Some Observations on the Nomina Sacra of the First Three Centuries

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jax

Re: Some Observations on the Nomina Sacra of the First Three Centuries

Post by Jax »

As a study aid of the Nomina Sacra, as it is in text of the codex p46, I thought that I would write out an English translation of the text as it exists in the actual document. Only that which is found in the text of p46 will be used except in the case of lacuna, in which case the text will be filled in with the next earliest example of the missing passage.

To do this I am relying on the modern translation of the Greek as found in the World English Bible except when it is in disagreement with The New Testament by David Bentley Hart. I will also use only the Nomina Sacra as it presents itself in the text. Further, all proper and place names will be rendered in the original Greek and in Uncial. So also, words like Pneuma, Ekklēsia, and Adelphos will be retained in their original form. If there are any other words that you feel should not be translated please let me know. I will also leave passages with disputed interpretations in their original Greek with notes listing possible translations.

To keep this project manageable I intend to break up the letters into smaller letters as outlined in this post
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3487&hilit=Paul&start=90#p100479

I would also like to distinguish between the letters as they are in the text of p46 and how they might have been in the reconstructed letters attributed to the Marcion letter collection (just gotta make things hard for myself). I would also like to highlight disputed passages as pointed out by O. Walker and others. Any advice on how best to do this is very welcome.

I am going to begin with Philippians 1_1 - 3_1 and continue as I can.

Any and all comments or ideas welcome. :cheers:
Last edited by Jax on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

(Uncial, not unical.) Best of luck!
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 am (Uncial, not unical.) Best of luck!
Ah yes. Just got back from So Cal. :D
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben, you have way more experience presenting disputed passages in a document than I have. Are there any examples of yours that I can emulate?
Jax

Post by Jax »

Also, how in the heck do you link to a specific post in a thread?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 am Ben, you have way more experience presenting disputed passages in a document than I have. Are there any examples of yours that I can emulate?
I would probably just use footnotes/endnotes:

Galatians 2.15-16: 15 “We are Jews by nature and not sinners ἐξ ἐθνῶν1; 16 nevertheless, knowing that a person is not justified by works of the Law but διὰ πίστεως Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ,2 even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified ἐκ πίστεως Χριστοῦ3 and not by works of the Law; since by works of the Law no flesh will be justified.”

1 from the Gentiles / from the nations.
2 through faith in Christ Jesus / through the faithfulness of Christ Jesus.
3 by faith in Christ / by the faithfulness of Christ.

(I did not use the nomina sacra here. This example is just for phrases which may be interpreted in different ways.)
Jax wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 am Also, how in the heck do you link to a specific post in a thread?
Click the blue title of the post itself, then copy the URL from your browser bar.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:17 am
Jax wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 am Also, how in the heck do you link to a specific post in a thread?
Click the blue title of the post itself, then copy the URL from your browser bar.
Ah yes! Thank you. That was driving me nuts as I knew that I have done it in the past.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Jax wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 am Ben, you have way more experience presenting disputed passages in a document than I have. Are there any examples of yours that I can emulate?

Galatians 2.15-16: 15 “We are Jews by nature and not sinners ἐξ ἐθνῶν1; 16 nevertheless, knowing that a person is not justified by works of the Law but διὰ πίστεως Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ,2 even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified ἐκ πίστεως Χριστοῦ3 and not by works of the Law; since by works of the Law no flesh will be justified.”

(I did not use the nomina sacra here. This example is just for phrases which may be interpreted in different ways.)
Cool. Thanks. What about blocking in passages thought to be later interpolations. Use brackets alone or different fonts and or colors etc?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:29 am

Cool. Thanks. What about blocking in passages thought to be later interpolations. Use brackets alone or different fonts and or colors etc?
I would probably go with a different color.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:02 am
Jax wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:29 am

I would probably go with a different color.
Ok, right on. I'll try that.

Thanks

Lane