Tertullian’s 5 Books Against Marcion --- Was there a letter to “Rome”?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

Tertullian’s 5 Books Against Marcion --- Was there a letter to “Rome”?

Post by robert j »

In Tertullian’s 5 Books Against Marcion (Adv. Marc.), is there any clear reference to a Pauline letter addressed to Rome?

The letter Romans is included in Marcion’s collection of 10 Pauline letters as found in Tertullian’s Adv. Marc. And in Book 5 of Adv. Marc., many passages from the letter we know as Romans are discussed by Tertullian.

But in Tertullian’s Adv. Marc., I haven’t found any clear reference to a Pauline letter written to “Rome”. I haven’t waded through all of Tertullian’s verbiage --- perhaps I missed something.

In Book 5, Tertullian explicitly mentions by the destination or the designation of the letters, only Galatians (ch. 2), Ephesians/Laodiceans (ch. 17), and to “one man”, i.e. Philemon (ch. 21). However, Tertullian cites text from 9 of the 10 letters attributed to Paul, lacking only text from Philemon.

Tertullian, in his polemics against Marcion, discusses the text of the letter now known as Romans in Book 5, chapters 13-14 of Adv. Marc. However, the only places in Romans where any mention of a Roman address are found (1:7a, 1:15, and chapter 15) are unattested by Tertullian in Adv. Marc. (i.e., not mentioned). Other textual evidence demonstrate inconsistencies in those same passages.

In Book 4, Tertullian rounds out the names of the locales in which he understood the existence of Pauline congregations ---

… it will certainly be quite as evident, that comes down from the apostles, which has been kept as a sacred deposit in the churches of the apostles. Let us see what milk the Corinthians drank from Paul; to what rule of faith the Galatians were brought for correction; what the Philippians, the Thessalonians, the Ephesians read by it; what utterance also the Romans give, so very near, to whom Peter and Paul conjointly bequeathed the gospel even sealed with their own blood. (Adv. Marc., Book 4, ch. 5)

The characterization of Paul’s role is quite different for the Roman audience here. The Corinthians drank Paul’s milk, the Galatians were corrected; and the Philippians, the Thessalonians, and the Ephesians read by it.

But for the Romans, it’s the gospel that was bequeathed to them conjointly by Peter and Paul as sealed by their own blood, per Tertullian and other early-catholic legends.

Also according to early-catholic legend, the Gospel of Mark was composed in Rome. Tertullian explicitly credits Mark as the interpreter of Peter, and Luke’s Gospel is ascribed to Paul ---

The same authority of the apostolic churches will afford evidence to the other Gospels also, which we possess equally through their means, and according to their usage--I mean the Gospels of John and Matthew--whilst that which Mark published may be affirmed to be Peter's whose interpreter Mark was. For even Luke's form of the Gospel men unusually ascribe to Paul. (Adv. Marc., Book 4, ch. 5)

I have found nothing in Tertullian’s Adv. Marc. that clearly references a Pauline letter addressed to Rome. Am I missing something?
Last edited by robert j on Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Tertullian’s 5 Books Against Marcion --- Was there a letter to “Rome”?

Post by Ben C. Smith »

I am not aware of a statement as concrete in Against Marcion as Tertullian makes elsewhere (Against Praxeas 28, for instance, or On Monogamy 13).
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Tertullian cites from the Epistle to the Romans in Book Five and presumes Marcionite use of the text. Romans is also included in Epiphanius. Marcion has a special attachment to the city of Rome. The only place he is ever seen is in Rome. Marcion himself is presumed to have written a letter to the Roman church. Someone (maybe it was me I don't remember) has tried to argue that the Marcionite letter to the Romans could have been later made into a Pauline letter.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

A similar statement is made in the Prescription:

COME now, thou who wiliest to exercise thy curiosity to better purpose in the business of thy salvation : go through the Apostolic Churches where the very thrones of the Apostles at this very day preside over their own districts, where their own genuine letters are read which speak their words and bring the presence of each before our minds. If Achaia is nearest to thee, thou hast Corinth. If thou art not far from Macedonia, thou hast Philippi. If thou canst travel into Asia, thou hast Ephesus. Or if thou art near to Italy, thou hast Rome, where we too have an authority close at hand.1 What a happy Church is that whereon the Apostles poured out their whole doctrine2 together with their blood; where Peter suffers a passion like his Lord's,3 where Paul is crowned with the death of John ...
robert j

Post by robert j »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:03 pm I am not aware of a statement as concrete in Against Marcion as Tertullian makes elsewhere (Against Praxeas 28, for instance, or On Monogamy 13).
Yes, thanks Ben. I didn't extend my search of the works attributed to Tertullian beyond Against Marcion.
robert j

Post by robert j »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:36 pm A similar statement is made in the Prescription:

COME now, thou who wiliest to exercise thy curiosity to better purpose in the business of thy salvation : go through the Apostolic Churches where the very thrones of the Apostles at this very day preside over their own districts, where their own genuine letters are read which speak their words and bring the presence of each before our minds. If Achaia is nearest to thee, thou hast Corinth. If thou art not far from Macedonia, thou hast Philippi. If thou canst travel into Asia, thou hast Ephesus. Or if thou art near to Italy, thou hast Rome, where we too have an authority close at hand.1 What a happy Church is that whereon the Apostles poured out their whole doctrine2 together with their blood; where Peter suffers a passion like his Lord's,3 where Paul is crowned with the death of John ...
Yes, thanks SA. I did see that one in the Prescription, but afford to it the same interpretation (re: Peter and Paul) as described in the OP for the passages cited from Adv Marc Book 4, chapter 5.