On dating the Gnostic literature after 325 CE

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: On dating the Gnostic literature after 325 CE

Post by MrMacSon »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
MrMacSon wrote:Of course the Gnostics are considered heretical, and they're not really 'Christian'.
OK. Are you able to view them as extremely well educated pagan authors who were in the generation that witnessed Constantine's army and Bible rolling into Alexandria c.324/325 CE?
No, I'm not able to view the texts or their authors as that.

You seem to want to categorise this stuff very narrowly.
IMO the orthodoxy who preserved the early manuscripts has fabricated by interpolation and forgery an extremely complex web of lies about the chronology of the heretical literature. The purpose of this fabricated chronology IMO was to divert historical attention away from the massive controversy that ensued in the generation which witnessed the first reception of the Bible into political history. This controversy included the authorship of the non canonical texts and their prohibition.
That is very hard to follow - as andrewbos said, it seems unconvincing & contrived.

add: I couldn't work out what disconcerted me; then I realised - it's letting non-christian texts be framed or categorised by Christians or Christian orthodoxy
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

andrewbos wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:IMO the orthodoxy who preserved the early manuscripts has fabricated by interpolation and forgery an extremely complex web of lies about the chronology of the heretical literature. The purpose of this fabricated chronology IMO was to divert historical attention away from the massive controversy that ensued in the generation which witnessed the first reception of the Bible into political history. This controversy included the authorship of the non canonical texts and their prohibition.
The way you explain all this fabrication seems to me rather contrived and unconvincing.
It seems you are implying (correct me where I go wrong) that prior to the introduction of the Constantine bible there was hardly any christian literature with much scriptural authority used in the christian communities and hence little need for the more gnostic groups to write anything at all for their own communities?
I am implying that the Christian communities preserved the canonical books during the ante-Nicene epoch. These were used as scriptural authority alone, and there were as yet no "Christian Gnostic groups" at all. The Christian Bible was not popular during this period. Not too many people had taken the time to read it. It was just another cult in the Roman Empire and a very minor underground cult.

There were however a great many non Christian gnostic groups which preserved their own literature. At the top of the list I put the Platonists as gnostics. They had preserved the canonical books of Plato and had received imperial sponsorship in the later 3rd century under Galenius. There were other philosophical and mystery schools and cults in the Roman Empire which had their own literature, but none of it concerned the Christian bible.

So all of a sudden these gnostic groups felt they should also have authoritative scriptures where they used none before because the orthodox scriptures became more firmly connected to the political power?
The idea here being explored is that all of a sudden every single philosophical school and mystery cult in the Eastern Empire c.325 CE, particularly at Alexandria and Antioch, were essentially lost any religious privileges. Constantine ordered that all religious privileges were reserved for the Christians. So for example the Platonists found themselves in the position that the emperor had just ordered that their own books (the books of Plato) were to be abandoned, and instead everyone was to study and worship the NT Bible. In fact by ordering the books of Porphyry to be burnt Constantine was actually burning the books of the

At this point there were no Gnostic Gospels and no Gnostic Acts and no non canonical literature. All this literature was authored by non Christian authors, particularly Platonists, as a political reaction to Constantine's imposition of the NT Bible as a VERY VERY IMPORTANT and SACRED CODEX in the East.

How likely is it that such a large body of diverse gnostic scriptures would have been fabricated in such a short time span?
Obviously the answer will depend upon the political environment. I am suggesting were are really looking at Constantine as a military dictator, and his empire as a military dictatorship that was basically unconcerned about the pre-existent religious milieu and all the various forms of philosophical and proto-scientific knowledge. It was established first in the major cities of the empire and slowly moved out to cover other minor cities, leaving the country dwellers - the pagani - out of the process for the time being. We are looking at Constantine's Christian Revolution as a dictatorship. It was suppressive and intolerant. Think Stalin.

The large body of diverse gnostic scriptures IMO were all authored in a decade between 325 and 336 CE, during the rule of Constantine. They really need to be looked at one by one and categorised. For example there are sayings lists like Thomas and Sextus. These are preserving philosophical knowledge which would otherwise not be written as such a massive juncture in the history of Greek and Latin literature. The author of Thomas simply puts his own philosophical aphorisms into the mouth of Constantine's Jesus, which most of the population of the east had never heard of before the Bible Codex was wheeled in to Alexandria. The Bible had been underground. When it surfaced in a political context, it was earnestly and very critically examined by the entire generation of Alexandria.

As such we only need a very small timeframe to generate a mass of diverse literature related to the SACRED CODEX manufactured by Constantine. This small timeframe elegantly explains the history of the use of the nomina sacra in the non canonical literature, and its almost universal consistency. The one generation which wrote and produced the "Christian gnostic literature" simply copied the nomina sacra convention employed in Constantine's Bible (think Vaticanus, Sinaticus, Alexandrinus).

And how would the orthodox religious authorities consider all of these new gnostic scriptures to be a threat if just a few years earlier no religious community had ever heard of them?
The threat of this new gnostic literature was simply that it was not the Official Story in the Emperor's little red codex. It was upstart literature being authored by opportunists and dissenters. The orthodoxy Constantine wanted to establish all revolved around one specific codex. The NT Bible. Other pubications of any other alternative "Jesus and the Apostles" stories would be considered to be against the majesty of the emperor. Their authors would be considered to be committing treason against the emperor if they went against his authority in producing high quality Greek Jesus Stories. The new gnostic scriptures were highly academic Greek literary creations. The exhibit literary borrowings from other philosophical schools and Homer.

These stories may have circulated via the theatres in Alexandria. They were certainly suppressed and prohibited and burnt by the orthodoxy during this decade. Eventually we find these stories being translated into Coptic (c.348 CE) many hundreds of miles up the Nile. The Pachomian monastic system seems to have manufactured the Nag Hammadi Codices which only a decade before were circulating in Greek in Alexandria. These Greek copies were hunted down and eliminated from public viewing by order of the Emperor. The history of the INDEX LIBRORUM PROHIBITORUM goes back the rule of Constantine.

SUMMARY

I am putting forward for discussion and criticism a new paradigm in the chronology of early Christian non canonical writings. I am allowing any modern theory of the authorship of the NT Bible to be true and that according to any theory find its way into the hands of the Emperor Constantine who published it far and wide. The new paradigm is that there were no early Christian non canonical writings before this event. The idea is that all this literature was written during the rule of Constantine as sole Emperor (dictator).

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Leucius Charinus

Peter Kirby wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:Why did Gregory of Nazianzus and Basil interpolated "Origen" to lay a false "Early trail" about the 4th century appearance of the Clementine literature?

Can you answer that question at all? It makes little sense for these two 4th century orthodox writers to interpolate Origen, but they did interpolate Origen and
Leucius Charinus wrote:for the purpose, it would seem, that the reader of Origen would consequently assume that Origen knew about the Clementine literature in the 3rd century.
That is not a very intelligent assumption.
Well then you offer an alternative explanation ...

What was the motive of the 4th century interpolators ?

I should have taken my own hint and stayed out of this thread. You are indeed helpless and a waste of time.
I have defended my position with respect to the evidence you kindly provided above.

What sample objections do you have to any of these defences?

It should never be a waste of time discussing the evaluation of the evidence.

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Leucius Charinus wrote: I am implying that the Christian communities preserved the canonical books during the ante-Nicene epoch. These were used as scriptural authority alone, and there were as yet no "Christian Gnostic groups" at all. The Christian Bible was not popular during this period. Not too many people had taken the time to read it. It was just another cult in the Roman Empire and a very minor underground cult.

There were however a great many non Christian gnostic groups which preserved their own literature. At the top of the list I put the Platonists as gnostics. They had preserved the canonical books of Plato and had received imperial sponsorship in the later 3rd century under Galenius. There were other philosophical and mystery schools and cults in the Roman Empire which had their own literature, but none of it concerned the Christian bible.
This seems too black and white; ie. implying Gnostic literature was either "Christian gnostic" or "non-Christian gnostic" is too black and white.
Last edited by MrMacSon on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leucius Charinus

MrMacSon wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:IMO the orthodoxy who preserved the early manuscripts has fabricated by interpolation and forgery an extremely complex web of lies about the chronology of the heretical literature. The purpose of this fabricated chronology IMO was to divert historical attention away from the massive controversy that ensued in the generation which witnessed the first reception of the Bible into political history. This controversy included the authorship of the non canonical texts and their prohibition.
That is very hard to follow - as andrewbos said, it seems unconvincing & contrived.
Thanks I have responded to andrewbos.
add: I couldn't work out what disconcerted me; then I realised - it's letting non-christian texts be framed or categorised by Christians or Christian orthodoxy
I am sorry but I don't understand that. What does it mean. Do you have an example?

LC
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

The single most obvious common sense objection, all particulars of the evidence and other bogus assumptions aside, is still that it makes no sense for a massive and deliberate falsification and fabrication of documents aiming to prove that your opponents came about two centuries before they actually did. What would have happened on the hypothesis-- and to use a Bayesian model, I'm giving it a 99.5% conditional probability of having happened-- is that the opponents of this literature would have pointed out its VERY recent origin, KNOWN to people in the fourth century, which necessarily damns it in the ancient world, while pointing out the superiority of their own, more ancient literature, attributed to first century apostles.

NOBODY made this claim in antiquity, and ALL of them on record made the claim that this heresy started from the second century or earlier, SHOWING beyond a reasonable doubt that literature such as the Gospel of Peter and so on DID NOT come from the fourth century.

Indeed "they" did attempt to make the heresy look recent, if "they" are the ones who wrote the books of Irenaeus, Hippolytus, Tertullian, and so on, but the tactic that "they" took was to argue that this heresy DID NOT APPEAR before, approximately, the reign of HADRIAN, shortly after the death of the last APOSTLES, according to them, when it would have been MORE EFFECTIVE and MORE PERSUASIVE to claim that the literature appeared in the FOURTH CENTURY, if that is what did happen.

What is all so readily apparent regarding the NONSENSICAL position taken is that it arises IDIOSYNCRATICALLY from the meanderings of one Pete Brown, who FORMERLY promoted the view that the New Testament had its origin in the fourth century, and EMBARRASSED to defend it any further but UNWILLING to give up his attachment to being able to find some kind of desperately-desired NOVEL HYPOTHESIS regarding the wholesale dating of a class of ancient Christian literature to the fourth century, has thus INVENTED another one that he somehow believes is more credible and defensible, that he might have something to talk about.

(By the way, it sure is FUN to talk in the RANDOM CAPS of early modern literature, and it is NO WONDER that they did it!)

Against this we have heard some noise about nomina sacra and the works of Origen, several of which were indeed edited and revised (as is well known) after he was branded a heretic, which can account for the occasional insertion of foreign material but which in no way supports the hypothesis of a deliberate fourth century falsification regarding the question of the age of the non-canonical literature. Hopefully there is something better than that to hang a hat on, but you shouldn't really expect it, since it never happened.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Leucius Charinus

MrMacSon wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote: I am implying that the Christian communities preserved the canonical books during the ante-Nicene epoch. These were used as scriptural authority alone, and there were as yet no "Christian Gnostic groups" at all. The Christian Bible was not popular during this period. Not too many people had taken the time to read it. It was just another cult in the Roman Empire and a very minor underground cult.

This seems too black and white; ie. implying Gnostic literature was "Christian gnostic" or "non-Christian gnostic" is too black and white.
Thanks very much MrMacSon.

I have been attempting to sketch the emergence of a very black and white Centralised Monotheistic Christian State c.325 CE.

Constantine wanted to convert Alexandria to the Christian religious cult which worshipped the canonical books. Before he arrived they were pagans. They had NOT written about Jesus or anything found within the canonical books. The Bible was hardly even read by the pagans until Nicaea. Then and only then did the politics of the canonical Jesus story become a matter of great interest - vital interest. But Constantine's doctrines were not openly challenged in his rule. We can only imagine what sort of a dictator he may have been.

And yet Constantine was the legal Pontifex Maximus. He had the right to choose his own god and for form of his own god. He chose a sacred name in a sacred codex to be the name of the new god in the Roman Empire - Jesus Christ or Jesus Chrest. At that time OPPOSITION STORIES began to be authored in Alexandria, as set out in the OP. These stories were burnt and prohibited and classed as the writings of heretics during the rest of Constantine's rule (325-337 CE). It was very black and white.

LC
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Leucius Charinus wrote: I have been attempting to sketch the emergence of a very black and white Centralised Monotheistic Christian State c.325 CE.

Constantine wanted to convert Alexandria to the Christian religious cult which worshipped the canonical books. Before he arrived they were pagans. They had NOT written about Jesus or anything found within the canonical books. The Bible was hardly even read by the pagans until Nicaea.
Who is "they"? (as in "They had NOT written about Jesus or anything found within the canonical books.")
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Leucius Charinus wrote: .... Constantine was the legal Pontifex Maximus. He had the right to choose his own god and [or] form of his own god.
As Ptolemy I Soter had done?
Leucius Charinus wrote:He chose a sacred name in a sacred codex to be the name of the new god in the Roman Empire - Jesus Christ or Jesus Chrest. At that time OPPOSITION STORIES began to be authored in Alexandria, as set out in the OP. These stories were burnt and prohibited and classed as "the writings of heretics" during the rest of Constantine's rule (325-337 CE).
LC
Ok. You're a bit clearer now.

But I understand parody was a thing, or had been a thing for a while.
Leucius Charinus

Peter Kirby wrote:The single most obvious common sense objection, all particulars of the evidence and other bogus assumptions aside, is still that it makes no sense for a massive and deliberate falsification and fabrication of documents aiming to prove that your opponents came about two centuries before they actually did.
Fifth century orthodox imperially sponsored victors wrote the history of Nicaea and the Christian revolution of the 4th century. The motive was to retroject the massive controversy over the Bible into an earlier epoch, and therefore claim that the controversies were old. I have described a political situation in which the Constantinian Christian state had dictatorial control over the preservation and destruction of literature. Massive and deliberate falsification and fabrication of documents were the modus operandi on both sides of the conflict. The anti-Imperial resistance against the Christian revolution fabricated Jesus stories. The imperial orthodoxy fabricated a pseudo-history for their appearance. It took the heat off the reality of the history the controversy over the reception of the Bible at Alexandria in Constantine's rule. The orthodoxy did not want to document this controversy. The less controversy the better the canonical books would look. So they made the controversy an old one. They had an almost monopolistic control of the cities and as a result the literature of that epoch.

Above I have attempted to provide a motive for this massive fabrication.

What would have happened on the hypothesis-- and to use a Bayesian model, I'm giving it a 99.5% conditional probability of having happened-- is that the opponents of this literature would have pointed out its VERY recent origin, KNOWN to people in the fourth century, which necessarily damns it in the ancient world, while pointing out the superiority of their own, more ancient literature, attributed to first century apostles.

IMO that is precisely what happened. The opponents of the gnostic unofficial seditious Jesus STories were the imperial canon following orthodoxy which was backed by the Emperor and his army. Eusebius keeps saying "and just the other day another text has turned up". When he describes the appearance of the Acts of Pilate c.304 CE he is actually describing its appearance c.325 CE under Constantine. There is a grass roots resistance, and Constantine stamped it out in no uncertain terms. The superiority and more ancient priority of the canonical books is continually advertised by the orthodoxy. The inferiority and less ancient priority of the non canonical literature is attacked. It was banned and prohibited to be read in church or to be even preserved.

NOBODY made this claim in antiquity, and ALL of them on record made the claim that this heresy started from the second century or earlier, SHOWING beyond a reasonable doubt that literature such as the Gospel of Peter and so on DID NOT come from the fourth century.
Unless the orthodoxy, who preserved the records, lied. The orthodoxy stuck dogmatically to the story that the "War of Jesus Books" started in the 2nd century and not as a result of Constantine publishing the official Jesus Codex. This Big Lie has become history. This is what the OP is exploring.

If the orthodoxy lied then we would not expect to find any primary evidence before the 4th century. We have discussed this evidence but disagree about how it can be interpreted in terms of probability.

You mentioned Bayes. Background evidence supporting my contentions here must include the Augustan_History. This has been discussed in other threads. It is humorously styled a "mockumentary". It employs lavish use of hundreds of forged documents and bogus identities. It is a real fabrication. And a real pseudo-history.

Indeed "they" did attempt to make the heresy look recent, if "they" are the ones who wrote the books of Irenaeus, Hippolytus, Tertullian, and so on, but the tactic that "they" took was to argue that this heresy DID NOT APPEAR before, approximately, the reign of HADRIAN, shortly after the death of the last APOSTLES, according to them, when it would have been MORE EFFECTIVE and MORE PERSUASIVE to claim that the literature appeared in the FOURTH CENTURY, if that is what did happen.

Unless they wanted to take the heat off the scale of the controversy in the 4th century. In which case how do they do that? The gnostic literature was already at large and at loose in the world and the orthodoxy had no control over it except to burn it whenever they could find it. They needed to ameliorate the controversy because they did not want to advertise any controversy over the general reception of their own sacred codex in the Roman Empire. And the associated destruction and prohibition of the pagan religious cults and practices.

I have provided some political reasons here as to why "they" opted to fabricate an early date for the appearance of opposition books.

Against this we have heard some noise about nomina sacra and the works of Origen, several of which were indeed edited and revised (as is well known) after he was branded a heretic, which can account for the occasional insertion of foreign material but which in no way supports the hypothesis of a deliberate fourth century falsification regarding the question of the age of the non-canonical literature. Hopefully there is something better than that to hang a hat on, but you shouldn't really expect it, since it never happened.

We don't know what happened. What happened shall always remain hypothetical unless there is some compelling evidence to the contrary. I am earnestly committed to examining and evaluating the evidence FOR and AGAINST various hypotheses.

All other theories for the origin of the non canonical texts follow Eusebius and the church organisation. When Eusebius et al and the church organisation are temporarily gagged all the manuscript evidence points to a 4th century origin for the authorship of this material.

None of this relates to the history of the canonical books.

The OP is about the history of the heretical books.

LC