Why don't the ancient writers date their writings?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Roger Pearse

Re: Why don't the ancient writers date their writings?

Post by Roger Pearse »

Cheerful Charlie wrote:Ab urbe condita (related to Anno Urbis Conditae: AUC or a.u.c. or a.u.)[1] is a Latin phrase meaning "from the founding of the City (Rome)",[2] traditionally dated to 753 BC. AUC is a year-numbering system used by some ancient Roman historians to identify particular Roman years.
I was wondering who *does* use AUC in antiquity?

All the best,

Roger Pearse
Taws

Post by Taws »

The "foe" or what I saw in Christian chat rooms as "block" meant that not only you could not read their posts but that they could not read your posts. If that is the same here; I shall chose my posts very carefully; because I can't learn anything from people who only agree with me, or have the same limitations of information as myself. In the chat rooms; most christians who learned or aquired their "faith" and beliefs through what was spoon fed them from the pulpit (unquestioningly); chose to foe/block anyone who questioned the infalliblity of the bible as the "word of God" (that is from God's mouth to their ears; or God's words to that which is written in the book).
Whenever, I questioned something as simple as "since Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are names given the 4 gospels by later editors, and not necessarily the names of the actual writer"; I was blocked by some because it questioned their faith and the infallibility of the book.

I came here to learn; and am greatfull especially for the list of Early Christian Writings; so I will attempt to chose my words very carefully, so I don't lose the privilege of reading many useful posts.

We do seem to get a bit testy when people question our posts. I didn't expect the same attitude here.

Taws
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Taws wrote:The "foe" or what I saw in Christian chat rooms as "block" meant that not only you could not read their posts but that they could not read your posts.
Interesting: is that the case here also, I wonder? But I don't think it is. (It will be a platform question).
Cheerful Charlie

Post by Cheerful Charlie »

Roger Pearse wrote:
Cheerful Charlie wrote:Ab urbe condita (related to Anno Urbis Conditae: AUC or a.u.c. or a.u.)[1] is a Latin phrase meaning "from the founding of the City (Rome)",[2] traditionally dated to 753 BC. AUC is a year-numbering system used by some ancient Roman historians to identify particular Roman years.
I was wondering who *does* use AUC in antiquity?

All the best,

Roger Pearse
I don't know. I cannot recall AUC on any ancient Latin or Greek religious manuscript translation I ever read.

Cheerful Charlie
Cheerful Charlie - Strong atheist and jolly well proud of it.