2 Cor 12:13-18 / Gentile mission vs raising money

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

2 Cor 12:13-18 / Gentile mission vs raising money

Post by gryan »

Re: Gentile mission vs raising money (perhaps for "the poor" in Jerusalem)

This is what Paul said, according to 2 Cor 12:13-18

13In what way were you inferior to the other churches, except that I was not a burden to you? Forgive me this wrong!

14See, I am ready to come to you a third time, and I will not be a burden, because I am not seeking your possessions, but you. For children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. 15And for the sake of your souls, I will most gladly spend my money and myself. If I love you more, will you love me less?

16Be that as it may, I was not a burden to you; but crafty as I am, I caught you by trickery. 17Did I exploit you by anyone I sent you? 18I urged Titus to visit you, and I sent our brother with him. Did Titus exploit you in any way? Did we not walk in the same Spirit and follow in the same footsteps?

-------------

Interpretation

Paul wanted the Corinthians to know that what he really cared about was their souls--not about getting them to give away their possessions. Mirror reading suggests Paul is responding to accusations to the contrary.

In this context, Paul wrote: "I was not a burden to you; but crafty as I am, I caught you by trickery."

Was he accused of burdening them, and of being crafty and tricky? Seems so. But was he really crafty and tricky, in some sense? And was he admitting as much?

I'm wondering.
billd89

Re: 2 Cor 12:13-18 ... Scheming Ploys & Guilt Tripping

Post by billd89 »

This is what Paul said, according to 2 Cor 12:13-18

13In what way were you inferior to the other churches, except that I was not a burden to you? Forgive me this wrong!
He made other Churches pay; the Corinthians didn't. 'Forgive me for not billing -sorry: tithe-ing- you like all the others.' Switcheroo, in the most perverse cunning manner.
14See, I am ready to come to you a third time, and I will not be a burden, because I am not seeking your possessions
but you.
Hint: you really should give up your possessions to me, at last. Third time's the charm.
For children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children.
Insinuation of ingratitude.
If I love you more, will you love me less?
Not only are you miserly and ungrateful, you are unloving also!
In this context, Paul wrote: "I was not a burden to you; but crafty as I am, I caught you by trickery."
I'm uncertain if he is admitting he a) caught them previously or b) has caught them now. It would seem there are complaints flying about, the offense-defense is deployed masterfully, and Paul reads (to me) -in this translation- like a totally manipulative shitbag. But I'm biased, deeply cynical: I think cults are typically/almost always run by machievellian psychopaths.