Jesus / Christ in all of the NT - Matthew and Mark

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jax

Re: Jesus / Christ in all of the NT: Matthew and Mark

Post by Jax »

I wonder does Iaosotos make sense? At least with Paul?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:16 pm I wonder does Iaosotos make sense? At least with Paul?
Why do you keep adding an -os to it? It ceases to make sense when you do that.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:20 pm
Jax wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:16 pm I wonder does Iaosotos make sense? At least with Paul?
Ok. My bad. 😋
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

If you want to make it end with a sigma, you could go with σωτήριος. Ἰάω Σωτήριος would make sense. I think there are inscriptions with Ζεὺς Σωτήριος, but they are two separate words and not a single name.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:23 pm
If you want to make it end with a sigma, you could go with σωτήριος. Ἰάω Σωτήριος would make sense. I think there are inscriptions with Ζεὺς Σωτήριος, but they are two separate words and not a single name.
Oh, right on. I'll use that as my master password from now on. 😃
Jax

Post by Jax »

Just don't tell anyone okay?😉
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:38 pm Just don't tell anyone okay?😉
Tell anyone what? ;)
Jax

Post by Jax »

Exactly.
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

The reason why the earliest versions of the Gospels hardly mention Jesus with the title Christ is found in the very Gospels themselves.

Mark 8
27 And Jesus went out, and his disciples, into the towns of Caesarea Philippi: and by the way he asked his disciples, saying unto them, Whom do men say that I am?

28 And they answered, John the Baptist; but some say, Elias; and others, One of the prophets.

29 And he saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Peter answereth and saith unto him, Thou art the Christ.

30 And he charged them that they should tell no man of him

Matthew 16.

13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God...............

20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

In the earliest versions of the Gospel Jesus was not known as Christ and did not want the populace to know he was the Christ until the day he was crucified.

It was hours before his supposed crucifixion in the trial with Sanhedrin that he declared he was the Christ.

Mark 14

61 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven..

The earliest stories of Jesus were not composed to start a new Christian religion. The Markan resurrected Jesus did not commission anyone to start a new Christian religion.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

hakeem wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:26 am
In the earliest versions of the Gospel Jesus was not known as Christ and did not want the populace to know he was the Christ until the day he was crucified.
Precisely. Note that Barabbas is demonized (as criminal, robber, prisoner, etc) insofar his only "sin" was to be called Jesus Son of Father, but NOT Christ (differently from his rival Jesus called Christ).