A Jumble in Corinth and Paul’s Human Foibles

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

A Jumble in Corinth and Paul’s Human Foibles

Post by robert j »

Part One

The final compiler of the Corinthian correspondence did future readers a dis-service. Sure, one can still derive the Christology and the dogma. But what are obscured are the sub-plots, the back-stories.

Paul's trials and tribulations with the Corinthians involved nearly as much drama as a modern-day TV soap opera. But the jumbled nature of the received correspondence makes the drama harder to follow.

Most critical scholars recognize the Corinthian correspondence as a patchwork quilt of several letters stitched together, and many agree the correspondence is not entirely in chronological order. In my sparse collection of books about Paul, I have four books that attempt to reconstruct the letters and their sequence --- all four scholars have significantly different solutions.

In my analysis here, a verse or two, or a passage or two, might be placed differently, with reasonable arguments. But I believe the following solution accounts for the various sub-plots better than any other solution I have seen elsewhere, and this solution provides the means to better understand Paul --- and his human foibles.

I believe the Corinthian correspondence consists of four letters. And based on the received correspondence, I don’t believe there is adequate evidence of missing letters. For example, in 1 Corinthians 5:9-11, Paul is likely referring to issues he had just discussed in the letter he is writing at the time (Trobisch, 1994, p. 76-77), a form not uncommon in ancient letters.

For me, there are four primary keys for reconstructing the separate letters in chronological sequence. The keys are:

1) The ongoing issue of the man involved with his father's woman is threaded through the entire correspondence, starting with 1 Corinthians 5:1.

2) Paul's travels and his travel plans are also threaded through the correspondence. Many investigators see more than one visit by Paul to the congregation at Corinth. I believe Paul visited the group only one time, on his initial evangelization. A detailed analysis of Paul's visits and travel plans to Corinth would take another essay, but I believe the evidence in the letters is clear --- one visit.

I believe 2 Corinthians 2:1 is subject to mistranslation and misinterpretation, but the passage that seems to create the most confusion is 2 Corinthians 13:1-2. Some of the difficulty, in too many bibles, is due to poor translation. Here are two versions, first the NIV, then the King James;
"This will be my third visit to you …I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent …" (2 Cor 13:1-2, NIV)

"This is the third time I am coming to you …I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present the second time; and being absent now …" (2 Cor 13:1-2, KJ)
The King James is somewhat better in these two verses.

Paul's statement (my translation and emphasis) --- "This third time I AM coming to you" (2 Cor 13:1) --- means that this is the third time that Paul was PLANNING to make another visit. This may seem like special pleading, but a careful analyses of the correspondence supports this interpretation. Dr. David Trobisch has studied the letters of Paul extensively. Trobisch writes,
"… his expression in 2 Cor 13:2 'as if I were with you a second time although I am absent now' is to be understood as a definite statement that he has been to Corinth only once." (Trobisch, 1994, p. 67).
3) Paul's collection for the "saints" in Jerusalem figures prominently in the correspondence. Most of the blocks of text that have been cut-and-pasted by the final editor and placed out of chronological sequence are about the collection for Jerusalem (2 Cor chapters 8 and 9), and also about compensation (1 Cor chapter 9). Paul brings up the collection for Jerusalem near the end of every one of the first three of the four letters. In the fourth and last letter, it's obvious that he would set that effort aside.

4) The final correspondence from Paul consists of his response after a visit to the congregation from the "super apostles", other Jewish missionaries that the congregation liked better than Paul. Paul defends his own work and competence, and he rebuts the teachings of the competitors as best he could given the third-hand nature of his information.

We will probably never know who cut-and-pasted the received correspondence, nor why he decided on the order now found. I believe the editor of the received correspondence removed some opening greetings and closing words that would have been within the body of his resultant construction, leaving some of the four letters described here missing those features.

The on-going subplots woven throughout, not only provide a means to re-assemble the Corinthian correspondence, but also, I believe, lend evidence to the human element, to the authentic nature of the correspondence.

robert j.

Citation:

Trobisch, D., "Paul's Letter Collection --- Tracing the Origins", Fortress Press, Minneapolis, 1994.
robert j

Re: A Jumble in Corinth and Paul’s Human Foibles

Post by robert j »

Part Two

So here are the four primary letters of the Corinthian correspondence in chronological order, each with a brief description of the occasion for the letter:

1) Letter One: 1 Corinthians, with the possible exception of chapter 9 which I think may be out of place

Paul was in Ephesus and heard of divisions from Chloe's people (1 Cor 1:11), and he met with Stephanas and two others from Corinth (1 Cor 16:17). From one or both of these delegations, Paul received a list of questions and concerns from the congregation (1 Cor 7:1), and Paul evidently promised that he was coming to visit Corinth right after Ephesus. So later, Paul wrote his responses to these many issues, questions and concerns --- including instructions in chapter 5 to expel the man involved with his father's woman. Paul gave instructions for a collection for Jerusalem (1 Cor 16:1-4); changed his promised travel plans (1 Cor 16:5-8); and sent the letter to Corinth with Timothy (1 Cor 4:17 and 16:10).

I'm undecided on chapter 9 from 1 Corinthians --- it may go between 2 Corinthians 12:13 and 12:14, or it could represent a fragment of another letter, or it may belong where it is now found.

2) Letter Two: 2 Corinthians 1:1 through 2:13 plus chapter 9 (chapter 9 from 2 Corinthians)

Paul was back in Macedonia after Ephesus and Troas (2 Cor 2:12-13), and Paul heard from Timothy on his return from Corinth (2 Cor 1:1). The congregation was not happy about Paul delaying his visit, and they were unhappy with Paul's response about the man involved with his father's woman. Paul wrote back and was apologetic over his change in travel plans (2 Cor 1:15-17 and 1:23), he gave-in to the congregation over the issue of the man with his father's woman amid hurt feelings (2 Cor 2:10), and Paul sent Titus with this letter including a request that the congregation finish the arrangements for the collection for Jerusalem (2 Cor chapter 9 tells of events previous in time to the events in chapter 8).

3) Letter Three: 2 Corinthians 7:4 through 8.24

Titus had returned to Macedonia from Corinth with good news. The congregation seemed to have warmed-up to Paul (2 Cor 7:6-7), and they apparently remained open to the contribution for Jerusalem (2 Cor 8:11-12). So Paul wrote back with words of affection, trying to put a positive spin on the issue of the man involved with his father's woman from the previous two letters (chapter 7). And Paul sent Titus and "the brother" back to Corinth with this letter including a request for the congregation to follow through with their collection for Jerusalem, and to give the collection to Titus and "the brother" (chapter 8).

4) Letter Four: 2 Corinthians 2:14 to 6:13 plus 7:2 to 7:3 plus chapters 10 through 13 --- [2 Corinthians 6:14 through 7:1 is an intrusive fragment]

Titus had returned from Corinth empty handed, relaying accusations from the congregation that Paul and his co-workers were taking advantage of them. (2 Cor 12:16-18 and elsewhere). Paul learned from Titus that other missionaries had visited the congregation (the so-called "super-apostles"), and the congregation liked them better (2 Cor 11:5 and elsewhere) --- the exuberant and pneumatic-minded congregation apparently felt these new Jewish evangelists went beyond what Paul offered, that Paul's presentation was weak in comparison. Paul wrote back, defending his competence ((2 Cor 3:1-6 and elsewhere), rebutting what he heard third-hand about the competitors presentation of a mystical exegesis on the glory of Moses (2 Cor 3:5-18), and promoting his own spiritual competence (2 Cor 12:1-13 and elsewhere). Paul mustered all his rhetorical and exegetic resources in this letter to win-back the congregation, trying to retain some semblance of authority.

The passage 2 Corinthians 6:14 through 7:1 is widely recognized as an intrusive fragment that is out-of-place here. I agree.

This fourth letter concludes the Corinthian correspondence. And, I believe this is the very last we hear from Paul writing to any of his congregations. Our last glimpse reveals an embattled and downtrodden Paul --- some of his Galatians were turning to the Jewish Mosaic laws, he had been imprisoned in Ephesus, his work in Troas came to naught, and now, the Corinthians had been visited by missionaries they liked better than Paul. I'm not surprised Paul retreated to Macedonia, near his most supportive congregation --- the Philippians.

robert j.

ETA: have made some minor improvements and adjustments at the point of division between letters
Last edited by robert j on Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Here is my take on the Corinthians letters: At least 7 were written by Paul.
Explanation below:
Note: it is fully explained, better presented, more readable, with working links, color and bolding, on this webpage http://historical-jesus.info/appp.html

h) Spring 50 to spring 52: Paul's second journey leading to the creation of Christian communities in Macedonia (Philippi, Thessalonica and Berea), Athens? and Corinth (where he stays one year and a half - Ac18:11)

a) Spring 52: Paul's trip to Jerusalem from Corinth (fourteen years (Gal2:1) after the one in 38). The "council" of Jerusalem takes place then (See Appendix B for explanations).
b) Summer and early fall 52 (or earlier): Paul spends time in Antioch (dispute with Peter: Gal2:11-14) and departs (alone).
c) Fall 52 to winter 53: Paul becomes sick on his way NW and recuperates in "northern" Galatia where he makes converts (Gal4:13-15; Ac18:23,19:1a).
d) Winter 53: Paul's arrival in Ephesus. He learns Apollos & Peter had visited Corinth and each one got followers at his detriment (1Co1-4).
e) Winter 53 to spring 55: Paul preaches in Ephesus for two years and three months (Ac19:8,10). He feels partially abandoned by the Corinthians (1Co9). But, later, the situation improves greatly.
f) Spring 55: Paul's trip to Macedonia and then Corinth (2nd one here: 1Co16:5-8; 2Co13:1-2), where Paul is rejected. Likely no collection (as planned in 1Co16:1-4) is done.
g) Summer 55 to spring 56: Paul stays in Ephesus (about nine months).
h) Spring 56: Paul's short trip to Troas and Macedonia (where Paul hears the good news from Titus) then back to Ephesus (2Co1:15-24,7:5-7). Meanwhile a collection is started in Corinth (2Co8:10b-11).
i) Late spring 56: The "riot" in Ephesus.
j) Late spring 56 to fall 57: Paul is imprisoned in Ephesus. The collection in Corinth is aborted (2Co8:10b-11).
k) Fall 57: Paul is freed and goes to Macedonia (probably Philippi first).
l) Fall 57 to early spring 58: Paul visits the Macedonian Christians and then stays in Corinth (for three months (Ac20:3a); the third trip to that city). The collection is restarted and completed in Corinth (Ro15:26).
m) Late spring 58: Paul's arrival in Jerusalem and arrest (Ro15:25-26,31; Ac20,21)

The 1Corinthians letter is a combination of three letters by Paul:
'1aCorinthians' (written early 53): 1:10-4:21
'1bCorinthians' (written later in 53): 9:1-27
'1cCorinthians' (written early 55): the rest (except 1:4-9,14:33b-35,15:3-11,15:23-28 added later. See included explanations)

Why is '1Corinthians' made up of three different letters?
a) Different travel plans:
'1aCorinthians' --> 1Co4:17-19 "... but I will come to you very soon ..."; "... I am sending to you Timothy, ..."
'1cCorinthians' --> 1Co16:5-11 "After I go through Macedonia , I will come to you ... But I will stay on at Ephesus until Pentecost, ..." ; "... if Timothy comes, ..."

b) Different relationship between Paul and the Christians of Corinth:
Paul is partly rejected in '1aCorinthians':
1Co1:11b-12 "... there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ.""
and also in '1bCorinthians':
1Co9:1b-2a "... Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord? Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! ..."
However, he appears fully accepted in '1cCorinthians':
1Co16:10-11b "If Timothy comes, see to it that he has nothing to fear while he is with you, for he is carrying on the work of the Lord, just as I am. No one, then, should refuse to accept him ..."
totally in control, very confident, feeling free to ramble & reveal his inner thoughts and dealing as a bishop would towards his flock. For example, Paul is judging a sinner (as God would!):
1Co5:3b-5a "... And I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present. When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit , and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, hand this man over to Satan ..."
and putting himself as equal of the "Lord" in issuing commands:
1Co7:10,12 "To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. ... To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her."

c) Insertion:
'1bCorinthians' (all about Paul's problems) is evidently an insertion in a passage where Paul is rambling about Christian food, idolatry and sexual immorality (1Co5:1-8:13,10:1-11:1).
1Co8:11-13,10:1-3 "And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. [1bCorinthians inserted here]
Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, all ate the same spiritual food,"

The 2Corinthians letter is also a combination of three letters by Paul:
'2aCorinthians' (written late 55): 2:14-7:4 (except 5:10,6:14-7:1 added later. See included explanations)
'2bCorinthians' (written early 56): 10:1-13:10
'2cCorinthians' (written late 57): the rest (except 1:1-2,13:11-14 added later)

Why is '2Corinthians' made up of three different letters?
a) Insertion:
'2aCorinthians' is obviously an insertion in a passage dealing with Paul going to Macedonia to meet Titus.
2Co2:12-13,7:5-6 "Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me, I still had no peace of mind, because I did not find my brother Titus there. So I said good-by to them and went on to Macedonia. [2aCorinthians inserted here] For when we came into Macedonia, this body of ours had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn--conflicts on the outside, fears within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him."

Note: '2aCorinthians' was written from the point of view of Paul and his helpers, using "we", "us" & "ours". The Christian "editor" likely changed the "I", "me" & "mine" in the three verses after the insertion. Afterwards, things become more normal:
2Co7:7-8 "... us ... me ... me ... my ... I ... my ... I ... I ... I ... my ..."
b) Different relationship between Paul and the Christians of Corinth:
Almost fully rejected in '2aCorinthians':
2Co6:12-13 "We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. We are not withholding our affection from you, but you are withholding yours from us. As a fair exchange --I speak as to my children-- open wide your hearts also."
2Co7:2-3 "Make room for us in your hearts. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have exploited no one. I do not say this to condemn you; I have said before that you have such a place in our hearts that we would live or die with you."
and also in '2bCorinthians':
2Co12:20b-21a "... I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you ..."
2Co13:1-3a "This will be my third visit to you. "Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses." I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent: On my return I will not spare those who sinned earlier or any of the others, since you are demanding proof that Christ is speaking through me."
But Paul is fully accepted (but cautious) in '2cCorinthians':
2Co1:21-22 "Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come."
2Co7:7 "... He [Titus] told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever."
To the same Christians, Paul is imploring for reconciliation in '2aCorinthians' (2Co5:19-20), he is most angry in '2bCorinthians' (2Co11:13-15) but very forgiving (2Co2:5-11,7:8-9) & friendly in '2cCorinthians':
2Co7:16 "I am glad I can have complete confidence in you [the Christians of Corinth]."

c) The mentioned other letter:
In '2cCorinthians', Paul keeps referring to a letter he wrote earlier:
2Co2:3-4a "I wrote as I did so that when I came I should not be distressed by those who ought to make me rejoice ... For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears ..."
2Co2:9 "The reason I wrote you was to see if you would stand the test and be obedient in everything."
2Co7:8 "Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it -- I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while--"
The letter in question is undoubtebly '2bCorinthians':
2Co12:21 "I am afraid that when I come again ... I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier ..."
2Co13:5-6 "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you-- unless, of course, you fail the test? And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test."

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

That Paul was visiting or interacting with established churches suggests the Pauline narrative, or some of the Pauline narrative, is post 1st century ...
robert j

Post by robert j »

MrMacSon wrote,
That Paul was visiting or interacting with established churches suggests the Pauline narrative, or some of the Pauline narrative, is post 1st century ...

Sure. That is if one makes what I believe to be the mistake of including as part of the “Pauline narrative” the legendary and mostly fictional tales of Paul found in the Acts of the Apostles.

robert j.
robert j

Post by robert j »

Bernard wrote,
The 2Corinthians letter is also a combination of three letters by Paul:
'2aCorinthians' (written late 55): 2:14-7:4 (except 5:10,6:14-7:1 added later. See included explanations)
'2bCorinthians' (written early 56): 10:1-13:10
'2cCorinthians' (written late 57): the rest (except 1:1-2,13:11-14 added later)

We have significantly different solutions to the re-arrangement of the Corinthian correspondence. For now, I just picked one item. One item from your solution that appears to violate the time-line. Just one of the problematic items that result from your arrangement of the letters.

If I’m reading this part of the Corinthian correspondence correctly, it seems that --- according to your arrangement of the letters and your timeline --- you have Paul claiming that he, Titus and “the brother” did not take advantage of the congregation more than a year before Paul had even sent Titus and “the brother”.

Here are pertinent passages, presented in the chronological sequence according to your timeline ----

You have this passage as part of the correspondence written in early 56 CE,
“Did I take advantage of you by anyone I sent you? I urged Titus and I sent the brother with him. Titus did not take advantage of you.” 2 Corinthians 12:17-18
But the problem is, according to your timeline, Paul had not even sent Titus and the brother until late 57 CE, more than a year later. In the context of the collection for the ”saints” in Jerusalem ---
“Thanks be to god who put the same earnestness for you into the heart of Titus … with him we have sent the brother … also having been chosen by the assemblies to accompany us with this gift that is being administered by us … show them the proof of your love and our boasting about you.” 2 Corinthians 8:16-19 and 8:24.
robert j.
ghost

Post by ghost »

robert j wrote:
MrMacSon wrote,

Sure. That is if one makes what I believe to be the mistake of including as part of the “Pauline narrative” the legendary and mostly fictional tales of Paul found in the Acts of the Apostles.
How do you know some weird kind of churches didn't exist before Paul?
steve43

Post by steve43 »

You nay-sayers will never admit that Acts was a pre-revolt document.

One interesting aspect is the Archeological evidence for one of the characters found in Acts, Julius Gallio. It was an inscription found at Delphi.

From Hagan's "Fires of Rome"

Chapter 18 in Acts has Paul moving on to Corinth. There he
met two Christian converts who apparently been expelled from
Rome by Claudius. They were tentmakers which was Paul’s
background, and Paul stayed with them. Silas and Timothy
traveled down from Macedonia to join them.
Paul stayed in Corinth, a famously corrupt city, for more than
18 months. During that time, he so angered the Jews that he was
brought before Achaean Proconsul Junio Gallio for his religious
crimes—who dismissed them.

(Acts ASV)
18:1After these things he departed from Athens, and came to Corinth.
18:2And he found a certain Jew named Aquila, a man of Pontus by race,
lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had
commanded all the Jews to depart from Rome: and he came unto them;
18:3and because he was of the same trade, he abode with them, and they
wrought, for by their trade they were tentmakers. 18:4And he reasoned in
the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded Jews and Greeks. 18:5But
when Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul was
constrained by the word, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ.
18:6And when they opposed themselves and blasphemed, he shook out
his raiment and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I
am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles….
18:11And he dwelt there a year and six months, teaching the word of God
among them. 18:12But when Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews
276 Fires of Rome
with one accord rose up against Paul and brought him before the
judgment-seat, 18:13saying, This man persuadeth men to worship God
contrary to the law. 18:14But when Paul was about to open his mouth,
Gallio said unto the Jews, If indeed it were a matter of wrong or of
wicked villany, O ye Jews, reason would that I should bear with you:
18:15but if they are questions about words and names and your own law,
look to it yourselves; I am not minded to be a judge of these matters.
18:16And he drove them from the judgment-seat. 18:17And they all laid
hold on Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue, and beat him before the
judgment-seat. And Gallio cared for none of these things.

Gallio and the Delphic Inscription
Fragments of a temple inscription from Emperor Claudius to
honor Apollo were found in 1905 at Delphi. When deciphered,
Gallio’s tenure as proconsul of Achaea can be linked to a rough
time period within Claudius’ reign. The inscription was
probably made in honor of the week-long Pythian Games that
took place in the summer of A.D. 52. The games included music
and play competitions as well as athletic contests. The fragments
make it indisputable that Gallio was the Achaean Proconsul in
the summer of A.D. 52.
They read:

Tiber[ius Claudius C]aes[ar August]us G[ermanicus, great high priest
(Pontifex maximus), in the 12th (year) of his tribunican power, (acclaimed)
[absolute ruler for the] 26th time, fa[ther of the cou]ntry counsel for the 5th time,
Censor, to the city of Delphi, greetings.
For a long [time] have I been devoted to the city of Delphi and well-disposed
from the beg inning, [and] I have always observ[ed th]e worsh[ip of the
Pythian] Apo[llo.
But now as for what is said about tho[se qu]arrels among the [cit]izens, of
wh[ich Lucius Ju]nius Gallio, my f[riend] and [proco]nsul [of Achaia], ... still to
maintain the previous decree.

The twelfth year of Claudius’ reign and his fifth year as
Censor would have been A.D. 52.
According to our time line the summit meeting in Jerusalem
was still one year away. Paul’s stay in Corinth occurred after
that which means that the short-lived trial in front of Gallio had
to occur in A.D. 54.
Is that reasonable to assume? Proconsuls in foreign provinces
were appointed to yearly terms by the Senate Consuls, who took
office in January and themselves served only a single year. Did
Gallio then leave office at the end of A.D. 52—rendering our
chronology untenable?
However, taking a broader look at contemporaneous Roman
history, our hypothesized time line is actually strengthened.

The Ambition of Agrippina

The Proconsul position of Achaea was a new creation and
Gallio was apparently the first to serve in that capacity. Gallio
was the full brother of the famous philosopher and writer Lucius
Seneca, who served as the tutor of Nero and later his political
confident. In A.D. 41, Seneca was exiled to Corsica by Claudius
at the request of Claudius’ profligate wife Messalina. Gallio was
almost certainly exiled along with him.
But Messalina was executed in A.D. 48 for supposedly
conspiring against Claudius. Claudius now needed a Queen of
unquestioned pedigree. General Lucius Vitellius, Claudius’ right
hand man, was instrumental in getting the Senate to relax its
laws against incest so that Claudius could marry his niece
Agrippina the Younger. The marriage took place in A.D. 49.
Agrippina quickly persuaded Claudius to return Seneca from
exile, presumably along with Gallio. Agrippina was especially
keen that Seneca be the tutor to her son Domitius, the future
Emperor Nero, who was then 12 years of age. Claudius also
succumbed to the urging of Agrippina on another important
issue—Domitius was adopted as his legal heir in A.D. 50. The
previous heir was Britannicus who was Claudius’ son by
Messalina. Then at the age of nine, Britannicus demonstrated
none of the physical disabilities of his father. Likely Agrippina
planned on killing Claudius at her convenience after her son
Domitius became heir. But Agrippina had enemies of her own,
and many powerful Romans were impressed with the young
Britannicus and still favored him over Domitius.
The death of Lucius Vitellius in A.D. 51 might have
emboldened Agrippina in her plan to kill Claudius. By this time,
thanks to Agrippina's influrnce Seneca had risen to become one
of Claudius' top advisors. To insure a smooth transition of
power from Claudius to Domitius after the murder, Agrippina
and Seneca placed partisans in positions of power throughout
the empire. One of these partisons was Junius Gallio, Seneca’s
brother, who was appointed to the new position of Proconsul of
Achaea in A.D. 52.
Marcus Pallas was another member of Claudius' inner circle,
as well as being Agrippina's paramour. Pallas’ brother Felix was
appointed the Procurator of Judea in the same year, A.D. 52.
To have Gallio serve only one year would not make political
sense. Even if he did not enjoy the position, which other ancient
writings suggest, Gallio would not have been allowed to resign
until after Nero had assumed power in late A.D. 54 and
demonstrated that he was firmly in control.....
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

steve43 wrote:You nay-sayers will never admit that Acts was a pre-revolt document.

One interesting aspect is the Archeological evidence for one of the characters found in Acts, Julius Gallio. It was an inscription found at Delphi.
By the same logic of your implied argument Tacitus wrote his Annals within four years of your date for the completion of Luke's Acts.

I don't know anyone who doubts that the story of Acts was set in the "pre-revolt" era. Everyone who's ever read a basic introduction or commentary on Acts knows the archaeological evidence for Gallio and his date of his office.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to robert j
You have this passage as part of the correspondence written in early 56 CE,
“Did I take advantage of you by anyone I sent you? I urged Titus and I sent the brother with him. Titus did not take advantage of you.” 2 Corinthians 12:17-18
But the problem is, according to your timeline, Paul had not even sent Titus and the brother until late 57 CE, more than a year later. In the context of the collection for the ”saints” in Jerusalem ---
“Thanks be to god who put the same earnestness for you into the heart of Titus … with him we have sent the brother … also having been chosen by the assemblies to accompany us with this gift that is being administered by us … show them the proof of your love and our boasting about you.” 2 Corinthians 8:16-19 and 8:24.
I do not see a problem. Titus and the brother had been sent when the Corinthian Christians had abandoned Paul. Paul wrote 2b Corinthians when the twosome was in Corinth trying to patch up things.

Later, when Paul wrote 2c Corinthians, Paul reported that in the past, he met Titus in Macedonia, after Titus had returned from Corinth with the good news: the Corinthians had re-accepted Paul as an apostle.

As for your theory, you say that 2 Cor 8:10 (letter 3) "And in this matter I give my advice: it is best for you now to complete what a year ago you began not only to do but to desire," was not in the same letter than 2 Cor 9:2 (letter 2) "for I know your readiness, of which I boast about you to the people of Macedo'nia, saying that Acha'ia has been ready since last year; and your zeal has stirred up most of them."
But it looks it did.

Furthermore, as I already posted:
In '2cCorinthians', Paul keeps referring to a letter he wrote earlier:
2Co2:3-4a "I wrote as I did so that when I came I should not be distressed by those who ought to make me rejoice ... For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears ..."
2Co2:9 "The reason I wrote you was to see if you would stand the test and be obedient in everything."
2Co7:8 "Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it -- I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while--"
The letter in question is undoubtebly '2bCorinthians':
2Co12:21 "I am afraid that when I come again ... I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier ..."
2Co13:5-6 "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you-- unless, of course, you fail the test? And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test."

Also, to the same Christians, Paul is imploring for reconciliation in '2aCorinthians' (2:14-7:4) =>2Co5:19-20, but he is most angry in '2bCorinthians' (ch. 10 to 13) =>2Co11:13-15.

So, from the above, it looks your letter 2 was actually two different letters.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed