Could the Name 'Marcellina' be the Latin Diminutive of the Greek name Marcia?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Could the Name 'Marcellina' be the Latin Diminutive of the Greek name Marcia?

Post by Secret Alias »

If a Greek woman was named Marcia could a Latin speaker refer to her affectionately as 'Marcellina?'
Ben C. Smith

Re: Could the Name 'Marcellina' be the Latin Diminutive of the Greek name Marcia?

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:17 pm If a Greek woman was named Marcia could a Latin speaker refer to her affectionately as 'Marcellina?'
That seems likely to me. Marcia is of Latin origin, and both Marcia and Marcellina (and the entire Marc- family of names) appear to mean "dedicated to Mars" or the like, or so the standard etymology goes.
Secret Alias

Re: Could the Name 'Marcellina' be the Latin Diminutive of the Greek name Marcia?

Post by Secret Alias »

Thanks. What's the difference between Marcellus and Marcellinus? Marcellus and 'belong to Marcellus'?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:12 pm Thanks. What's the difference between Marcellus and Marcellinus? Marcellus and 'belong to Marcellus'?
That is my supposition, yes. Just like masculum is "male," and masculinus is the adjective meaning "of or pertaining to a male," so too Marcellinus would be "of or pertaining to Marcellus," and of course Marcellus is just a diminutive of Marcus.

I imagine (not sure, but it would make sense) that Marcellinus was applied to a member of the family of someone named Marcellus; this would be similar to O'Brian originally having been applied to the son of (o') someone named Brian.

Marcus = a praenomen, cognate with Mars (probably).
Marcellus = diminutive of Marcus, "little Mark."
Marcellinus = member of (the family/clan of) Marcellus.