesar[Claudius]
Germanicus was long dead (19 CE) when Claudius was emperor (41-54 CE).
I am extremely happy that you mention Germanicus in Ant. XX ch.8 and that he was already dead in the time of Albinus.

But, you forgot to tell me that it was Josephus who stated Gemanicus was dead in the very same Antiquities 18.2.5.

Antiquities of the Jews 18.2.5p
So the senate made a decree that Germanicus should be sent to settle the affairs of the East, fortune hereby taking a proper opportunity for depriving him of his life; for when he had been in the East, and settled all affairs there, his life was taken away by the poison which Piso gave him, as hath been related elsewhere

There is no mention in any writings of Josephus that Jesus called Christ was dead but that Jesus was made High Priest under Albinus.
hakeem wrote:The very NT states that many will come claiming to be Christ
Bernard Muller wrote:I already explained that at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7690&start=180#p119718
Your explanation does not make sense.
hakeem wrote:Justin Martyr claimed there were people in the 1st century before the time of Nero who were called Christians but were not believers in the NT Jesus stories.
Bernard Mueller wrote: Dialogue whith Trypho, ch. XXXV
And Trypho said, "I believe, however, that many of those who say that they confess Jesus, and are called Christians, eat meats offered to idols, and declare that they are by no means injured in consequence." And I replied, "The fact that there are such men confessing themselves to be Christians, and admitting the crucified Jesus to be both Lord and Christ, yet not teaching His doctrines, but those of the spirits of error, causes us who are disciples of the true and pure doctrine of Jesus Christ, to be more faithful and stedfast in the hope announced by Him.

So according to Justin, those Christians are guilty of not teaching Jesus' doctrines. That does not mean these Christians rejected the gospels Jesus' stories.
Again, thanks for quoting Justin's Dialogue with Trypho XXXV.

You forgot to mention the very next passage.

Justin has destroyed you.

Dialogue with Trypho
'There shall be schisms and heresies.' And, 'Beware of false prophets, who shall come to you clothed outwardly in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.' And, 'Many false Christs and false apostles shall arise, and shall deceive many of the faithful.'

There are, therefore, and there were many, my friends, who, coming forward in the name of Jesus, taught both to speak and act impious and blasphemous things; and these are called by us after the name of the men from whom each doctrine and opinion had its origin.

(For some in one way, others in another, teach to blaspheme the Maker of all things, and Christ, who was foretold by Him as coming, and the God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, with whom we have nothing in common, since we know them to be atheists, impious, unrighteous, and sinful, and confessors of Jesus in name only, instead of worshippers of Him. Yet they style themselves Christians...

hakeem wrote:In Sacred History, Sulpitius Severus quotes a passage similar to Tacitus' Annals 15.44 and the phrase " Christus, from whom the name had its origin" is missing.

Bernard Muller wrote: Why do you expect that Severus (c. 363 – c. 425) to repeat everything written by Tacitus, including the origins of the word "Christian"?
BTW, Severus has 'Christianos' in the Latin of Sacred History 2 .29
Why do you expect Josephus and Tacitus to write about Christ when they were not even Christians?

I expected Christians to write that Tacitus mentioned their Christ in their Sacred History but they could not. There was none.

By the way, The Vaticanus Codex written before "Sacred History" has CHREISTIANOS in Acts 11.26.

hakeem wrote:Also, it is a fact that in the extant copy of Tacitus' Annals the word ChrEstianos was manipulated into ChrIstianos.
Bernard Mueller wrote: From Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ
In 1902 Georg Andresen commented on the appearance of the first 'i' and subsequent gap in the earliest extant, 11th century, copy of the Annals in Florence, suggesting that the text had been altered, and an 'e' had originally been in the text, rather than this 'i'.[16] "With ultra-violet examination of the MS the alteration was conclusively shown. It is impossible today to say who altered the letter e into an i. In Suetonius' Nero 16.2, 'christiani', however, seems to be the original reading".[17] Since the alteration became known it has given rise to debates among scholars as to whether Tacitus deliberately used the term "Chrestians", or if a scribe made an error during the Middle Ages.[18][19] It has been stated that both the terms Christians and Chrestians had at times been used by the general population in Rome to refer to early Christians.[20]

However, Tacitus used "Christus" instead of "Chrestus".
I have already shown you that Tacitus' Annals did not contain the word Christus or Chrestus when Sulpitius Severus quoted the passage in Sacred History 2.29.

Christus was inserted later and ChrEstianos changed to ChrIstianos as confirmed under utra-violet light.

If ChrIstianos and ChrEstianos were used interchangeably then there would be no need to change the E to an I.
hakeem wrote:]In addition, Tacitus also wrote in his Histories 5.13 that the Jews expected their Messianic ruler at around cc 66 CE or at the time of the Jewish War against the Romans .
Bernard Mueller wrote:Jesus, as the Messiah (King of the Jew), dead but resurrected and saved in heaven, and expected to come back to be the earthly ruling Messiah, was believed after 30 CE by a small number of Jews.
That would not prevent many Jews to expect a Messiah to come around 66 CE in order to defeat those nasty Romans.
What small number are you talking about?? You have resorted to inventing your own stories about Jesus. Christian writers stated that there were thousands of Jews who believed Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah and that the supposed Paul and others were evangelizing Spain, Rome, Corinth, Ephesus, Philippi, Colosse, Thessalonica and Galatia long before the War of the Jews.
hakeem wrote:Tacitus's Annals 15.44 is a confirmed forgery using Christian and non-apologetic writings.
Bernard Mueller wrote:That's a theory with very few adepts. And of course, any Mythicist would want to eliminate this passage from Annals.
You mean Sulpitius Severus was a Mythicist? Historicists can't even get Christians to write about their own Christ in their History.

It is not only Severus in Sacred History who knew nothing about Tacitus mentioning Christ but also Eusebius when he wrote the History of the Church.

And even worse Tertullian, referring to the Histories of Cornelius Tacitus does not use Annals to argue against Marcion to prove his Christ was a figure of history and not a phantom.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Hakeem,
I have already shown you that Tacitus' Annals did not contain the word Christus or Chrestus when Sulpitius Severus quoted the passage in Sacred History 2.29.
Severus did not quote the whole passage, just a short abbreviation of it.
Jews called many persons Christ [the anointed].
I went through that already, Don't you read my posts?
Jewish Kings and High Priest were called "Christ" [the anointed]. The Jesus in Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1 was alive in the time of Albinus.
First it is Festus, no Albinus. James was alive then, but that does not mean Jesus was not dead then.
It is documented that there was an High Priest by the name of Jesus in the time of Nero.
So what. Did that Jesus called Christ?
Also James having Jesus as brother (by then dead) is documented in Galatians.
If Josephus did not want to write about NT Jesus then he did not in Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1.
How many times I have to tell you that Jesus called Christ in Ant. 20.9.1 is only to identify James.
Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1 does not say Jesus called Christ was dead.
Josephus did not have to specify that. When Paul wrote 1 Thessalonians in 50 CE, he said Jesus was dead (4:14, 5:10).
It states that Jesus was made High Priest by Albinus.
That's another Jesus altogether.
I am extremely happy that you mention Germanicus in Ant. XX ch.8 and that he was already dead in the time of Albinus.
But, you forgot to tell me that it was Josephus who stated Gemanicus was dead in the very same Antiquities 18.2.5
Antiquities of the Jews 18.2.5p
So the senate made a decree that Germanicus should be sent to settle the affairs of the East, fortune hereby taking a proper opportunity for depriving him of his life; for when he had been in the East, and settled all affairs there, his life was taken away by the poison which Piso gave him, as hath been related elsewhere
So what do you draw from that?
It is documented that Jews called their High Priest by the title of Christ.
Eusebius Church History 1.3.7.
And not only those who were honored with the high priesthood, and who for the sake of the symbol were anointed with especially prepared oil, were adorned with the name of Christ among the Hebrews, but also the kings whom the prophets anointed under the influence of the divine Spirit, and thus constituted, as it were, typical Christs.
But did Josephus write that Jesus, son of Damneus, was called Christ?
You forgot to mention the very next passage.
Justin related to passages (out of context) from the gospels to say Jesus warned against 2nd century Christian "heretics", such as Marcion.
Why do you expect Josephus and Tacitus to write about Christ when they were not even Christians?
Why writers wrote about Trump even if they are not among his followers?
Again, Josephus wrote "Jesus called Christ" to identify James. That's it.
Tacitus wrote about Christian/Chrestian and Christus as part of his description of the great fire in Rome and Nero's reaction to it.
Both Josephus and Tacitus did not have to be Christian to write that.
I expected Christians to write that Tacitus mentioned their Christ in their Sacred History but they could not. There was none.
Tacitus mentioned that the Christians' beliefs were: most mischievous superstition ... the first source of the evil ... where all things hideous and shameful
Nothing sacred to be told.
Again and again I explained that Severus did not quote the whole of Tacitus' passage, only a short abbreviation of it.
Christian writers stated that there were thousands of Jews who believed Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah
Very likely an exageration. Anyway three thousands is rather small compared with about 60,000 to 80,000 living in Jerusalem then.
You mean Sulpitius Severus was a Mythicist?
I did not say that.
And even worse Tertullian, referring to the Histories of Cornelius Tacitus does not use Annals to argue against Marcion to prove his Christ was a figure of history and not a phantom.
Marcion did not describe the earthly Jesus as a phantom in his gospel. Just that Jesus came to earth differently that normal human. And he was crucified.
Tacitus had nothing which would indicate Christus came to earth without being birthed by a woman.

Cordially, Bernard