"I lie not": Combining Gal 1:20 with 2 Cor 11:31

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

"I lie not": Combining Gal 1:20 with 2 Cor 11:31

Post by gryan »

Paul's twin claims--"I lie not--in Gal 1:20 and in 2 Cor 11:31 have several parallels.

1) Association with a Place: "Damascus" is part of the scenario
2) A time span of "fourteen years" frames key events
3) An event: "revelation"

But there is something else I noticed as I was doing my comparison and contrast:

Gal 1:20

ἕτερον δὲ τῶν ἀποστόλων οὐκ εἶδον, εἰ μὴ Ἰάκωβον τὸν ἀδελφὸν τοῦ Κυρίου. ἃ δὲ γράφω ὑμῖν, ἰδοὺ ἐνώπιον τοῦ Θεοῦ ὅτι οὐ ψεύδομαι.
But I saw none of the other apostles except James the brother of the Lord. And the things that I write to you, behold, before God that I lie not (οὐ ψεύδομαι)

2 Cor 11:31

ὁ Θεὸς καὶ Πατὴρ τοῦ Κυρίου Ἰησοῦ οἶδεν, ὁ ὢν εὐλογητὸς εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας, ὅτι οὐ ψεύδομαι.
The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, he who is blessed forever, sees that I lie not (οὐ ψεύδομαι).

Paul's witnesses include a human being called, "brother of the Lord," and a divine being called "Father of the Lord."

I assume this last parallel is accidental, but is it a meaningful accident?

My mind flips to Matthew 16:17 and the words of blessing attributed to Jesus: "...this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by My Father in heaven." (Cf. Gal. "I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood...")

Assuming that Galatians was circulated among the author/s of Matthew's M source (and they wanted to make Peter look equally as blessed as Paul), I see not only an echo of Galatians in Matthew, but more importantly for my exegesis of NT Galatians--If Paul did consult "with flesh and blood" when he saw the blood "brother" of the Lord, he could have received confirmation from James that the "revelation" was surely not from a human source in words something like this: "this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by our Father in heaven."

Thus, two of Paul's key witnesses--the Lord's blood brother and his heavenly Father--can be harmonized using a form of blessing associated with Peter, a third key witness (I'm aware of course that no such thing is attested in Marcion's canon, and Paul could have been lying).

Thoughts?
gryan

Re: "I lie not": Combining Gal 1:20 with 2 Cor 11:31

Post by gryan »

gryan wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:40 am Paul's twin claims--"I lie not--in Gal 1:20 and in 2 Cor 11:31 have several parallels.

1) Association with a Place: "Damascus" is part of the scenario
2) A time span of "fourteen years" frames key events
3) An event: "revelation"
4) Counter-claims of "psuedobrothers" (“ψευδάδελφος", a word used only twice in the NT, Gal 2:4 and 2 Cor 11:26)
Last edited by gryan on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
gryan

Re: "I lie not": Combining Gal 1:20 with 2 Cor 11:31

Post by gryan »

This thread is dedicated to the great and still alive, John Dominic Crossan:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dominic_Crossan

I started my first thread on this forum--"Paul only / Damascus chronology"--in the summer of 2018:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4225

This was in preparation for a weekend retreat led by Crossan later that summer:
https://pendlehill.org/events/challenge ... istianity/

Crossan is undoubtedly the most brilliant, influential historical Paul scholar I've ever dined at the same table with.