Some Observations on the Nomina Sacra of the First Three Centuries

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Some Observations on the Nomina Sacra of the First Three Centuries

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Oh, and Lane, since you are now getting knee deep into this stuff, I wanted to point something out that is bound to confuse you if you do not expect it. There is also a tendency for the scribes to replace a final nu in a word with a horizontal stroke. This is not the same thing as a nomen sacrum; it is more like a kind of shorthand or the like. Here is an example:

P46, Romans 13.12-14.8.png
P46, Romans 13.12-14.8.png (656.97 KiB) Viewed 2417 times

That stroke is actually the nu at the end of ὁ θεὸς γὰρ αὐτόν in Romans 14.3. Apologies if you were already aware of this. I can see it becoming a source of confusion if you were not, though.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 pm
Jax wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:44 pmYou can see that the scribe has extended the overstroke past the NS just like it would be done if the word was at the end of a sentence.
It happens again at the end of a line a few pages later. Also kind of happens in the middle of a line on the same page:

P46, Romans 10.1-11.png
May just have a heavy hand. The kind of trait that one looks for in a bartender. :D

Going to keep my eye out for more examples of this, hopefully encounter it in other manuscripts.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm Oh, and Lane, since you are now getting knee deep into this stuff, I wanted to point something out that is bound to confuse you if you do not expect it. There is also a tendency for the scribes to replace a final nu in a word with a horizontal stroke. This is not the same thing as a nomen sacrum; it is more like a kind of shorthand or the like. Here is an example:

P46, Romans 13.12-14.8.png

That stroke is actually the nu at the end of ὁ θεὸς γὰρ αὐτόν in Romans 14.3. Apologies if you were already aware of this. I can see it becoming a source of confusion if you were not, though.
Thanks man. That's nu to me. :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist. That actually is something nice to know. Will keep an eye out for it. :thumbup:
Jax

Post by Jax »

^ Any idea why that is done?
Jax

Post by Jax »

And yet just a few lines down we find another word that has the very same ending with no overstroke for nu.

Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:05 pmThanks man. That's nu to me. :D
:facepalm: :lol: :notworthy:
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
How hard did you try?
Jax wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:07 pm ^ Any idea why that is done?
No, not really.
Jax wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:16 pm And yet just a few lines down we find another word that has the very same ending with no overstroke for nu.
Yep! Inconsistency in a manuscript is the rule, not the exception.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Look at the variation in these supralinears:

P46, 2 Corinthians 1.1-8.png
P46, 2 Corinthians 1.1-8.png (638.31 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

Some undershoot the abbreviation considerably; others overshoot. One of them completely misses the Χ in ΧΡΥ. ETA: Right before that last one, the stroke misses the Ι of ΙΗΥ, too.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:34 pm Look at the variation in these supralinears:

Some undershoot the abbreviation considerably; others overshoot. One of them completely misses the Χ in ΧΡΥ. ETA: Right before that last one, the stroke misses the Ι of ΙΗΥ, too.
I can easily see that I have just found my new favorite obsession. :)
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:02 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:34 pm Look at the variation in these supralinears:

You will soon know more about the nomina sacra than 99.9% of interested persons on earth. Ignorance of how the nomina sacra actually work in the manuscripts abounds.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:27 pm
Jax wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:02 pm

You will soon know more about the nomina sacra than 99.9% of interested persons on earth. Ignorance of how the nomina sacra actually work in the manuscripts abounds.
Challenge accepted! :cheers: