'The Oldest Gospel and the Formation of the Canonical Gospels', Klinghardt

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rgprice

Re: 'The Oldest Gospel and the Formation of the Canonical Gospels', Klinghardt

Post by rgprice »

Bernard Muller wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:51 pm to rgprice,
Matthew and Luke are both dependent on a longer version of the Gospel of Mark in which the Q material was introduced.
How do you reconcile the above quote with the one below? It seems to me if one is right, the other has to be wrong.
I agree that both Matthew and Luke are derived from Marcion's Gospel
Cordially, Bernard
Why would that be? Marcion's Gospel is the longer version of Mark with the Q material in it.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to rgprice,
Why would that be? Marcion's Gospel is the longer version of Mark with the Q material in it.
So you have "longer version of gMark with Q material in it"--> Marcion's gospel-->gLuke & gMatthew.
But gMatthew knew about the so-called Bethsaida gospel (at Mt14:24-16:13a) from gMark (at Mk6:47-Mk8:27a), which is not in gMarcion & gLuke.
So "longer version of gMark with Q material in it"-->Marcion's gospel-->gLuke & gMatthew
And
"longer version of gMark with Q material in it"-->gMatthew
And,
for gLuke":
"longer version of gMark with Q material in it" but without Mk6:47-Mk8:27a-->Marcion's gospel-->gLuke.

Conclusion: The alleged "longer version of gMark with Q material in it" was not the same as seen by Marcion & "Luke" and by "Matthew".
Of course, the simplest solution would be Marcion copied on gLuke (with "Luke" getting her Q material from a document "Quelle", because gMarcion does not have all the Q items showing in both gLuke & gMatthew).
And "Luke" did not know about gMatthew because the so-called Bethsaida is in gMatthew but not in gLuke (and gMarcion).

Cordially, Bernard
Last edited by Bernard Muller on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Bernard Muller wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:14 pm to rgprice,
So you have "longer version of gMark with Q material in it"--> Marcion's gospel-->gLuke & gMatthew.
Bernard, rg posted this a few days ago
rgprice wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:50 am Mark > Marcion > proto-Luke. GJohn is derived from Marcion, and Matthew and Luke are both derived from proto-Luke.
Luke is a harmonization between proto-Luke and GMatthew.
  • eta: so Mark > Marcion > proto-Luke -> Matthew (and protoLuke->) Luke. and Mark->Marcion->GJohn
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to MrMacSon,
Mark > Marcion > proto-Luke. GJohn is derived from Marcion, and Matthew and Luke are both derived from proto-Luke.
That's quite different of what he wrote to me (no proto-Luke after Marcion but before gMarcion "the longer version of Mark with the Q material in it" relacing plain gMark).

Cordially, Bernard
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Bernard Muller wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:02 pm That's quite different of what he wrote to me
Not really, Bernard.

Marcion's Gospel is the longer version of Mark with the Q material in it = Mark + [some] Qmaterial >>> GMarcion

And there were like at least two editions of the gospels attributed to Marcion
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Klinghardt’s book has been out for a little while. Has anyone studied Volume 1? Is it the great work of our time, or not worth the price?
Sinouhe

Post by Sinouhe »

The gospel of Marcion being the first gospel is a seducing idea but Marcion was anti-jewish and didn't like the OT.
Then why can we read multiple references and midrash of the OT in his gospel ?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Irish1975 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:29 pm Klinghardt’s book has been out for a little while. Has anyone studied Volume 1? Is it the great work of our time, or not worth the price?
a relative limit is the fact that the author will talk about the theological reasons behind the gospel X being a reaction against Mcn in a next book. Hence until now he have talked only about technical arguments.

As to Mark versus Marcion, I have exposed already what is in short his argument against Markan priority (the Mark's complexity is built on the separated items found in Mcn). I think that only theological arguments can resolve the dilemma: under the Mark's priority, why Marcion corrupted Mark? Under the Mcn's priority, why Mark corrupted Mcn?
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Sinouhe wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:43 pm The gospel of Marcion being the first gospel is a seducing idea but Marcion was anti-jewish and didn't like the OT.
I've seen scholars say Marcion was not anti-Jewish (or anti-Semitic) but was just against the idea the Jewish god was the supreme God
Sinouhe

Post by Sinouhe »

MrMacSon wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:50 am
Sinouhe wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:43 pm The gospel of Marcion being the first gospel is a seducing idea but Marcion was anti-jewish and didn't like the OT.
I've seen scholars say Marcion was not anti-Jewish (or anti-Semitic) but was just against the idea the Jewish god was the supreme God
But we have passages from his gospel which remove clearly references to the prophets and not OT friendly :
483F613F-4AFE-4836-954C-93CE248CE365.jpeg
483F613F-4AFE-4836-954C-93CE248CE365.jpeg (202.09 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
While in the same time, marcion contain some allusions to the prophets and the OT :

Midrash from Jonah
8846CF3C-2CAC-4479-A936-5928EFC7E42F.jpeg
8846CF3C-2CAC-4479-A936-5928EFC7E42F.jpeg (308.23 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Midrash from Elijah/Elishah
624A21A0-257F-4B21-9C10-F0EF970AC6B6.jpeg
624A21A0-257F-4B21-9C10-F0EF970AC6B6.jpeg (378.68 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Midrash from Psalm 22
624A21A0-257F-4B21-9C10-F0EF970AC6B6.jpeg
624A21A0-257F-4B21-9C10-F0EF970AC6B6.jpeg (378.68 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
It still contains a huge amount of allusions to the OT so if it was the first gospel, it was composed by an expert in jewish texts.
So it contradicts the passages which remove the references to the prophets.

I don’t know, for me this gospel is not really coherent.
And if Marcion is the first. it would be difficult to explain why the church added some jewish elements to the gospels to judaize Jesus and his story when pagans christians were already the norm in the second century.