Good resource for checking scriptural references?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rgprice

Good resource for checking scriptural references?

Post by rgprice »

Is there a resource that let's you search for references to passages within the scriptures? Like say I wanted to see all of the passages that reference Isaiah 42, or whatever?
Ben C. Smith

Re: Good resource for checking scriptural references?

Post by Ben C. Smith »

rgprice wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:31 am Is there a resource that let's you search for references to passages within the scriptures? Like say I wanted to see all of the passages that reference Isaiah 42, or whatever?
For the OT alone, I use Citations and Allusions to Jewish Scripture in Early Christian and Jewish Writings Through 180 CE, by Bradley H. McLean. Here is Isaiah 42, for example:

Isaiah 42 Citations.png
Isaiah 42 Citations.png (42.54 KiB) Viewed 2788 times

For both the OT and the NT, I also use Biblindex. It has some weird limitations, though. For example, you have to search for Irenaeus separately for some reason. But still, pretty fine resource.

ETA 1: I also use the Scripture Index to Charlesworth's OT Pseudepigrapha, by Steve Delamarter, sometimes, just to make sure I am not missing anything in those books.

ETA 2: Note that Biblindex is really all about the Church Fathers. McLean's book will give you the Apocrypha, Pseudepigrapha, and Qumran materials, too.
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

The McLean looks nice, but its like $150. I was hoping for something on-line :) When I search Bibleindex for Isaiah 42 I get no results. But obviously McLean lists results.
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

What about the other direction? For example, are there any good resources that list out all of the references within a work, so for example, list out all of these references in 1 Corinthians, etc. Most study bibles have this, but its not listed out in terms of just the references, its a bunch of notes. But for example, do you know of any resource that would have this information listed out in such as way that it could be turned into a bar graph or pivot table, for the letter to the Romans there are X references to Isaiah, Y references to the Psalms, Z references to Jeremiah, etc.?
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

The Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament has an appendix listing quotes of OT books in the NT (by chapter and verse of OT book)

Andrew Criddle
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

rgprice wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:00 am The McLean looks nice, but its like $150. I was hoping for something on-line :) When I search Bibleindex for Isaiah 42 I get no results. But obviously McLean lists results.
I get lots of results on Biblindex for Isaiah 42. Make sure you have the entire chapter selected, and also "All" available authors:

Isaiah 42 Biblindex.png
Isaiah 42 Biblindex.png (38.98 KiB) Viewed 2759 times

Click both + signs, too. Oh, and you will have to select date values. I usually go with 1 to 400 or so.
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

Ahh, got it. BTW, I found a PDF of McLean, which is very helpful.
Jax

Post by Jax »

rgprice wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:02 am Ahh, got it. BTW, I found a PDF of McLean, which is very helpful.
Link?
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

Jax wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 am Link?
https://books4u.store/product/citations ... h-180-c-e/
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

rgprice wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:17 am What about the other direction? For example, are there any good resources that list out all of the references within a work, so for example, list out all of these references in 1 Corinthians, etc. Most study bibles have this, but its not listed out in terms of just the references, its a bunch of notes. But for example, do you know of any resource that would have this information listed out in such as way that it could be turned into a bar graph or pivot table, for the letter to the Romans there are X references to Isaiah, Y references to the Psalms, Z references to Jeremiah, etc.?
Something like this? Bible only, of course.

Going outside the Bible, the better critical editions of the patristic texts will include a list of references in an appendix. So, for example, if I want to know which passages Clement of Alexandria referred to, I know to consult volume 4 of Otto Stählin's edition. The critical editions ought to include more than just biblical references, too. Stählin lists classical works, lost works (like the Gospels of the Egyptians and of the Hebrews, as I know from experience), and so on. Here is a snippet:

Otto Stählin, Volume IV, Page 32.png
Otto Stählin, Volume IV, Page 32.png (169.68 KiB) Viewed 2742 times