Galatians 1:21-24 : churches of Judea

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Galatians 1:21-24 : churches of Judea

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:48 am I would guess that it was when the King James version was created. But that's just a guess.
Wycliffe and the Geneva Bible predate the KJV. They both have "church."
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:49 am
Jax wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:48 am I would guess that it was when the King James version was created. But that's just a guess.
Ah! My post follows yours because you clicked the submit button before me.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:53 am
Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:49 am
Ah! My post follows yours because you clicked the submit button before me.
Post crossing. It happens. :cheers:
Jax

Post by Jax »

As a cross poster I really just worry that I have the right shoes. :lol:
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

I think you need the right socks for cross posting. Or slippers.
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

Actually, the right handbag is the important concern...

But anyway, So Wycliffe used church, no doubt an innocent move. I don't know what precedent he was working from, as there were prior partial English translations to his. But at any rate, it appears that this isn't an issue was that created early on, it appears to be some later issue, and might be particular to English.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Oh God! Now I have to worry about socks and handbags too? :wtf:
Jax

Post by Jax »

rgprice wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:18 am Actually, the right handbag is the important concern...

But anyway, So Wycliffe used church, no doubt an innocent move. I don't know what precedent he was working from, as there were prior partial English translations to his. But at any rate, it appears that this isn't an issue was that created early on, it appears to be some later issue, and might be particular to English.
"Lord" is another one IMO. The way Paul uses the term seems like "Master" would be a better translation.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:30 am"Lord" is another one IMO. The way Paul uses the term seems like "Master" would be a better translation.
I am not sure about this one. It needs to function as a title of respect and social stratification. Master works great in household contexts and some others, but in a lot of cases I think Lord is far better.

With respect to the proper translation of a term, there is rarely a single word in one language which maps directly onto a single word in another language. I also think that personal experience comes into play more often than we might like to think. Such is the case with me and the word "church." I myself have zero issue using that term as a translation for the Greek term, and have no plans to change my usage (especially since I habitually give the Greek itself in discussions, so screw the English anyway), because I grew up in a religious context in which "church" always meant the people, not the building. We had to add the word "building" to the term to specify it: "church building." This was part of the teaching and tradition of the low church circles I grew up in, so to my ear "church" already means an assembly, no fiddling required. But I can easily see where people from other backgrounds might think mainly of the physical edifice.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:02 am
Jax wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:30 am"Lord" is another one IMO. The way Paul uses the term seems like "Master" would be a better translation.
I am not sure about this one. It needs to function as a title of respect and social stratification. Master works great in household contexts and some others, but in a lot of cases I think Lord is far better.

With respect to the proper translation of a term, there is rarely a single word in one language which maps directly onto a single word in another language. I also think that personal experience comes into play more often than we might like to think. Such is the case with me and the word "church." I myself have zero issue using that term as a translation for the Greek term, and have no plans to change my usage (especially since I habitually give the Greek itself in discussions, so screw the English anyway), because I grew up in a religious context in which "church" always meant the people, not the building. We had to add the word "building" to the term to specify it: "church building." This was part of the teaching and tradition of the low church circles I grew up in, so to my ear "church" already means an assembly, no fiddling required. But I can easily see where people from other backgrounds might think mainly of the physical edifice.
Fair enough. It just seems to me that as Paul writes about being a slave to the XC that Master is one viable interpretation of KS. At lest with Paul and in some contexts.

I admit that I would prefer that the translation "assemblies" be used as it quite frankly fits better in my pre CE Paul scenario. But also not everyone has a background in Greek like you, as you say, so it's easy for some to confuse ancient Christianity with it's modern form leading to misunderstanding the basic differences.