who invented the name Jesus?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
cora

who invented the name Jesus?

Post by cora »

A few things have become clear. The oldest church found was from Marcion and there is chiselled there above the door: Isu Chrestos. Since Marcion based himself completely on Paul (letters and euaggelion together), Paul must have written also about Isu Chrestos. Some people try to retrieve letters of Paul (I guess by Tertullianus) and indeed: Paul was writing also about Isu Chrestos. So all the way through there was written about Isu Chrestos. Paul lived somewhat later than the NT says. There was a story from about 72 (not Mark) to which Paul was attracted. So Paul began in 85 or 90 with his preaching, and Marcion was his direct disciple from about 120 on. No shouting please: these are facts dug up in a thorough investigation. And if something is different than the catholic church says: of course it is. Their story comes from 185 and is fabricated.

What I want to know: who forged Isu Chrestos into Iesous Christos ?????? Because it is a forgery. I personally think it was Justin Martyr, but I am not sure. It will be difficult to find. It was no Jesus, it was Isu.

Anybody?
Cora.
Jax

Re: who invented the name Jesus?

Post by Jax »

As far as I currently know the only forms of the name were IS, IU, and IN and perhaps later IE. The suspension IE would seem to indicate the name Iesos, however the contractions IS, IU, and IN could be any name that started with an i in ancient Greek. I invite you to read this post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7472
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:15 pm As far as I currently know the only forms of the name were IS, IU, and IN and perhaps later IE. The suspension IE would seem to indicate the name Iesos, however the contractions IS, IU, and IN could be any name that started with an i in ancient Greek.
There was also the three letter form, ΙΗΣ.

Here are three instances of the Hebrew hero Joshua/Jesus in Chester Beatty VI (century II):

Two abbreviations (ΙΗΣ and ΙΣ) and one written in full (ΙΗΣΟΥ).
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

There is also IOU in Vatican 1899
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:48 pm There is also ISOU in Vatican 1899
And get a load of Ƿ37, per Paap:

Paap, Pages 20-21.png
Paap, Pages 20-21.png (10.93 KiB) Viewed 5753 times
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Yes. Thank you
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

The letters are wordplay.
Thomas used ⲓ̄ⲥ̄ or ⲓⲏ̄ⲥ̄ (the latter only in logion 13, 22, 90) in the Coptic text, in the Greek it's ⲓ̅ⲏ̅ⲥ̅ all over the place - clearly a later / corrupt version

The three letters are transcribed from Hebrew, by taking their numerical value:

יחר

Check out Genesis 44:18, and you'll understand why the burning of the stones in logion 13 is referred to by a female pronoun, while the noun is male.
Fire only is female in logion 82, the infamous "who is nigh to me is nigh to the fire", and it completes the CITE-COTE-CATE chain

Thomas was indeed burning with anger, and he invites us all to be like that

The rest is history: One can easily see by the variants just named by the others that the basis to iesous was very slim, and that there was no such thing as a word being abbreviated to IS or IHS, but that it was exactly the other way around

The whole nomina sacra story only makes sense for the regular words such as kurios etc, those did get abbreviated. But IS or IHS never was an abbreviation of anything

Try to pronounce it yourself and you already have the first part of Jesus. The ou sound is interesting though
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

יחר

What are you talking about?
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

cora wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:43 pm A few things have become clear. The oldest church found was from Marcion and there is chiselled there above the door: Isu Chrestos. Since Marcion based himself completely on Paul (letters and euaggelion together), Paul must have written also about Isu Chrestos. Some people try to retrieve letters of Paul (I guess by Tertullianus) and indeed: Paul was writing also about Isu Chrestos. So all the way through there was written about Isu Chrestos. Paul lived somewhat later than the NT says. There was a story from about 72 (not Mark) to which Paul was attracted. So Paul began in 85 or 90 with his preaching, and Marcion was his direct disciple from about 120 on. No shouting please: these are facts dug up in a thorough investigation. And if something is different than the catholic church says: of course it is. Their story comes from 185 and is fabricated.

What I want to know: who forged Isu Chrestos into Iesous Christos ?????? Because it is a forgery. I personally think it was Justin Martyr, but I am not sure. It will be difficult to find. It was no Jesus, it was Isu.

Anybody?
Cora.
It is not plausible that Justin forged writings of Marcion when he claimed Marcion preached about another God and another son. If Justin had forged writings of Marcion then he would have argued that Marcion preached about NT Jesus.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

hakeem wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:34 pm It is not plausible that Justin forged writings of Marcion ...
There, you've misrepresented what Cora wrote - she didn't say Justin forged writings of Marcion - so, in attacking your own misrepresentation, you've made a strawman fallacy.

Read again what Cora wrote:
cora wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:43 pm A few things have become clear. The oldest church found was from Marcion and there is chiselled there above the door: Isu Chrestos. Since Marcion based himself completely on Paul (letters and euaggelion together), Paul must have written also about Isu Chrestos. Some people try to retrieve letters of Paul (I guess by Tertullianus) and indeed: Paul was writing also about Isu Chrestos. So all the way through there was written about Isu Chrestos. Paul lived somewhat later than the NT says. There was a story from about 72 (not Mark) to which Paul was attracted. So Paul began in 85 or 90 with his preaching, and Marcion was his direct disciple from about 120 on. No shouting please: these are facts dug up in a thorough investigation. And if something is different than the catholic church says: of course it is. Their story comes from 185 and is fabricated.

What I want to know: who forged Isu Chrestos into Iesous Christos ??? Because it is a forgery. I personally think it was Justin Martyr, but I am not sure. It will be difficult to find. It was no Jesus, it was Isu.