Pharisee / scribe / laywer etc in all of the NT - Synoptics

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Pharisee / scribe / laywer etc in all of the NT - summary

Post by MrMacSon »

mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am
Only prophets in "Romans ff."... No Pharisees nor Sadducees, no layers no scribes, yet most certainly not one single priest

And Acts is a remarkable symbiotism of both
That is interesting. As with your post, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7719

Romans ff. [virtually] only has prophets and apostles: "..there is not a shred of disciples there ... only apostles" and prophets

mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am Prophets are "the only thing" in Acts and further, there is nothing of the rest: no scribe, lawyers, Pharisee or Sadducee - and certainly no priests.
A couple of chapters of Acts - chapters 4 and 24 23 - have mentions of Pharisees and Sadducees
(and there's one mention of Pharisee in each of chapters 15 and 26)

mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am Priests figure mostly in copies of every gospel, and it is John who assigns them new parts.
mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am Luke is the only one to mention lawyers, apart from an occasional incidental entry in the others.
Last edited by MrMacSon on Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:46 pm
mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am
Only prophets in "Romans ff."... No Pharisees nor Sadducees, no layers no scribes, yet most certainly not one single priest

And Acts is a remarkable symbiotism of both
That is interesting. As with your post, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7719

Romans ff. [virtually] only has prophets and apostles "..there is not a shred of disciples there ... only apostles. "

mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am Prophets are "the only thing" in Acts and further, there is nothing of the rest: no scribe, lawyers, Pharisee or Sadducee - and certainly no priests.
A couple of chapters of Acts - chapters 4 and 24 - have mentions of Pharisees and Sadducees
(and there's one mention of Pharisee in each of chapters 15 and 26)

mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am Priests figure mostly in copies of every gospel, and it is John who assigns them new parts.
mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:07 am Luke is the only one to mention lawyers, apart from an occasional incidental entry in the others.
Thanks, forgot to fix that reference, fixed now.
I had initially included apostles as well, but seeing how that resulted in two entirely different worlds, I put that into another thread and included disciples as well: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7719#p119258

You mean chapter 23 of Acts, not 24? Paul's trial mentions a bunch of both of course, but neither of them receives any of the bashing that they do in the other texts.
And it is more than remarkable how the Synoptics talk of disciples while Romans ff. talks of apostles (thread mentioned just above)

But, to set the record straight indeed, allow me to have a retry: only prophets in Romans ff., no lawyers, scribes, Pharisees, Sadducees

And to really set the record straight: I only highlighted the priests that I found, I omitted them in the search. Fixing that now, and apologies to every one. Doing two threads of these at once doesn't become accuracy, to say the least
mlinssen

Re: Pharisee / scribe / laywer etc in all of the NT - Synoptics

Post by mlinssen »

Well, I'm off in a hurry again, added the priests now. Very peculiar to see how Hebrews suddenly is full of them, among others
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:25 pmBut, to set the record straight indeed, allow me to have a retry: only prophets in Romans ff., no lawyers, scribes, Pharisees, Sadducees
As Ken pointed out, Paul calls himself a Pharisee in Philippians 3.5. Paul also mentions a scribe in 1 Corinthians 1.20. And Zenas is called a lawyer in Titus 3.13. (Your summary had these.)

You are right about the Sadducees.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:47 pm
mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:25 pmBut, to set the record straight indeed, allow me to have a retry: only prophets in Romans ff., no lawyers, scribes, Pharisees, Sadducees
As Ken pointed out, Paul calls himself a Pharisee in Philippians 3.5. Paul also mentions a scribe in 1 Corinthians 1.20. And Zenas is called a lawyer in Titus 3.13. (Your summary had these.)

You are right about the Sadducees.
Undeniably so indeed, the words are there. But, again, they don't represent the groups / concepts that they do in the Synoptics, they're just incidental words.
It certainly is not incidental that Paul labels himself Pharisee, but I hope you catch my drift
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:35 pm added the priests now. Very peculiar to see how Hebrews...is full of them
Yes, that's interesting.

Just one mention of prophet at each end of Hebrews, & a notable reference to apostle in 3:1, "Jesus the apostle and high priest of our confession"

Therefore, holy brothers, partakers of the heavenly calling, carefully consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession

https://biblehub.com/hebrews/3-1.htm
https://biblehub.com/blb/hebrews/3.htm
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

MrMacSon wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:53 am
mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:35 pm added the priests now. Very peculiar to see how Hebrews...is full of them
Yes, that's interesting.

Just one mention of prophet at each end of Hebrews, & a notable reference to apostle in 3:1, "Jesus the apostle and high priest of our confession"

Therefore, holy brothers, partakers of the heavenly calling, carefully consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession

https://biblehub.com/hebrews/3-1.htm
https://biblehub.com/blb/hebrews/3.htm
I initially had the apostles thrown in into this thread as well, but upon seeing their extreme unbalanced representation I decided to create a new thread with them and disciples.
Which made me decide to put priests into this one, and the rest is history: too much fogging around

I'm working on a final one, one that has had my attention for over a year now. I'll take great care with that one
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

mlinssen wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:22 amI initially had the apostles thrown in into this thread as well, but upon seeing their extreme unbalanced representation I decided to create a new thread with them and disciples.
You may be interested in my list of instances of the term "apostle" and two of its derivatives: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5474&p=101234#p101234. I just now reedited it to make sure it is good to go.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:20 pm
mlinssen wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:22 amI initially had the apostles thrown in into this thread as well, but upon seeing their extreme unbalanced representation I decided to create a new thread with them and disciples.
You may be interested in my list of instances of the term "apostle" and two of its derivatives: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5474&p=101234#p101234. I just now reedited it to make sure it is good to go.
I surely am, Ben. Digging into it as we speak, yet I'm also very, very interested when and where the cut is made between disciples and apostles.
I have underlined the chapters now, by the way, makes it easier on the eye