Some Observations on the Nomina Sacra of the First Three Centuries

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Some Observations on the Nomina Sacra of the First Three Centuries

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 am
Jax wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:58 am Reading up on the CNTTS Apparatus https://www.accordancebible.com/article ... cntts-php/ I don't see any unical. Is unical NS included in the examples?
Uncial manuscripts are certainly included, but their typeface is modern and standardized, as per the norm.
You can the see which manuscripts are included in some of the screenshots:

Manuscripts.png
Manuscripts.png (55.39 KiB) Viewed 1798 times

All the big players are there, along with many more.
Jax

Post by Jax »

How useful do you think this tool would be for researching NS in unical?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:18 am How useful do you think this tool would be for researching NS in unical?
It will not distinguish majuscule from minuscule manuscripts for you, so far as I can tell. If you had a separate list of uncial/majuscule manuscripts, so that you knew which ones to look for, then this apparatus could be of tremendous help, I would think.

Is there a reason behind researching the nomina sacra only in manuscripts which use capital letters?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

You can see what kind of information you are getting in this screenshot of Matthew 1.1:

CNTTS Matthew 1.1.png
CNTTS Matthew 1.1.png (65.73 KiB) Viewed 1790 times

Each of the double angle brackets (>>) after the list of manuscripts attesting a variant unfolds into a table with the manuscripts on that list tabulated by century and Aland category (I-V); I have shown only one of those tables in my screenshot. It really is quite amazing.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Yay! Just got my second poke! :) Now I can hang out with other people again!

Didn't squeal or nuthin. That leather strap I brought along to bite down on was a good idea. :D

Although, now that I think about it, I no longer have a good excuse to avoid people now. :/
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:23 am
Jax wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:18 am How useful do you think this tool would be for researching NS in unical?
It will not distinguish majuscule from minuscule manuscripts for you, so far as I can tell. If you had a separate list of uncial/majuscule manuscripts, so that you knew which ones to look for, then this apparatus could be of tremendous help, I would think.

Is there a reason behind researching the nomina sacra only in manuscripts which use capital letters?
Just trying to study documents in the first couple centuries which are all in capital letters.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:41 am You can see what kind of information you are getting in this screenshot of Matthew 1.1:

CNTTS Matthew 1.1.png

Each of the double angle brackets (>>) after the list of manuscripts attesting a variant unfolds into a table with the manuscripts on that list tabulated by century and Aland category (I-V); I have shown only one of those tables in my screenshot. It really is quite amazing.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ok, I see the overline on some of the NS. Been looking at some instruction videos on youtube as well.
Jax

Post by Jax »

^That's weird. My reply to your post got split apart for some reason. Never seen that before.
Jax

Post by Jax »

So if I type in 'is' for instance will it show all of the instances of the NS is?